Thread: Parking for Kinsman Mt. Trail

Parking for Kinsman Mt. Trail

Hi all,
    Just wondering if there is available winter parking on Route 116 or nearby, for the Kinsman Mt. Trail.

I guess we could shovel out a spot if required, but would like to avoid that

Thanks as always,
    Marty
    So when you reach the bottom line
    The only thing to do is climb
    Pick yourself up off the floor
    Anything ya want is yours

Song: Bottom Line
    Artist: Big Audio Dynamite
    Album: This is Big Audio Dynamite
    Year: 1985

Never done it from Rt 116 in winter, but Steve Smith and Mike Dickerman in The 4000-Footers of the White Mountains write:
    Space for cars is limited alongside 116, so it may be difficult in winter to find adequate parking near the Mt. Kinsman trail at the Easton-Franconia town line -- bring a shovel.
    Or do it from the notch

I've snowshoed it a couple times as it's a nicer grade, once asked at nearby house and they said I could park in clearing, another time just parked on road.

The big issue with roadside parking is don't park there if it's likely to snow, they may not see you and hit car with plow or else have vehicle towed.

Thanks Mohamed and Roy. Much appreciated.

Marty
    So when you reach the bottom line
    The only thing to do is climb
    Pick yourself up off the floor
    Anything ya want is yours

Song: Bottom Line
    Artist: Big Audio Dynamite
    Album: This is Big Audio Dynamite
    Year: 1985

As everyone knows, things can sometimes change very quickly, but hereís an "FYI" for what itís worth.

Yesterday morning (30-Dec), I drove by the Route 116 trailhead for the Mt. Kinsman Trail. At that particular moment in time, it appeared to me that it would be problematic to park on the road-shoulder.

Does anyone have any recent info to add on the parking situation? Is parking possible without shoveling? Any alternative places to park nearby? If there is parking how many cars can fit?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyF View Post
    Does anyone have any recent info to add on the parking situation? Is parking possible without shoveling? Any alternative places to park nearby? If there is parking how many cars can fit?
    I'd say that, unless you know one of the landowners, you're better off planning on shovelling out a space.

Lack of parking may be the reason we saw no footprints on that trail when we passed it yesterday when on the Kinsmans. You'll be breaking trail in deep snow if you go there. Lonesome Lake and Fishin Jimmy trails are both well broken out if you decide to go that way.

JohnL
    Once in a while
    You get shown the light
    In the strangest of places
    If you look at it right.
    R. Hunter

Although it was years ago, I could never find the trailhead to Kinsman. Walked thru several backyards, and met many walking around the woods who were also perplexed. Finally did it from the Notch. Really POed as it was my last NH 4000 ftr.

Quote Originally Posted by rup View Post
    Although it was years ago, I could never find the trailhead to Kinsman. Walked thru several backyards, and met many walking around the woods who were also perplexed.

Literally adjacent to the town border sign.

The trail is used a lot by locals to hike up to Bald Peak, so the last 1.25 miles may be all that needs to be broken out. You might check with the local police regarding parking and perhaps meet elsewhere and car pool in a large vehicle to the trailhead.

Has anyone ever figured out the story behind the large (a couple of stories) wooden structure that is in the woods to the left a few hundred yards in.? It appears to be a piece of modern architecture left over from the sixties and given the town its in, is probably a left over from Franconia College. Either that or someone raided Expo 67 for a building or its definitive proof that the aliens have landed and they build their spaceships out of wood

Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    It appears to be a piece of modern architecture left over from the sixties and given the town its in, is probably a left over from Franconia College.
    No....but it's a long story. Just think of it as a large sugar house. And thank the owners for the access they offer over private land at the beginning of the MKT.