The Year 2008 in Review - Post away!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2008 was a great year for me compared to years in the past.

To begin with, I climbed Phelps, Wright, Algonquin, Iroquois (and Boundary), Street, Nye, Tabletop, Seward, Donaldson, Emmons, and Seymour all in the winter. I also climbed Street, Nye, Grace, Tabletop, Phelps, and Big Slide in the non-winter months.

In June, I bought a Subaru Forester, giving me more Adirondack exploring freedom than ever before! Because of this I went on tons of trips, including an overnight at Lizard Lake, a 4 day backpacking trip in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness, at least 4 bushwhacks of remote streams, a three day camping/rock climbing trip to Crane Mountain, an overnight at Long Pond, an overnight exploring the East Side of the Lake George waters and mountains, a day trip of circumnavigation and exploration of Round Lake, a paddle up the Kunjamuk river and Elk Lake, and miles of back road exploration (and many more smaller trips). I wouldn’t say that these are list-checking, peak-bagging accomplishments, but I succeeded in my ultimate goal: explore as much of the Adirondacks as possible.

Can’t wait for the new experiences of 2009!

And congratulations to everyone else for their impressive accomplishments! Make the little I've done look like Major slacking!

Copied from elsewhere on the www.....

In comparing my 2007 & 2008, the mileage was just a couple of miles different. My attempt for another Presidential Traverse failed due to a windless sunny day & a start that was a bit late, oh well, will try again in 2009.

In the winter, I managed to get to Isolation in January & friends & I broke out the C-M trail some between South & Middle Carter. Expected weather kept me out of the Whites but to Monadnock. It had been a few winters since I was there. (I blew the car engine post Isolation!)

The past few Aprils I had tried to find less snow by hiking the Catskills but in 2008, I hit Willey & Field & found a lot of snow instead. (Back to the Catskills in April 2009!) May was supposed to be Northern Presidentials but weather made that seem silly so I hit a couple of new peaks, Giant Stairs, Resolution & Parker. (had been to Crawford Dome before so this was the 2nd time)

June ended up being a Madison & Adams trip. July found me in the ADK's for a few days of peakbagging, a radiator requiring replacement gave me another day. For July, I got to enjoy; Pitch-off, Colvin, Blake, Esther, Whiteface, Sawteeth, Pyramid, Gothics, Marshall, Street & Nye. All new except for Whiteface & Gothics but it had been over 10 years for both.

Decided to stay home in August & September due to gas prices & double up in October & November. Got to Carrigain & Isolation in October & then Tom & Moosilauke in November finishing up my 48 in Fall portion of the 48 X 4 seasons. (I'll have Spring done this year)

After Moosilauke, I decided I need another list, so I picked some of my favorites & decided I'll do these 12X, once each month. Got to Greylock early in December & a nagging knee sent me to the MD. Nothing torn & with a little less treadmill & Volleyball, things are settling down. Ended the year on Pierce, third winter trip there (none on a good view day) but first time in December, working on the new list.....

Plans for 2009? More ADK's a Presi & a Franconia Traverse, more time in the ADK, I have 11 left for the 46er's & the NE115, a few more winter Whites, I need 11 but some long ones remain, finish the Spring X 48. Looking for a family trip up CT's Bear Mt. & maybe a week in NC near Asheville, likely no peakbagging but will return to Mt. Mitchell.

2008 was a great year despite the knee surgery I had right after the fall Gathering at Barnes, when I got to meet some of you.
I managed to finally start on the Northern Prezies by knocking off Jefferson and Adams.
I rock climbed several times, and re-discovered the Blue Hills while in rehab for the knee!
I met HikerAmiga, who will hike with me next year as she rehabs her injury. (I'd say we are good for each other!)
In the coming year, I hope to meet and hike with more of you. I particularily like the hikes when a keg is carried up for the celebration;)
Sandy

Hiked up to 10,000 feet, highest I've been in the States. Went to the beach the next day.

Finished the NH48, after years of swearing I wasn't going to follow any damn list.

Got in a couple of long day hikes: Dry River & Davis Path; (most of a) Presi Traverse.

Did a few hikes carrying more than one lens. Could be a worrisome trend.

"Discovered" a couple more rock-climbing spots, often in very good company.

Spent a few days in the Alps.

Completed my first ice lead, which was also my first multi-pitch lead.

Saw a couple of my photos published.

Best Year Ever!

It's hard for me to believe, but a year ago I didn't know anything about VFTT. I discovered the site and joined Bob & Geri on my first VFTT hike last February (thank you!). Since then, it's been all good. I think I missed only 5 or 6 weekends the rest of the year, and managed to attend pretty much every social gathering. I hiked a lot of miles and bagged a lot of peaks. But more importantly I made a lot of great new friends and had an insane amount of fun.

Hiking highlights include: The 4th of July Presi Traverse, the super fun Lincoln Slide – Owls Head adventure, the moonlight Welch-Dickey walk, finishing my NH48 with a bunch of friends, my awesome backpacking trip in Alaska, BSP, mayhem in the Mahoosucs and, of course, anything involving Dr. Wu and/or a mini keg.

2008 gets two thumbs up (insert marchowes thumb photo here)!

Rebecca

Last edited:
I hiked more peaks in 2008 than I have in any other year - I was hoping to knock off a good chunk of the Northeast 115 list. I would have been happy with 30 remaining for 2009 but I managed to get the list down to 12.

I was hoping to finish my NH48 but Jefferson continued to elude me - oh well...it wasn't meant to happen in 2008.

I ended up with lots of new friends and hiking buddies via weekend gatherings. You guys are awesome and really made 2008 a year to remember!!!

I did a few hikes in the Catskills and the Adirondacks.

