Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snowshoe vs barebooting

Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    The real issue is in the steeps. When postholers wreck the consolidated snow pack it becomes salt which offers absolutely no traction at all with snowshoes.

Do what you want but at least consider the guy behind you.
    What's worse? Doing that or sliding down the sections and wiping out what was done on the way up?

Man, my first pair of snowshoes arrive next week.. just wait til this 300 lb. bear on his 32" shoes hit the trail.
    "The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait till that other is ready." - Thoreau

I have been on well packed trails that are barley the width of one snow show. Keeping the snow shoes on meant I had to walk funny(toe to toe). That causes pain in my hips after awhile, not to mention tripping constantly.

South Metro Denver Avatar: Basin Ponds Bullwinkle
    I'm no lover of postholes, but I'd much rather endure postholes than stay home!

Happy New Year. May your trails be merry and white, regardless of texture.

Weatherman
    --would rather be hiking than typing.

Lightbulb Idea

Recently, I wrote a letter to Nintendo, requesting that they make a "Winter Hiking" game for their Wii system. I carefully explained that winter hiking in the Northeast has become far too dangerous for the average New Englander -- post holed trails, or packed trails ruined by careless buttsliders are the norm leaving us to decide do we stay home and watch television or do we risk serious bodily harm or at least a day's worth of aggravation being out in the woods, tripping over some yokel's postholes. I've actually resorted to volunteering at work to come in on the weekends for free in order to avoid my conundrum of deciding what to do. But now, I've come up with a solution that will leave the cavemen to their knuckledragging postholing techniques and enable me to enjoy winter hiking with fresh, nicely groomed trails!

What I proposed to Nintendo was a multi-parted scheme. First, the game itself, obviously titled "W48" -- the object being to hike all 48 NH 4k peaks in Winter. Second, the gamer would wear special "shoes" that would mimic the motion of snow shoes (with a special "crampon" attachment) therefore enabling this to be an "interactive" and "workout" style game so that you're actually exercising in the process. No couch potatoes please: only those in top physical shape need apply. The third and last idea, and probably an very optional and expensive add-on is for those that would enjoy the W48 Wii game but would miss the cold "Winter" experience.... a refrigerated suit that the user would wear in order to play the game. This "Eco-Suit" would replicate "Winter Conditions" that the user would expect to encounter in his or her hike: snow, occasional freezing rain (Turn the game off!), extreme cold and so on. The particularly hardy gamer would find that by wearing the Eco-Suit one would enhance the extreme physical aspect of Winter Hiking in the Whites.

I haven't heard back from Nintendo and frankly, I'm pessimistic about the game reaching the general public by 2011 which means we'll have to wait a few years to be able to enjoy Winter hiking that the Giggy's and Fulsteroy's have stolen from us with their post holes and bareboots. But alas, it will be worth the wait. In the meantime, you can help by bombarding Nintendo with requests for a W48 game for the Wii... but don't expect compensation because it was my idea first. *Note: I asked Nintendo not to design the game with postholed trails as a potential hazard. I just told them to leave that idea at home.

-Dr. Wu
    Last edited by dr_wu002; 12-29-2008 at 11:53 AM.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
    -Thomas Paine

As others mentioned it seems silly to whine about the condition of the trail, are you expecteing it to be groomed for you?

I do belong in the snowshoes are a necessary evil. If you are not post-holing making 0 - 4" hole regularly, mandating show shoes or getting all lathered up about it goes against the whole hike your own hike mantra.

For those people who don't glissade, glissader's make the trails an icy chute but it's a proper decent technique. people going up afterwards just may need their crampons.

Why don't we ever talk about why all the winter hikers pack down the snow so much that come Spring time, the last place snow melts is on the trail (hence the monorail effect come April & May) if no one was winter hiking, there would be no monorail & in many cases trails would melt sooner since they get a bit more sun.

