Crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewseeker

Reaction score
Ok need leeson on to what or which ones I would need to buy, I like good stuff but dont need top of the line..Will pay for what i get, I dont want trouble...thanks....any used sites to buy from??

Rob

Last edited:
This thread has some good good info from others.

I'm keeping an eye on Ebay but for some reason, crampons seem to be very popular this time of year!

Better safe . . .

Even if you end up buying new crampons -- and that's what I recommend -- you're better off getting them from a dealer that'll stand behind the products it sells. Even new gear can malfunction due to factory defect, etc. Better to have a receipt and a warranty when you're laying out that kind of dough.

I have these, that I bought from EMS. Unfortunately, you just missed all their good Christmas sales where you probablly could have bought them for close to half price. Don't know how soon you want them, but they do have good sales, keep an eye out.
I've owned them for a few years now, using them a handful of times and they have performed great with no problems! One year I hiked the Lower Great Range with them and wore them the entire day as it was all ice and no snow.

whats the thoughts on these, look ice age old or are they better?

I suggest you re-read Doug Paul's first post re: used crampons. Would you buy a used parachute? A used safety rope? Used scuba air regulators?

FWIW - that style is used for rigid boots, like plastics.

I just used my new Grivel g10's for the first time. I like them a lot better than the Black Diamond Contact Strap. The main difference for me is the way the grivel's attach- they snap onto the back of your boots with a binding called the "Cramp-O-matic" - they feel way more secure. I wore them with Merrell Thermo 8 boots, which are lightweight, yet crampon compatible.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I'd have to know the history of the crampons real well before I considered used.

I'm happy with the Grivels I've had 10 years. Used a few times a year when needed, always love having them.

Last edited:
Would you buy a used parachute? A used safety rope? Used scuba air regulators?

I agree with most everything Kevin ever says...but...crampons are not parachutes or air regulators. Depending on your needs, a used pair off ebay will probably do just fine. I've a DULL pair of Grivel Air Tech Lights (aluminum) with a couple broken points that are just fine for 95% of what the northeast has to offer. I also have a pair of G12's that I climb with. Crampons are a bit like snowshoes: safer to buy new and fitted from a dealer with a return policy, but available cheap, used - that will often more than suffice.

Edit: I buy and sell hiking and climbing gear on ebay all the time. If you're careful and read the description well you can usually get better gear than "a friend" would sell you. Occasionally you buy something in poorer condition than you anticipated (but not often) and then re-list and sell it, or use it as back-up or loners.

Last edited:
Yup, my BD Contact Straps were a used rental pair from EMS. Served me well and are out back in circulation again. Certainly for a first pair, you can find a good used pair until you can afford to upgrade or until you've convinced yourself you will continue to peakbag in Winter. :)
My choice would be to go with a reputable climbing shop for used, so you have somewhere to go back to if you have problems.

Just my 0.02

whats the thoughts on these, look ice age old or are they better?

Crampons with frames like that ball up and collect snow like nobody's business. After a while, they'll be so heavy and impossible to clear, you might as well not have them on.

Grivel G10s, G12s, G14s, and the airlights are great crampons. My only hesitation with them would be that Grivel is ceasing distributions throughout North America. You could probably still get the models, but next year, if you need replacement parts, you might be very hard pressed to find them. That being said, I would never shy away from Grivels.

I wouldn't really get aluminum frame crampons. They're nice and light, but at 200+ pounds with a pack, I wouldn't trust them to hold up long.

I have Black Diamon Sabretooth Pros. They retail at $160, but I'm sure you could find them cheaper. They hold up for years and to some serious abuse. I would recommend them. http://www.bdel.com/gear/sabretooth_step-in.php

I have to second the idea of getting second hand crampons. I wouldn't really trust any gear from an unknown source. I'm also OCD about my gear, so I'm sure some people have had good experiences with second hand gear.

To get back at the original question, unless you're doing some serious vertical climbing, horizontal front points will do great. A lot of horizontal fronts do great for ice climbing as well. I've used mine for it with little issue. Also, I'd go for a 12 point crampon over a 10.

Some of those you have listed are "automatic" crampons or step in. Meaning, you will need boots with either toe or heel welts so that the crampons can clip into those welts on the boots. Assuming you have just regular hiking boots you will need strap on crampons, like the BD Contact strap on ones UD mentions or the Camp ones I linked to earlier. Strap-on will work with most any boots....some even use with trail runners. Automatic/clip crampons should be used with boots with welts and semi automatic usually need to be used with boots with either toe or heel welts.

For a reputable used dealer, I would suggest IMCS in north conway. The guys there are really knowledgable and can help point you in the right direction.

Some of those you have listed are "automatic" crampons or step in. Meaning, you will need boots with either toe or heel welts so that the crampons can clip into those welts on the boots. Assuming you have just regular hiking boots you will need strap on crampons, like the BD Contact strap on ones UD mentions or the Camp ones I linked to earlier. Strap-on will work with most any boots....some even use with trail runners. Automatic/clip crampons should be used with boots with welts and semi automatic usually need to be used with boots with either toe or heel welts.

Good information..I have just regular boots so I guess im looking for strap on ones....thanks everyone for there 0.02