Mccomb / slide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
has anyone done the macomb slide lately? i've got conflicting reports about the slide; one says it's fun & easy ; the other says it's very steep & the rocks get covered with wet slime. we've had quite a bit of rain so i'm curious about the conditions since i'm thinking of going there tomorrow.

We did it early in May. It was awesome. I don't remember the rocks being all that slippery. We hiked it with full packs. (We were going to go over to Carson, Grace, Hough in 2 days before we encountered waist deep snow). It was a bunch of mostly tallus from what I remember. I have some pictures, but I have yet to scan them in. There is someone on this site with some really good pics though.

-percious

(Not a Stupid) Question . . .

percious said:
. . . (We were going to go over to Carson, Grace, Hough . . .
My map does not show a Carson or Grace peak in the Dix Range. Which is which?

G.

Very fun slide. I would say it's of average steepness relative to other slides. A little unusual compared to many other ADK slides as it has LOTS of scree and grubble (my term for gravel and rubble together) as opposed to a clean rock face. [Or, as Percious correctly called it: tallus.] Not hard to navigate, though. It was slightly wet at the bottom one time when I climbed it and it presented no problems. Great views of Elk lake from the slide also.

What's in a Name?

mavs00 said:
P.S. Grumpy.... Carson is how S. Dix is now referred to in some circles (includung mine) and Grace is what was formerlly (and still officially) known as E. Dix
Well enough. I already knew that.

The point I hoped to make above is that if these new names are to be adopted they must fall into common usage. In order for that to happen there must be some common (near universal) understanding as to which peaks in the range they belong.

So for the time being I advocate using both the proposed new names with a paranthetical mention of the old, official name, for clarity. Awkward. But it's the way to educate and thus make sure the proposed new names gain real geographical meaning and significance so they eventually can be adopted for official usage (on maps and the like).

G.

Good point Grumpy...

There are plenty of folks out there who have no idea what Carson and Grace are. Both old and new names should be used until the maps change, or else people won't know what you're talking about.

I, for one, can never remember which one is E. Dix and which one is S. Dix.

As I was pondering this, I came up with a way to remember which is which:

Grace has an "E" in it, so it is E. Dix.

Carson has an "S" in it so it is S. Dix.

I just use the new names because I want to put forth the idea that the old names are dead. I refuse to call them by east and south dix because if we ever have a chance of having the names changed, we better make those old names die. I plan on naming my first daughter Grace, I only hope she has a mountain to go with her name, as my son Colden does.

-percious

I've been up Macomb twice, and both times it was bone dry. Others have described it accurately. We found it not to be too difficult, but you do have to watch your footing. Probably best to make sure no one is hiking immediately ahead of you or behind you. Nice rock near top for lunch and views.

thankx guys!

thanks! this is exactly why i love this site! now i can head out in comfort and excited about the trip!
i'll let you know how it was

I did the slide last weekend. It is a very dry, loose slide. Even the slab portions are dry, even when wet... if you know what I mean. There are plenty of false trails in the beginning with no one distinct path having been forged yet. Just start after the tributary with the shaky looking bridge. You will cross a small camping area and there are several paths. If you get on a dead-end, just head toward sound of water, for the herd path is nearby. At the top of the slide, keep left and you will exit to a well worn herdpath that brings you to the summit. If you go in shorts, wear high gaitors. The lower scrub is dead and hungry, and my low gaitors didn't quite cut it. As you near the summit of Carson (formerly known as South Grumpy Peak) :) there will be a faint path toward Pough which is an older path, or the more worn path (marked by a large triangular stone) near the unmarked summit of Carson (formerly known as South Grumpy Peak).

Even on a beautiful sunday I was alone the whole day, with Macomb, Carson, and Dix summits to myself. The herd path from Carson to the Beckhorn is quite the spectacular ridge walk. Just bring plenty of water, or a filter for it can get very hot along that route.

to donmcpeak

i've never done a slide before esp one like this w/ more loose rock. will hiking boots (higher ankle ones) be in the way -- should i bring some scrambling / trail shoes?
i'm also trying to convince my partner the boots he wants to wear will be too stiff - they have a 3/4 shank in them & i think he wont' have the flexibility he'll need scrambling. what's your take on footwear for this type of a climb? i'm may wear my boots & toss shoes on my pack

percious said:
I just use the new names because I want to put forth the idea that the old names are dead. I refuse to call them by east and south dix because if we ever have a chance of having the names changed, we better make those old names die. I plan on naming my first daughter Grace, I only hope she has a mountain to go with her name, as my son Colden does.
I suspect we both may want the same thing, insofar as the name change is concerned.

