Rock Scrambling Locations???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
I'm looking to try something different besides just hiking & I love what I guess is referred to as scrambling now. I'm not talking about "slides" - although you do scramble up them, or "bouldering" - but rather areas of large rock fall that you climb up/over/under etc using your hands and feet. I've been told that a place called Spider's Web cliff is very good but I've never heard of it and can't find any info or pics on it & also the lower Washbowl cliffs. Any ideas or suggestions? Can anyone tell me where Spiders' Web is???
Thankx

Check out this thread

Huntington Ravine on the east side of Mt Washington is a lot of fun. The Devil's Path in the Catskills has some neat scrambles. I've recently seen some awesome pics (thanks Mr. Oysterhead) of the Trap Dike on Colden and am anxious to explore it.

Also, the Shawanagunks offer lots of scrambles including the Mohonk Preserve (see avatar).

Last edited:
If your heading south on 73, Spider's Web is on your left just after the first parking lot for Giant. It's huge and easily seen from the road. The next cliff on the same side as Spider's Web, is Lower Washbowl Cliff.

To climb these faces would not be 3rd or 4th class scrambling, but true 5th class rock climbing where a rope, protection and the knowledge to use the equipment is needed. You might be able to scramble up the sides of these cliffs as the angle lessens.

There's plenty of talus for scrambling at the base of these cliffs, but that would probably amuse you for about 5mins or so. If you want to learn how to climb these faces, learn how to climb by going with somebody expierenced, or by getting some professional instruction.

Spider's Web http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=27455 http://www.adackclimbs.com/spiders_web.htm

Last edited:
DihedralDude - reply

thanks for the info - but where you saying both washbowl & spider's web were rope climbable only? the reason i'm asking is, i got those locations from a friend of mine who knows that area very well, is a world-class climber (actually my ice climbing instructor) & knew i was looking for non-rope climbing stuff. i even sent him a picture - i always trust his suggestions so i'm surprised you seem to differ so much on what can/can not be done. but, that's why i ask around before just waisting my time & being disappointed when i get there. i'm not looking for smoother type slides to climb, like dix etc. i like the big chunky rocks to climb on! he may have misunderstood me too. i don't want a bunch of rocks just laying at the base to play on but picture a "slide" of big rocks to take me to the top!
thankx for the info!

Last edited:
The Spider's Web face and most of the lower washbowl cliffs are 5th class, meaning they require a rope. If you look at the picture on rockclimbing.com of the Spider's Web, there might be a 3rd of 4th class scramble to the top of the cliff on the right side of the picture. The ADK climbing guide says "the south end descent is steep and loose" which is the right side of that picture, it could be interesting.
The lower washbowl cliffs probably have some scrambles. The rock isn't sheer like the Spider's Web, very broken up. The guide has a photo, but I couldn't find one online.
You should be able to find some neat scrambles around either cliff, just walk to the ends of the cliffs from the bases until it becomes "do-able" without a rope, just be careful of loose rock.
If you want the CLASSIC adirondack scramble, you should check out the Trap Dyke as i12climbup mentioned.

I concur with Jim W. Everyone into scrambling should give a try to the infamous Mahoosuc Notch. Combining the Notch with the steep, rough climb up Mahoosuc Arm should get the heart pumping. Mahoosuc Arm is very nice at the top, with lots of alpine flowers and an excellent outlook. There is also a mini-notch (Mahoosuc Notch 2). It is part way up Mahoosuc Arm, a bit off the trail, but I have never given it a try.

Do yourself a favor...

Pick up a copy of Don Mellor's "Climbing in the Adirondacks". It is the comprehensive guide to rock, ice, and slide routes.

:D

Not sooo different......... but cool

Not real sure what your looking for, but I'll throw this out. Catamount (in Wilmington). It is hiking, but one of the few real "Alpine-style" hikes in the AKDs.

Catamount is a small(ish) mountain whos entire upper mountain has been ravaged by fires (several) leaving a sparsly vegitated hunk of anorthosite. Climbers will scoff at it, but for hikers looking for something different, it's fun. Makes you feel like a kid in a playground.

It's a short, typical woods walk to a rock chimney that leads to the upper cone. From there there is tons of "three-point" scrambling over bare rock to the summit. It was one of my kids favorite hikes of all time for that reason. Going, via the trail, is fun, but not all that challenging. Once above the chimney though, I suggest going wild and having a ball (to hell with the trail), you'll find plenty of what you're looking for. Just be careful though, this is one mountain you can fall off of.

More info - HERE -

Last edited:
Mahoosuc Notch

i just looked at some pics of that - it looks awesome. it's just what i am looking for. now where the heck is it in maine? how far is it from albany?
also, catamont looks fun too & i'm sure i haven't done that one yet.
thanx

Mahoosuc Notch.
I don't have my maps here (at work).
But, it's east of Berlin NH, north of Rte 2 in Maine, west of Grafton Notch (Rte 27) in Maine, and south of Success Pond Road in Maine.
You should pick up the AMC Maine Guide or the AMC White Mountain Guide.
Have fun.

King's Ravine in the Presidential Range.

Also, there is a huge talus field off Giant on the north side of NYS Route 73, across from Chappel Pond. I can't attest for it's stability though... from the road, it looks like pretty loose stuff.

Rico - those are the talus fields under the Spider's Web discussed above. It's pretty loose.

peace
Oysterhead

Jim W is correct on location. Both the AMC White Mountain and Maine Mountain Guides appear to have accurate directions to Success Pond Road, plus give good trail maps. Closely follow them, including watching for the OHRV sign. It should also be noted that Success Pond is a dirt road. There are many ways to do the Notch, depending on your hiking objectives. Feel free to e-mail me if you want to explore options.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the large talus field at the base of Cannon Cliff in Franconia Notch. It's a great place for scrambling and boulder hopping as well as for watching the rock climbers.

JohnL

scramble

Hiking around to the base of Wallface via Indian Pass may give you what you're looking for. It's about a four mile hike from the south before you get into the scamble stuff. You do need to leave the main trail before you ascend to Lookout Rock to get into the big boulders.