MSR Denali Evo Strap Keeps Breaking!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have observed the "testing" aspect of MSR snowshoes in the past. My somewhat yearly observations of the rental shoes for sale at Ragged Mtn, have revealed several durability issues, that inevitably get fixed in the next production year.

Isnt it nice to be on the cutting edge?

With that in mind I nominate Unfrozen Caveman as an official product tester. He seems to break every pair he owns ;)(per a conversation on top of North Kinsman this weekend). Of course jumping out of trees is admittedly pushing the intent of the design. :)

I don't know how handy you guys are but from the pics I'd replace those straps with webbing... also use cam buckles.

BTW the size of the boots should have nothing to do with breaking straps. It's a poor design, sharp metal edges with cheap plastic straps. Something has to give.

Thanks everyone for your awesome suggestions. As usual I'm am amazed at the depth of knowledge exhibited on this forum. I am going to try a combination of cutting the strap shorter and filing down the metal edge. I'll report back to everyone how it works after our Colvin, Nippletop, Dial trip this weekend. Thanks again!

:)

Both my forward straps are broken in the same way. It is caused by the strap hitting the shoe when they pivot beyond a certain point. Hold the binding in your hand and pivot the shoe to the max and you'll see that the shoe can hit the forward strap and cause it to rip right where it comes out of the buckle. I don't find this a problem. After it breaks off I just leave that forward strap where it is and it never hits the shoe again and it has never fallen off. If you are worried the starp is too short and might fall out of the buckle you could cut the strap just a little longer such that it still sticks out of the buckle a little but doen't reach the shoe when pivoting.

I just took a closer look at the pics and see that yours are ripping right at the hole. Cut the strap between two holes and then use the last hole and test it to make sure the strap doesn't hit the shoe during extreme pivotting. Mine didn't break at the hole, I had a little meat left over. I was very concerned when this first happened but then I figured out what was happening and did some testing and now they have been like that for almost two full seasons without any problems.

This (the part in bold above) is exactly what I've done to both mine Evo Ascents. I know others that have done the same thing. Fixes the problem forever.

New straps will just keep breaking, if you leave them overhanging.

Jason

Just so everyone knows, I did what Oldmanwinter suggested in his second post, and ferrisjrf reiterated. The strap WAS hitting the binding on the front, causing it to break (this happened because of my large pac boots). I cut the strap off down to one hole, and left it like that. Fixed the problem perfectly, just like they said! No signs of wear after a 14 1/2 mile trip on Saturday. Thanks again so much for all your input, I really appreciate it!

Now if MSR hears about this, they will make the new straps shorter and with the money they save on material throw a REALLY GOOD Christmas party next year.