But consider this. If you or I insist on using the new names, Grace and Carson, without acknowledging the names they replace, those who aren't "in the know" won't have a clue regarding what we're referring to and will have no reason to adopt the new nomenclature. In other words, if the other guy doesn't know what we're talking about we're just talking to ourselves. That keeps the conversation pretty limited as to use of the preferred names, and in the end works against the effort to have those new names adopted.

This isn't rocket science. Just common sense (and common courtesy).

G.

Shadowcat, I hiked in low-risers or mid-risers (a step above trail runners) and was fine. In Yosemite I hiked similar slopes with my full backpacking boots on and felt more comfortable. I wouldn't change into anything less than the low or mids, and definitely wouldn't lug them along. The slide is 75/25 skree to slab and I would rather have more protection for the ankles, since you will be slipping and wading through stones sometimes ankle deep. Just my thoughts, if you carry them along at worst you'll get a little extra workout...

As for the name game. I hear you, Grump. To use the parentheticals does re-inforce the old and new names and provide context.

However, I rarely preface my use of Carson or Grace, and have found it not to be alienating or discourteous. Usually it is provacative and elicits puzzled looks, questions about "what mountain" and then (after hooking them and giving them the pitch as to why there is an effort to remane them) a much greater understanding of the issue, those two mountains, and more importantly the stories behind the people they should be re-named for. People are curious by nature and usually jump on a name or phrase that they haven't heard before.

I think with some people prefacing the names and others just using them by themselves will all work toward the same goal.

After all, you did ask what mountains? And received the answer. You then could have said what? why? when? And you would have received that answer as well, I'm sure.

In the end, we'll all be able to see how the process progresses... and then can critique it some more. :)

shoes?

wow i'm really glad i asked i never thought about the fact you can sink in that skree = i do remember reading that now tho. see, if i hadn't been able to ask you guys via this web site i might have had some pretty trashed ankles tomorrow.
have a good one!

Excellent!

crazymama said:
I, for one, can never remember which one is E. Dix and which one is S. Dix.

As I was pondering this, I came up with a way to remember which is which:

Grace has an "E" in it, so it is E. Dix.

Carson has an "S" in it so it is S. Dix.
Great, useful observation. Thanks for sending it on to us.

G.

I hiked up the Macomb slide the same weekend as "percious". The slide is steep, but able to be walked up with just normal hiking skills. It really isn't a hard thing to do. Most of the slide consists of loose rocks, and the only difficulty lies in the fact that these rocks move when you step onto them. The smooth part of the slide, on your right as you ascend, is steeper, and may be slippery. Avoid the smooth wet rock face, and basicly keep toward the left. Use your own good judgement here, and you'll be fine. If there is any chance that you might have to come back down that slide in the dark, be VERY careful, and make a mental note of your route, just in case. I say this from personal experience. Contact me after your hike, and I'll send you a copy of my Hough trip report from April 24. Have fun! -ALG

macomb - the day after

did it! but it sure is confusing back in there. read the log book in the lean to & apparently many folks have headed out to find it only to be defeated. at first, we mistakenly thought "alpinesummit's" directions referred to the stream right next to the lean-to. there were many paths leading in the right direction from there so we started on them. it didn't take us long to realize we had made a mistake. what a maze! we walked back to the 1st bridge where you can either go left (there's a red trail marker that's the path to the lean-to) or right/straight (there's a smaller cairn). we went up the cairn path which took us to a nice campground spot. in the far right hand corner was another cairn. we followed that and found trails going along the stream. every now and then we lost it, due to debris but quickly got back on track. like "alpinsummit" said "keep the stream always on your right" - keeping that in mind, when we did lose the trail in a few spots we got back on. there must be a few ways to get back to the slide because we heard & then saw some folks up higher than us on another trail, they never did meet up with us so i don't know what trail they followed. we finally did make it to the slide -- thank god. the slide wasn't that difficult, just had to watch loose rocks or gravel you could slip on. i'm glad i did wear boots- although i didn't sink, i appreciated the extra support. oh and either long pants or shorts & gators cuz your legs can get pretty scratched up. plan on husling your butt over a lot of fallen trees along the way too! this hike reminds me of those times i hear my coworkers talking about all the diets they are on & how do i stay to "skinny" - i tell them to try hiking - if they just got out and did a hike once in awhile they wouldn't have to worry about their weight, especially ones like the hike to the slide! forget buns of steel - this hike will tighten 'em right up! :D i'm tired and sore today tho & would rather been home relaxing but here i am at work! thanks for all the info.