The Year 2008 in Review - Post away!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Ok, what did you accomplish in 2008?

It can be anything, a list, a special trip, getting in shape, overcoming adversity, let us know!

For starters, Laurie and I completed the Catskill Hundred Highest.

We also did several Fire towers, a good handful of NH 4Ks, and a lot of Catskill and ADK peaks, some big, some not so big. And an awesome trip to Colorado!

All together about 70 peaks or so climbed, some new ones, and some old friends! :)

Worst year ever:(.
I did 1 adk high peak, 1 catskill high peak.
My week vacation it rained everyday and I went home a day early.
My only adk high peak I was within 15 minutes of the summit and it was sunny. I could see the summit as I approched it disappear into the clouds:mad:
The only catskill high peak I did, I stayed about 10 minutes because the bugs were eating alive!
I finally got around to doing the tounge mtn range and my dog got sick and I had to stay home.

2008 Recap:

Personal opinion: 2008 was not a bad year. It would be great if 2009 is more of the same.

Two trips through the White Mountain Four Thousand Footer list – should have been three (oh well). The overall goal was one hike per week and I came up two hikes short (oh well).

All hikes were in the Whites.

All Hikes:

Total Hikes – Peaks: 50 Hikes - 148 Peaks

Distance – Elevation: 607 Miles - 199155 Feet

Hikes with Trail Trotter:

Total Hikes – Peaks: 25 Hikes – 102 Peaks

Distance – Elevation: 357 Miles – 119215 Feet

Thanks Sue. We had a terrific year in the mountains. Let’s go again! :D

Are you sure about that? :D

Actually, if you're anything like me, you probably are! :eek:

The distance and elevation details are straight from the printed version of the White Mountain Guide, 27th. Edition. I have learned the numbers may be on the conservative side when compared to the on-line version.

In any event, the numbers are from the book - the only reference I use. :)

Let's see: 2008 was a good year for me. Hiked a lot on Mt. Tom, locally in Easthampton, MA. Hiked in NH a bunch. Attended several Barnes Fields Gatherings... met some new people like Rebecca, Darlene, Kim, JF; saw a lot of others like Mats and Caveman and Marc Howes and Dave Bear. Brought a wine-soaked blanket on a backpack with MEB, Giggy, Swamp, Arm, Donna and Shiz -- we all got a corner to suck on. Peed in Giggy's sleeping bag afterwards because I forgot mine at home and the blanket was still soaked. Hung an Italian Flag from my peccadillo in order to prevent snoring at night while tenting with Giggy. Hiked Moriah for the very first time with Barbarossa. The two of us also walked into a bear's den together while on Hawk's Mountain in MA. Hmmmm... let's see what else. Went to BSP with MEB and Little Sister on Labor Day Weekend. Filmed a hideous creature that woke up nearly all of Abol Campsite every morning. Oh, I also grabbed Mats' ass on Old Spec while attending Bearly Live for the first time!!! Visited Ethan Pond for the first time! Smashed my Steripen to a million pieces after it failed me once again on a backpack. Then in November, I drank so much at Pat and Audrey's that I really haven't hiked much since. What a hangover!! Overall, it had plenty of snags but 2008 was a good year. Here's to hoping that 2009 is better!

-Dr. Wu

I think I got old and fat in 2008.. I didn't finish any lists or anything, did 2 high points and hiked some peaks in NY/NH/ME. Watched Dr Wu feel Mat's Ass was probably the highlight of 2008... :eek:

Jay

I guess my year was a bust. I didn't get to see Dr Wu feel anybody up, I missed a BSP trip with Chip because I had a commitment to a church fund raiser, I watched the rain and missed a hike up Garfield.

I did hit the high points on St Paul, one of the Pribilof Islands in Alaska. I got some trail work done. Finally I got to see Mt Martha a few times, the half way point of Ammo Ravine and Nancy/Norcross ponds during a Bicknell Thrush study.

2008 was a good year with over 80 days of awesome hiking….maybe it would have been more had I not had to deal with some minor injuries and surgery which kept me at home for several weeks. Anyway, my adventures included 3wonderful trips BSP, a long weekend of camping in Acadia with my sisters and nieces, a weekend on Monhegan Island and several backpacks. I got to witness the creature at Abol campground over Labor Day weekend and enjoyed another memorable weekend at Barely Live. I also went to Pat and Audrey’s potluck for the first time…what fun! I guess the two biggest things that happened in 2008 was turning the big 40 and having the best surprise party ever and getting my husband to join me on a hike up Pierce a few weeks ago:)

-MEB

Well, my focus these days is more on Western State Highpointing and to that end, I spent a week in Utah and Idaho this July reaching the summits of Kings and Borah. Also had a nice hike of Jackson Peak (Gros Ventre Range) in Wyoming on a separate trip.

But I did get a little bit of eastern hiking in ... traversed the Tongue Mountain Range on Lake George during two trips, hiked Dix Mountain, Rocky Peak from the east (didn't go as far as RPR) and Windham High Peak in the Catskills.

