Liberty and Flume on the 26th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRiz

Reaction score
A few people have contacted me expressing interest in this hike, so I've decided to make things a little more formal and put together an open call.

Start Time: 8:00am - Whitehouse Trailhead parking area (north of the FVC is where the Whitehouse Trail starts). Please be sure to arrive a few minutes early. I intend to leave right at 8!

Route: Liberty Spring Trail/Franconia Ridge Trail rt

I am heading north very early tomorrow morning, and will therefore have limited access to the internet for most, if not all, of the day. This means that I will not be able to update this thread last-minute if plans change. If you're thinking of joining us but still don't know for certain, I have no problems at all sending out my cell # - just shoot me a PM.

Post back if interested! Friday is shaping up to be a fantastic day and it should be a ton of fun.

Last edited:
You might want to park at the Whitehouse parking lot instead of the FVC because it is a shorter hike to the Liberty/Flume trailhead. It is the next parking lot after the FVC heading north on rt.3. You park and do a walk in the woods for .6 and then follow the bike path north to the trailhead. Have fun, it is a great hike. Whitehouse is between FVC and the Basin.

The advantage of the Visitor Center start is that the road is easier (and faster) to hike than the Whitehouse Trail The advantage of the Whitehouse trailhead is that it saves a (very) few tenths of a mile.

For the best of both worlds start at the Whitehouse trailhead and take the trail that leaves the southern end of the parking lot to the bike path/snowmobile trail.

Thanks for the advice! I'll update my original post accordingly. :)

Have fun on Lincoln/Lafayette, Brian. I'll be sure to wave to you guys as well... :D

I'm game if you're the one breaking trail. :D

I realize that just because there isn’t a report posted doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. :rolleyes: But…

On December 11 when I hiked through the area there was no sign of traffic at all on the FRT north of the junction with the Liberty Spring Trail. I have seen no reports posted to indicate anybody has hiked that section of trail. There was a fair amount of snow there on the 11th. I heard the area got hit with a pretty good storm within the last week.

You may want to bring a few friends. ;)

I'm in, with OldMan

The Whitehouse parking area is off the parkway? Or is it really off route 3 (to the east of the parkway)? I've only gone from the FVC.

(Looking on a different map, it looks like exit 34A, past the FVC and into the next area)

If you want to carpool, we can meet in Bedford (at Macy's) or in Concord (Einstein Brothers or the bus terminal/Park-And-Ride.) PM me if interested. I've got OldMan Ed already, so one (two if small) spaces available.

I'd be willing/interested in going up Liberty Springs and out Osseo if people want.

Tim

Last edited:
I'm in, with OldMan

The Whitehouse parking area is off the parkway? Or is it really off route 3 (to the east of the parkway)? I've only gone from the FVC.

(Looking on a different map, it looks like exit 34A, past the FVC and into the next area)

If you want to carpool, we can meet in Bedford (at Macy's) or in Concord (Einstein Brothers or the bus terminal/Park-And-Ride.) PM me if interested. I've got OldMan Ed already, so one (two if small) spaces available.

I'd be willing/interested in going up Liberty Springs and out Osseo if people want.

Tim

Hey Tim,

It is at the Flume visitor center, just head for the far northern parking lot. The Bike Path starts from there along a paved (well, probably not noticable right now :D) section from which it starts on your right (I believe, since I have only ever gone as far as the trail to Indian Head.)

Brian

Now you've got me confused about where you're starting, and I'm not even participating in this hike! Lriz said Whitehouse, but Brian said Flume.

The bike path does indeed start at the Flume Visitor's Center, but the Whitehouse Trailhead is as Tim notes at the next turn off of Rte 3 (the last turn before 3 joins the parkway) and is its own parking lot with privy.

At the Whitehouse parking lot you can cut through the brush about a dozen yards and be on the bike path instead of taking the meandering trail.

Note that the bike path is a snowmobile route in winter, so be alert, listen carefully, and stay to the edges of the path.

And to add the confusion the WMG 27th ed says that the Whitehouse parking area is no longer available ;) I've ever only heard of going from the Basin, using the optional Basin-Bushwhack, and from the hiker's area at the Flume Visitor's Center.

Since LRiz is mostly off-line, let's just stick with her plan. I'll probably call her if we don't hear otherwise some time early evening, and if she can't post an update I will, say by 9pm, OK? That way we can work out the exact spot, route, car spot, etc., if desired.

Tim

I don't think calling it the Whitehouse parking area is the best. Maybe Whitehouse Trailhead parking area is more correct. So as not to confuse it with Whitehouse Bridge parking area which is different. The Whitehouse Bridge parking area is the one near where the Liberty Springs trails starts and where parking is no longer accessible.

The Whitehouse Trailhead parking area is north of the FVC is where the Whitehouse Trail starts. Exit off of 93 onto Rte 3 following signs for FVC, but drive past it maybe 500-1000 ft and the parking area is on your right.

The big advantage to starting from FVC or the Whitehouse Trailhead parking area is that if coming from the south you don't have to drive all the way up to Cannon Tramway exit to reverse direction as you would if you started from the Basin Parking Area.

If you did want to start from the Basin area and do the bushwhack, it is described well here.

I think I need one more day of recovery from trailbreaking on Tuesday before hiking again, otherwise I'd join in on this hike.

And to add the confusion the WMG 27th ed says that the Whitehouse parking area is no longer available ;) I've ever only heard of going from the Basin, using the optional Basin-Bushwhack, and from the hiker's area at the Flume Visitor's Center.
Historically, the Liberty Springs Tr used to come right out to the road (Rte 3 back then) to the Whitehouse Bridge Parking area. When Rte 93 was run through the Notch, the trailhead was moved to the bike/snowmobile path and the parking area was moved south to its current location on Rte 3 just south of the junction of Rtes 3 and 93. The new section of trail connecting the parking lot to the bike path is named "Whitehouse Trail". I don't see a formal name for the new parking lot in the 28th ed of the WMG, but "Whitehouse Trail parking lot" would be technically correct and "Whitehouse parking lot" would at least be unambiguous since there is no longer a parking lot at Whitehouse Bridge.

The turn-off to Liberty Springs Tr (from the bike/snowmobile path) is about midway between the Basin and the new hiker's parking area. About .8 mi either way.

Doug

Last edited:
When I did the loop we started up at teh Basin lot and did the short whack. I was under the impression that FVC was where the trail parking for the southern end was since when Jen and I went to do Mt. Pemi all those years ago we saw a large group of backpackers there as well who were heading up to do the loop. So I apologize for adding to the mass confusion. :D

Brian

My apologies for the confusion! I am referring to the Whitehouse Trailhead parking area (north of the FVC), and have updated my original post accordingly.

See you all at 8:00am... well, most likely a few minutes before. :)

If you did want to start from the Basin area and do the bushwhack, it is described well here.

we did three liberty attempts last year doing shorthanded trailbreaking on two tries and succeeding on one starting from the basin and using the bushwack/old trail there..easy to follow...saves some distance....and time

in anmy event...have fun

Last edited: