Kilkenny Area Logging Controversy

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
The debate centers on whether logging is allowed in "roadless areas," specifically, 313 acres in the Kilkenny Inventoried Roadless Area (2005). This would be part of the larger (1000 acre) Mill Brook logging proposal. Decision is expected Feb. 16, that is, the USFS decision. There may be further "decisions." Not to get into specific politics--let's not go there--but this project was launched under the current administration, I assume, which expires in a few days. I don't know if that will make a difference or whether it could affect decisions retroactively.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...HOL-?SITE=NHCON&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Here's some beta from the Wilderness Society on the legal background for Roadless Rule issues.

(I will forever smile when I recall the day the federal judge looked up at me and said, "Well, you have the wind in your sail. What does your client want to do?" This right after he saw the USFS internal memo that indicated they hadn't followed NEPA in issuing a logging permit. :D )

Last edited:
There was a story on NHPR this morning about this. The Sierra Club filed suit to stop it. I can't find a reference on nhpr.org - yet - it might appear later in the day, or you can probably catch it on your evening commute if you are a listener.

Tim

-but this project was launched under the current administration, I assume, which expires in a few days. I don't know if that will make a difference or whether it could affect decisions retroactively.

Environmentalists Wary of Obama’s Interior Pick - NYTimes.com

“It’s time for a new kind of leadership in Washington that’s committed to using our lands in a responsible way to benefit all our families,” Mr. Obama said. “That means ensuring that even as we are promoting development where it makes sense, we are also fulfilling our obligation to protect our national treasures.”

Change we can Believe in, if we can figure out where he stands on the issue. So lets continue to not turn this political... :D:D