North & South Crocker via AT From CVR 1-1-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 1/1/09

Trail Conditions: Carrabassett Valley received no snow from the New Years Eve storm. Caribou Valley Road is now icy in spots from the recent rain. The AT up to the Crockers is in excellent shape. Frodo and Company pack a mean trail! Wide, flat, and rock hard. Hats off to them. My snowshoes didn’t leave my pack all day. What a pleasant surprise :)

Special Equipment Required: I used Microspikes on the CVR to conserve energy and ensure I didn’t take a spill before ever reaching the trail. Once I got to the AT crossing and saw the conditions, I decided to use Microspikes for the rest of the day. There is one steep section, about 1.5 miles in, where I would have preferred crampons. I was able to toe kick my way up the slope but crampons would have been much easier and safer.

Comments: I originally wanted to take the AT in from Rt 27 to avoid the 4.5 mile road walk on the CVR. I found that the parking area has not been plowed this winter and while there was sign of some activity at that trailhead, there was no guaranty that the trail was broken to the summit. As it turns out, it wasn’t. It looks like the CVR is the way to go for now.

The Caribou Valley Road is one mile north of the Sugarloaf access road. Even though maps identify the road as Caribou VALLEY Road, the sign at the end of the road reads Caribou POND road. Either way, you’re at the right place. The AT crossing can be easy to miss if you aren't careful. Just before you get there, you’ll come to the small summer parking area on the right side of the road. Fifty yards beyond the parking area is the crossing. If you didn’t know it was there, you would walk right by. A couple of trees have pink surveyor’s ribbon and if you look carefully, you will see it.

Your name: Carl