While some people post holing cause a greater percentage of winter hikers grief, all wiinter hikers (still a small number) are causing the 3 season hiking population (a much bigger number just not fanatical enough to be on VFTT) more grief.

"Adapt & overcome" people
    Last edited by Mike P.; 12-29-2008 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_wu002 View Post
    Recently, I wrote a letter to Nintendo, requesting that they make a "Winter Hiking" game for their Wii system.
    Can you include fines for those who get lost?

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul View Post
    Can you include fines for those who get lost?

Doug
    Doug, be realistic. If Nintendo found a way to actually fine users during play the entire US economy would fall into a recession.

-Dr. Wu
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
    -Thomas Paine

Another sure sign of winter ... the perennial postholing imbroglio.

I am less inconvenienced by postholers than I am in pity of them. The wasted energy, the risk of injury ... I've tried to imagine what the resistence is to snowshoes, outdoor tools that have served mankind from prehistoric times.

Is it the affordability? Is it a sense self reliance? Is it the desire of a more challenging hike? Curious minds want to know.

There are also those bothered by the track left by glissading.

Personally, there are things to get more upset about. I'll let you know what they are when I have some idle time to think about it.

Meanwhile, when I hike I expect things to be ... well ,,, less than some false sense of what an ideal trail should be. That's life on the trail. That's life period. Roots, rock, bugs and mud don't deter me in the summer ... I'll be damned if I give a few bumps and grinds much thought in the winter, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    I am less inconvenienced by postholers than I am in pity of them. The wasted energy, the risk of injury ... I've tried to imagine what the resistence is to snowshoes, outdoor tools that have served mankind from prehistoric times.

Is it the affordability? Is it a sense self reliance? Is it the desire of a more challenging hike? Curious minds want to know.
    I have noticed that a lack of snowshoeing skill is correlated with postholing...

(This anecdotal conclusion was reached back when I was an outing club leader and often knew who the postholer was and what his skills were.)

One can often save energy by using snowshoes when one only sinks in a couple of inches. But those who only use them as a last resort will never discover this...

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dr_wu002 View Post
    Doug, be realistic. If Nintendo found a way to actually fine users during play the entire US economy would fall into a recession.
    Ok, so make it a virtual fine.

Or if the fine goes to the US Treasury, we might be able to pay off the national debt, the bailouts, and reduce taxes!

Doug

Perhaps the cure for all these trail complaints is to mandate a series of bushwacks to be taken first.
    Thereafter, any kind of a trail will seem wonderful

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Another sure sign of winter ... the perennial postholing imbroglio.
    Five points to Stan for using imbroglio correctly in a sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul View Post
    One can often save energy by using snowshoes when one only sinks in a couple of inches. But those who only use them as a last resort will never discover this...

Doug
    Assuming I'm not slipping back with each step I'm taking or expending extra effort into kicking steps & my normal step clears the ground by several inches, please enlighten those of us who don't gleefully don our snowshoes at the first sign of snow how strapping 2-3 pounds on our feet is easier than not strapping them on. (Sarcasm can be a mouthful)

Last I read, (I forgotten the exact numbers but suspect someone here has them) every pound on your feet is equal to approx. 3 pounds on your pack. So how does adding two pounds or so to each foot going to easier than carrying 4 pounds on my pack when I don't need the advantages that weight provides on my feet, it seems silly. Maybe Kobe should have worn ankle weights + his sneakers on 12/25.

Personally, I'd say for me I'd have to postholing several inches, over four in packed conditions, 6-8 in powder since you easily stride through (if you have to kick through it, it's not easy) powder, before snowshoes on my feet would be preferrable to snowshoes on my back.

Since we are all built a bit different maybe those of us built more like a beast of burden find it easier to bear the load on our back while the gazelles have a greater percent of their strength in their legs so wearing heavy footwear is not so bad.
    Last edited by Mike P.; 01-01-2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: typos
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Heck, and I thought Imbroglio was some kind of pasta