Liberty from the basin parking Lot 12/30

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverfox

Reaction score
After meeting at the Ashland BK at the very civilized meet time of 7:30 we split into 2 cars and headed up 93 to the Basin parking lot. Rebecca had considered doing the Carters for this day but remembered we had them "scheduled" for next week so happily came up with this alternate plan..

There was a fresh 2 inches of fluff as we geared up..that fluff hides some glare ice in the parking lot..microspikes acceptable for this part of the day:)

We used a variety of footware today..I started out with the MSR's..well..mainly cause I hate carrying them..the ladies barebooted..Claude had microspikes on..the bike path was well packed under the fluff and quickly we came to the Basin bushwack which looked all postholy and gnarley so we opted for the regular trail and figured we take the other route on descent.. I stayed with the snow shoes up to the Flume Slide cutoff..the trail was quite hard packed and narrow..hard to keep the snowshoes straight.. with some ice and some running water and i switched to the mini crampons there which were easier on the wet spots..Somewhat of a monorail forming with hardpacked trail which was easy to navigate with light traction with postholes off to the sides in spots..We arrived at the tentsite without mishap..wind really blowing and steady snow in the air though hard to tell if it was snowing or not.. At this point one person put on snowshoes and the other barebooters put on G-10s which proved wise as once we started out again we hit some pretty good windblown spots with some icy places..

Once we hit the ridge we re checked gear and started out..some pretty good drifts up here though the "trail" badly postholed and narrow..Hard to say what the right foot gear was here..the surface hard enough that you barely sank except in the frequent knee deep drifts..once we emerged on top crampons became the gear of choice as there were some pretty icy spots for sure..beautiful as the steady breeze blew snow uphill at this point..For the final scramble you are somewhat sheltered from the wind and we enjoyed a round of congrats and headed back into the woods..After the experience climbing I opted for MSRs for descent to the tent platforms..couldn't really be on the packed trail due to its narrowness and postholes but this worked fine keeping mostly to the side of the trail though I was thrown off into the woods at one point when i landed at a wierd angle..

Our descent was uneventful though we enjoyed by now some bluebird skies and diminshing winds..looking back at the summit a few time you could see that we had missed the views by only a little..

along the way we saw a solo guy and a group of three women all out enjoying the day..there were tracks over to Flume as well..(down below)

packed out the Basin Bushwack on descent..logs bridges a bit icy as were rocks on the upper brook crossings on Liberty Spring Trail which were all open..made it unscathed though, as sweep I got a few oohs and ahhs after a brief slip and near splash on the larger crossing.....just keep that forward momentum going.....:cool:

great day in the Whites..first winter 4K for Silent Sam..(Claude) and Sleeveless(Sandy)

pics of some sort to follow

a few [photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverfox777/sets/72157611870429812/

Last edited:
Nice report! I was one of the two soloists who took the Flume Slide Trail. The other guy turned around near the top, but I made it over Flume and Liberty and agree with you on the goofy trail conditions. I snowshoed from the Flume Slide/Osseo junction all the way back to the car, but it was dicey and icy around Liberty's summit (worse on the Flume side, actually). I took advantage of the shortcut/bushwack that you tracked out, too. :)

You did just miss the views. I summitted Flume around 2pm, and Liberty around 3pm and had pretty clear views, except to the northeast.

Did anyone in your group break a hiking pole?

Nice hike and hope that "wierd angle" fall didn't do any lasting damage!

Interesting conditions -- looking forward to hiking with you and MJ this weekend and breaking in my new Grivels....:D..sounds like the conditions will warrant them.

broken pole

Hey Black n Blue

sorry to have missed you

we saw that pole...or at least the bottem part

not one of ours however..

glad you enjoyed the view

Our descent was uneventful though we enjoyed by now some bluebird skies and diminshing winds..looking back at the summit a few time you could see that we had missed the views by only a little.

Yes, isn’t that amazing how frequently it happens that the summit begins to clear as one descends?!
It must be some sort of a law of nature akin to Newton’s Universal Law of Gravity!:D

Nice TR.

Last edited:
Another Liberty Springs question

Oops.........

Last edited:
Liberty

Nice report, liked all the details. Enough challenges to satisfy you I think! Still not a convert to winter hiking!

Grumpygran

Yes, isn’t that amazing how frequently it happens that the summit begins to clear as one descends?!
It must be some sort of a law of nature akin to Newton’s Universal Law of Gravity!:D

Nice TR.

I've noticed this phenomena many times. There's influences of regional weather systems and influences of local weather. We watch the weather religiously. Forcast is for high pressure and clear skies. We cancel all other plans, drop everything and head north. We prudently get an early start and make it to ridge early in the day only to be dissapointed by summit ridges socked in by clouds. Then by time we get down low the summit ridge clears and we're treated to brilliant views of the summit from down below.

I think reasons for this are that in spite of the regional high pressure air mass the taller summit ridges still collect moisture and clouds under local influence and by end of the day the moisture dissapates and is absorbed into the the dry air mass ... poof the summit ridge has cleared.

Bottom line of all this? Early starts are not all they're not cracked up to be.