galehead 12/29/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bryan

Reaction score
date: 12/29/08

trails: gale river, bushwack, garfield ridge, frost

conditions: the prior post by creaky knees says it all about the lower section of gale river trail. crossings still to high to not wade and found exposed rocks to be icy regardless. followed their bushwack to what i believe was their camping spot then dropped down steeply (on a fair amount of bare ground) to relatively easy crossing of tributary back into deeper snow angling up towards second crossing of gale river (also still high and icy). trail above crossing was unbroken, soft, and progressively deeper on approach to ridge. sinking 8-12" on most steps in steeper sections and frequently knee high. some hard spots i could travel on top of. garfield ridge the same with a nice surprise on frost trail where it was solid enough (due to cooler temps i think) to stay on top much of the time.

equipment: usual winter and definitley snowshoes.

comments: thanks to creaky knees and great pumpkin for having broken out much of that bushwack. plan was for south twin as well, but given conditions i was happy getting back out through the bushwack before it got dark. some nice views from hut south through valley to southern summits and owls head though the twins were mostly socked in and the sun never made it through.
the approach from beaver brook was quick (about a half hour) and clearly marked. the privy was a bonus. nice to be out.

bryan

[email protected]