Snowshoe vs barebooting

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear a lot of different viewpoints, many of which had valid points. I am not in favor of regulations or rules, that makes hiking more like the daily world we all strive to escape temporarily. There are conditions when snowshoes are not the best choice - when this happens you should take them off. I think the problem is many people push the envelope, saying smugly to themselves "These conditions are OK to bareboot," when they really aren't. It is a free country; do as you wish. I wish for days after a big storm, when we can break trail all day and have a blast --- and our own trail!

There was three of us in the party ascending a trail, two were wearing crampons and one was wearing snowshoes when we met a VFTT user and longtime hiker descending. We were leaving footprints (not postholes) about 1 inch deep.
I take it that Cinder was one of those wearing crampons not snowshoes? Which could lead to a whole new flame war - postholing by dogs - WMNF bans them on some XC trails :)

If you want to eliminate 1" holes in snow, now you're talking about banning certain brands of snowshoe crampons particularly when snow is balling up on them

I wish for days after a big storm, when we can break trail all day and have a blast --- and our own trail!
Go bushwhacking, you can break trail anytime :)

I will have to respectfully disagee. I know that on my last trip up Pierce (it used to be a bridal path so grades are pretty easy) I never slipped, not once. Adding more weight to my foot for some cleats & floatation I did not need would have been pointless.

Slipping would have to occur many times before snowshoes would be preferrable, IMO. (the grades on Fishin Jimmy above after the first 1/2 mile or so come to mind - I seem to recall, putting the shoes on for that reason but it was every 20-40 feet that one foot would slip)

My stride with snowshoes changes slightly, my feet are a bit wider apart (because one shoe can't overlap the other without falling:eek:) but I don't shorten my stride without them or take longer strides with them.

When throwing snowshoes at me, please throw both, that way I'll have a spare pair, one extra doesn't do me much good, of course you'll be barebooting it back to your car. (Or if that sarcasm sound too inflammatory - do I need to weight for you to sit down, take off your snowshoes before you throw them???)

Ha ha! If you'd be so kind to wait for me to take them off, I'd appreciate it!

In all seriousness, I seem to be one of the few people that actually prefers to use snowshoes, even when they're not absolutely necessary. I do find it to be a mild annoyance to hike on a postholed trail, but I don't care about it enough to get into flame wars online about it. It's just not worth it. My feeling is that if you want things to be easy, you can stay home and sit on the couch and you'll never have to worry about trail conditions. Hiking is all about overcoming challenges, and if I end up on a postholed trail, well, then that's just another challenge to face that day. ;)

Peace.

Barebooting either impoverished,stupid or selfish

It's been my experience that barebooters care not about the knees and orthopedic safety of other climbers.

So unless your poor if I run into you screwing up a trail you better be faster.
CLimbing Stallion/BMT

Barebooters either impoverished,stupid or selfish

It's been my experience that barebooters care not about the knees and orthopedic safety of other climbers.

So unless your poor ...if I run into you screwing up a trail you better be faster.
CLimbing Stallion/BMT

I think most folks here are missing the fact that barebooting is an art.

You have to find the perfect balance between making a hole shallow enough to step out of, but deep enough to twist snowshoeing ankles.

You have to space your steps so it is not only efficient for you to move forward, but also erratic enough to throw off anyone who is trying to find a pattern around the holes.

Meanwhile you have to be extra careful of your energy exertion and temperature regulation since barebooting takes quite an effort and when you encounter a snowshoer you must still have some energy left to fight off his flailing snowshoe kicks (tip:make postholes around the snowshoer to throw them off their stance).

With enough practice and concentration you can then stare back with pride on your glorious holes and their wake of left-for-dead snowshoers.

Reactions: MEB
Glad this thread didn't get as heated as the Facebook issue about whether breastfeeding mothers could post their photos.:p

DaveG

Hey, I'm a backcountry skier, so if anything I'm even more upset about post holed trails.

To practice NH backcountry skiing I make postholes all over the hill in my back yard. Then I sprinkle water over any powder and let it freeze overnight to a nice ice and breakable crust coating.

In the morning, I have the perfect practice trail.

I remember a thread like this last year. I agree with what Carmel said. I think I winter hiked for 20 years and didn't realize postholes bothered anyone until I read about it on vftt. I didn't even think about it. Some people have snowshoes, some people can't afford them or don't go often.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet, but the debate (IMHO) should not be 'bare'boot vs snowshoes these days. Stabilicers have become my favorite piece of gear, in times where there is snow on the trails, but not enough to warrant snow shoes.