2009 will be more of the same with little time for much eastern hiking with work and family considerations but looking forward to a 9-day trip to Hawaii and California to attempt the highpoints of those states. It's all good. Always nice to see what other folks are up to.

Completed the North East 111 list in winter. Since that I went
every month on the Presidentiel (11 times) and 4 times on
Marcy and Algonquin. I face all kind of condition (sunny days,rainny day,
high wind day,snow day....). Had lots of great views from those above
treeline summit.:)

We completed the 100 Highest of the Moon and when they awarded the patches, they played the National Anthem of the Moon which is, like, really far out.

:cool:

In addition, we hiked several peaks and other geographic highlights west of Moosilauke, all as a pretense to justify dinner at Govonis. It's actually a nice place to hike. Govonis? No you can't hike there but it's a good place to eat. We are on a quest, however, to be seated at each of the 40 tables or so in the place.

After concluding a kayak camping trip to Umbagog we hiked Aziscohos, scouted the Jackman area in anticipation of this year's wilderness paddle, and explored the Carrabasset area, especially Poplar Stream and the new Huts and Trails system under construction.

Poplar Stream Falls Hut has more amenities and is less expensive than the AMC huts; Flagstaff Lake Hut is also now open, full service all winter. Here is a link to their grand opening Jan. 17. Recommend them highly, especially if you like xc skiing.

http://www.mainehuts.org/events/index.htm

Spider and I paddled from Hurds Pond, Wayland, MA, to Concord via the Sudbury River, a scenic wildlife refuge covering most of the 12 miles. I can't count the number of times people said there was no outlet from the pond to the river. We also paddled Great Bay, a first for me ... what tides!

Also paddled on Cape Cod and hiked in the Everglades (alligators galore) and on a barrier island off Georgia (wild horses, wild boars, armadillos and more different waterfowl than I've ever seen).

A highlight of each winter and fall are our Hooligan Hikes, named after our soccer team which forms the core of this group. Last year the Conway Hostel was our winter base, then Zealand Hut in the fall. I hope some VFTTers will join us on one of these trips. The integration of people with and without disabilities is a small personal mission of mine.

Began the NH4K quest with my oldest daughter, thinking we would maybe hike once a month, getting in perhaps 4 peaks during the summer. I watched her face transform into a happy, proud expression as she reached her first 4K peak (Tecumseh), and I watched her look out at the views from the top of Eisenhower (her 2nd peak) with awe and wonder. After that, she wanted to get out as often as we could.

Found a love for the Whites myself, with each week I just want to get out there more and more, with or without Alex, solo, with others, whatever. I just want to get out there and stay out there.

Last edited:
2008 was a great year for me and the start of my serious hiking. My goals were to hike all 48 of the NH4K in 2008 and to hike over 1000 miles. Most of the mileage was to come from my morning hikes up Pack Monadnock for exercise.

My Garmin GPS followed me on all my 4000 footer hikes and various other hikes to track the distance and ascent. Pack Monadnock is 2.6 miles and 840 ft of ascent so I just kept track of the number of my trips up.

2008 Stats:
Completed Single Year 48/48 of NH4Ks (starting 05/14/08, finishing 09/11/08)
Total of 53 4K Peaks for the year
Hiked up Pack Monadnock 198 times
Total Distance of 888 miles, 284998 ft ascent

Last edited:
  • worked on the NEHH
  • hiked a lot on the western edge of the Whites
  • got First Aid/CPR certified
  • learned how to use a crosscut saw
  • trailwork/boundary work
  • learned how to identify more flowering plants and trees
  • just generally enjoyed myself in the woods
  • ate lots of berries on the mountains
  • paid tribute to Ray Loring

I too thoroughly enjoyed 2008. We were able to spend more time in trailwork and got a refresher course to deal with torrential, epic rainfall. Got to hike in all sorts of weather and test out new equipment. The Mrs. and I were able to get away (I mean A-W-A-Y, WAY AWAY) twice in the summer and she really hit stride with her trail legs. I also enjoyed hiking with my brother a lot. I also accomplished an 18th Century re-enactment hike in the name of my father, and his fathers before him. (see" Ye Olde Hiking" TR, yes,yes, blatant promotion) We set new goals for next year. I got in a lot of reflection and gained reason for future hope as well, when it comes to the hiking of NH, I mean.

I have also came to the conclusion that I will never again refer to the lust for hiking as an "addiction", "disease", or "catching the bug". They have such a negative connotation. Hiking is anything but that. Its not a sickness. Life is sometimes a sickness. And for all that ails you, hiking is the cure.

not the best of years, worked till about 8 or 9 every night, gained 35 pounds, no vacations on this contract. but a few highlights, brought 3 newbies up mt pierce for their first 4k. built an igloo somewhere..did a few canoe trips on the contoocook and brought coworkers from India on the pemi with my kayaks. The best part of the year was the acadia trip and the baxter trip.