I joined 7summits, Una_Dogger, Juniper, Ferrisjrf and Fat Tuesday on their finishes.

In addition to hiking, I had to the opportunity to visit many European cities on the weekend while working on a project in London.

2008 was fantastic and I'm really looking forward to what 2009 will bring.

I read a bunch of good trip reports and viewed all the photographs....whew, what a workout....it was just like being there !

seriously ,

I met some of the White Mountains in 2008.
They cast a spell on me which I will not try to resist.

Definitely my best year yet.
In 2008:

* My mileage and elevation counts were almost double my previous "best year" (although in terms of other VFTT members my numbers are still quite modest).

* I lost the 20-30 lbs I gained/held onto over the last 4 years (and kept it off over the holidays!)

* Finally hiked Eisenhower (the last of the Presidential range for me)

^MtnMike^

I managed to finish my Winter 48 early in '08 and have been just really enjoying not following a list and just getting out there:

As others have said: I met more new hikers and friends than any other year and joined on some epic fun hikes with kegs/flags/great food/laughter!

Some of my favorites were the Presi traverse on 4th of July all dressed in red/white/blue and the Lincoln Slide bushwack to Owl's Head and the Mahoosuc adventure.:rolleyes:

There were so many fun hikes and evenings at Barnes Field hanging out by the fire and backpacking in the Great Gulf. The gatherings also at beer nights!!

I also met new rock climbers that I enjoyed climbing with and we had some fun climbs...especially fond memory of the 5 pitchers climbing day...:eek:

Barely Live was way fun and the best part of the whole year was just becoming a part of this group that love the outdoors!!

Ended the year with a blast!!:D

Busy bunch. :D

I don't do lists and this year there weren't any major "accomplishments" like a mega hike or backpack. But I'd have to say this year was probably more rewarding because it was our first with our daughter. We were thrilled that she loved the outdoors as much as we did and she did a lot of hiking with us, including Wittenberg in the Catskills, Algonquin in the ADKs, Lafayette in the Whites, Doubletop and OJI in Baxter, and hiking in WY, CO, and NC. She also did well camping and this summer we plan on trying out some easy backpacks.

Steve did do some big hikes, like another Presidential Traverse, the Pemi Loop, and the Escarpment trail in the Catskills. My goal is to eventually get back in to my previous hiking shape so I can do another Presi Traverse (or something similar).

Here's to many fun outdoor adventures for everybody in 2009. :D

2008 was another good year, managing to hike the PCT with Neighbor/postr'boy and avoid any major injuries.

We met and hiked with so many wonderful people including Nimblewill Nomad and Billygoat. We slept on the summit of Mt. Whitney witnessing one amazing sunset and sunrise. The Sierras were a highlight, as were parts of OR and all of WA. Camped on the rim of Crater Lake with trail friends and just soaked in all the beauty around us.

Walked past snow-capped peaks, forded icy cold rivers, smiled when we bumped into someone we haven't seen in weeks knowing that they have witnessed the same beauty of the trail as us and just enjoyed life to the fullest.

I wish every year could be like the past one!

80 New England 3K's- have now completed 65% of the total.

All 5 Hitchcocks in one day!

A week in Vermont climbing 22 peaks and dodging numerous T-Storms and killer mutant raspberries.

Barren and Scar Ridge on back to back Saturday's in October. (Barren was easier, Scar Ridge more pleasant overall):D

All in all a fun years work!

Jim

While 2008 was a great year in many respects recurring knee issues certainly kept me off the trails a bit....

that being said there were some good days..

Flags on the 48 on isolation where for me many VFTT ers came to life...

Watching Terra bounce up the South Slide on Sleepers traverse:)

Finishing NE67 on Hamlin with Grumpy Gram and Native Lady

Then in October getting Claude to Camel's Hump for his NE67 finish

Nothing like a good Bond's Traverse.. we had a clear beautiful day and arrived at Zealand within 5 minutes of our ride

Of course the Ossipee Southern traverse ranks up there as well

all in all 58 4k's, 18 first time winter 4k's in 2008

see you on the trails....

Another great year!! January thru March we did some great hikes, mainly in the Adirondacks.... Summer months, I planned to get out and do some hiking in VT, NH and NY, but the bicycling bug bit again and unfortunately the summer and early fall went by way too fast and not much hiking was done...

Some of my summer recreational time was spent helping out on some organized bicycle tours in NY and Maine/Quebec.

In addition, I managed to get in a week long bicycle tour in Tennessee, in the western side and foothills of the Appalachians, (ie NE corner of TN). This area is simply beautiful...... And ended up visiting the birth place for Davy Crockett to boot!....

Anyways, I was fighting knee problems early in the year, and thus my reason for helping out on the bike rides mentioned above (typically I would be riding them!) Then in October I fell on my back and fractured my ribs... and I am still dealing with the problems from this, but I am currently getting out hiking, to the point that I finished my Catskill 35W in December 08!!! Ok... Ok... I only had one left and its been hanging on for 4+ years.....

So, let's see 2007 - I had neck Problems
2008 - knee & back probs

But I still look back at 2008 with great memories and am looking forward to 2009, and yes, the plan is to do some summer/3 season hiking..... already got my bug dope ready:)

Best regards to all
hikehike

1. Finished my NH 48 on Carrigain - 10/19/2008
2. Joined VFTT shortly thereafter... and met (still meeting :)) so many fantastic, likeminded people with whom to share my hiking adventures.

...couldn't ask for more. :D

-made my first (and second) trip to the adirondacks
-became a trail adopter
-moved closer to the white mountains
-discovered the ossipees, the blue hill range and other great places closer to home that i drove past all these years
-enjoyed lots of great days in the woods

bryan