Dix Range - An "Epic" Success

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adktyler

Reaction score
Saturday

Well, my dad and I left from Schenectady at 4am and met up with our other hiking partner (Charlie) at 4:30 at exit 12. By 6am we were at the parking lot at Clear Pond. While preparing our gear we met another nice group who was hiking into climb Hough. By 6:30 we were off in the dark, and moderate temperatures, and with one accursed addition to our usual backpacking hikes: a sled.
The use of a sled on the way in came after careful research and asking a trusted friend if it was doable. This ended up being one of the worst decisions of my entire, 10-year long, winter hiking/camping career. The 4 ½ mile hike to the Lillian Book leanto goes on the list of my top 3 most miserable approaches. Even after following the advice in various books as to how to prepare a pulk, where to load the weight, and all…it was still an absolute nightmare. Even after taking some of the weight out, and re-adjusting it, at the Slide Brook leanto, the final mile or so to Lillian Brook must be one of the worst miles of my life. Not only did it kill my hips, but the sled tipped over about 1.38 million times and had to be carried over every little bump and stream bed that we came across (these seemed to blossom excessively around every turn and bend). Needless to say, this goes on the list (getting rather full at this point) of Tyler’s stupid ideas…one which I plan on NEVER trying again!

Anyway…. After ditching our camping gear at the LB leanto, we headed up Dix. It was now early afternoon (as it had taken us quite a long time to get in), but we still had plenty of daylight left. Two nice gentlemen had gone in about 2 hours before us, and had broken the trail. Charlie was a real trooper, owing to the fact that this was his first official winter 46 peak and first official winter camping trip. We made it up to the final ascent towards the Beckhorn in by mid-afternoon, and caught up with the two guys before us. At the Beckhorn, the wind became quite strong, though the sky was completely clear by this point, so that made the wind worth it. We switched to balaclavas and goggles, and headed up the final push of Dix. After the Beckhorn the snow became quite deep, but the trail was clear all the way to the summit.

The apex of Dix was gorgeous! We were rewarded with beautiful views of the Great Range, and all the other peaks in the 360 radius of the summit. Though it was windy, the temperature was still fairly moderate. Off in the distance mist lingered over the far off peaks, and the sun cut through a few clouds to provide illumination of the entire landscape. It was a great feeling to be standing on top of our 28th High Peak. We took pictures and videos, and headed down. Shortly after the Beckhorn we donned our Swiss Bob sleds, and sledded most of the way back to the trail split to Hunter Pass. On the way, we were blessed to see a lovely, red-orange sunset cutting through the trees.

The night in the leanto was great! We made dinner, and bundled up for some good sleep. The thermometer dipped to -10, but we all stayed quite warm. The next morning my dad and I awoke at 3:30am to begin our ascent of the other 4. Charlie was feeling tired, so he decided to sleep in, and then hike out, that day (he had Cascade and Porter and some ice climbing lined up for the next few days, so he also wanted a head start on those).

Sunday

By 5:00am we were headed up the Lillian Brook towards Hough. An uneventful climb (though a little frustrating near the top – thick and steep!) The trail was well broken from the groups that had gone up the day before (at least 8 people). Right above the col between Hough and Pough we watched the sun rise in its flaming glory. By 7:30 we were on the top of Hough, with crystal clear skies and only a little bit of wind. We only stayed long enough to enjoy the glorious view, and then pressed on for South Dix (hereafter referred to as Carson).

Between Pough and Carson we lost the trail several times. Even though it had been broken two days before, it was still completely gone from wind and fresh snow at some points. By 9:30, though, we were on the zenith of Carson. It had warmed up considerably by this point, and the sun beat down providing a great moral booster. Soon we were off for East Dix (hereafter referred to as Grace).

After an uneventful climb, minus the continued challenge of staying on the trail, we made it to the top of Grace by 11. No wind at all, and a still-stunning view provided us with much joy. Then, it was back up Carson for the second time. Right below the summit we stopped at the rocky overlook of the valley. It was SO warm and sunny, that we spent the next 45 minutes resting and eating and just enjoying the oh-so-rare day that we were given. The temperature rose to 40 degrees in the sun! After that much needed rest bit we pressed on for Macomb.

The trail from Carson to Macomb was VERY thankfully broken by two groups. We were quite tired at this point, so this was an incredible blessing. By 2pm we were standing on the peak of Macomb, making it our 32 winter high peak! We spent 10 minutes admiring the views, taking pictures and videos, and rejoicing at the accomplishment. Thanks to all who broke trail, it probably would not have been possible with out your help! After a final soaking-in of the Great Range and everything else, we began our descent.

The slide was TOUGH! I had VERY stupidly (second dumb thing for this trip) left my crampons and ice axe in the leanto, so I had a slippery and honestly scary descent of the slide. My dad was fine, on the other hand, because he was smart and brought his crampons and axe! But we both made it, eventually, right as the sun began to reflect its beautiful colors off the surrounding clouds.

By 4:30pm our quite long day was complete, making it an 11 ½ hour trip from start to finish! I was so pleased to meet many other delightful people on the trail, including some active on here and other forums. I was also pleased to have made it up all 5 of the Dix Range in one trip!

Monday

The night was spent very comfortably (it didn’t drop below 0 at all), and by 10:30 the next morning we were on our way out (it was very nice to sleep in). And may I say that the sled was now attached to the pack, NOT being dragged out! The final blessing of the trip came when two rabbit hunters gave us a ride from the trail head down the last 2 miles of the trail to our car at the gate! What a nice surprise!

So that concludes the trip report. Thanks for reading that long description, and I hope you enjoyed it.

Videos to come!

-Tyler

Edit: Re-post because of title typo.

Last edited:
Great report, Tyler!

Nice job, Tyler. Great report of what sounds like an awesome excursion! I'm surprised the pulk made the trip out with you, though. Expected to read about a pulk burning ritual at the lean-to. :D

Congrats!! My TR will follow in a day or 2. We hiked Sunday and Monday, so were able to take full advantage of everyone's trails - THANK YOU! As of Monday afternoon, the trails from Hough to Carson to Grace were still visible and obvious. A little sleet and freezing rain fell Sunday night, but it did not affect the snow condition, which was excellent. Only a few snowflakes came down Monday, but the wind may smooth out the troughs. We noticed a diverging path, maybe a mile up the Lillian Brook herd path from the main trail - perhaps the track leads to the Carson-Macomb col, but that's merely a guess. WHAT A PERFECT WEEKEND! :D

Thanks, guys, for your uplifting responses, make me happy :)

If anyone else is interested, stay tuned to my Youtube account (link in my signature) for videos. I'm not going to post links individually, because by the time I get around to them all in the next week, it will be old news. Thanks again for reading this TR.

Nice TR Tyler. Your shot of Sun Through Trees is excellent. The colors presented at sunset during Fall and Winter will always be my favorite. How can something so cold look so warm and inviting?
Well done!

By the way, as we descended Lillian Brook Monday, we found a water bottle in a sock. If it's yours and you'd like it back, identify and I'll mail it. :cool:

By the way, as we descended Lillian Brook Monday, we found a water bottle in a sock. If it's yours and you'd like it back, identify and I'll mail it. :cool:

I may be mistaken (my brain froze on that hike), but I believe MarkL lost such a water bottle on 12/30.