Kinsmans, 1/4/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRiz

Reaction score
After a thoroughly exhilarating hike to Isolation on Saturday, I was more than ready to tackle the Kinsmans. The sky was slightly overcast as we arrived at the Mt. Kinsman trial "parking area" - Which quite frankly is so well hidden that I would have had an impossible time finding it on my own. Drew, Cath, Jeremy, and I had carpooled together from Franconia. Whilst busying ourselves with last minute preparations, Eric pulled into a spot right next to us. Although Steve and Tim were supposed to be joining us as well, it was very chilly outside... and after donning our snowshoes, we made the decision to start slowly up the trail. Seeing as I'd only hiked the Kinsmans from the Franconia Notch side (via Fishin' Jimmy), I was hugely excited to have the opportunity to try out a new approach.

The trail started to climb almost immediately, albeit at a very gradual incline. About half a mile into the hike, I became quite warm and found it necessary to stop and remove my fantastically awesome gorilla fleece, which was making me sweat like crazy! Right at that time, Drew received a call from Steve, who had just arrived at the trailhead with Tim. We waited for them to catch up, and then proceeded to make our way up the mountain.

I was surprised by how bare the ground was - snowshoes frankly weren't necessary. Eric quickly bounded ahead of the rest of the group. His energy levels were amazing, considering that he'd joined us on the Isolation hike the day before. I plodded along at a steady pace behind Jeremy, who is also an extremely fast hiker, but opted to stay behind and wait for me. Luckily for us, the trail was well packed out for the entirety of our ascent. We regrouped at the Bald Peak spur trail, climbed a little more, passed a kissing rock (which I proceeded to hide behind so that I could spook Drew :D), and in no time at all were at the Kinsman Ridge junction.

Brrrr, was it cold! Shivering, I pulled out my hard shell and mittens, and jumped around for a bit in an effort to warm up. Nonetheless, the wind wasn't half as strong as it had been the day before on Isolation, and the temperatures - approximately 10F - were simply balmy in comparison! Upon downing a chocolate GU shot and a Luna Bar, I was feeling considerably better. Eric and Jeremy had already started up the trail... and I clumsily lumbered after them.

My memories of hiking Kinsman Ridge last year weren't very pleasant, but oh wow, was it a different story in the winter:

The trail was in wonderful shape all the way up to the North Kinsman ledges, at which point I had the pleasure of running into my friend Peakbagger just below the summit. I was glad to have the opportunity to thank him in person for the delicious brownies he'd left for me on the Liberty/Flume hike that we'd done together 9 days prior. After lingering for a few minutes on the summit, we were soon on our way once again.

Hiking towards South Kinsman, I became progressively more excited about the fact that I was about to tag my 21st 4k peak of the 2008/2009 winter season. I know it's silly, but I found it quite fitting that as a 21 year old girl, I'd have 21 mountains under my belt by the time I returned to work the next day. As the trees began to dwindle, my energy levels increased tremendously... and once the summit was within eyeshot, I let out a huge yip and sprinted my way towards the cairn. After dancing around for a while like the crazy girl that I am, I settled down enough for Eric to take a short video of me. A marvelous fog bow stretched its way across the sky, and the undercast to the west was particularly unusual... strangely resemblant of calm ocean waters. I'd never seen such a sight:

...and to put the icing on the cake, we were rewarded with views of Franconia Ridge upon returning to the North Kinsman ledges. I made a point to wave to my friends Mardi, Tim, and Ed, knowing that they were just across the notch :D:

The descent itself was smooth, and made even more pleasant by the coffee that Drew so kindly shared with me :). Upon reaching the Bald Peak spur, we regrouped and then (with the exception of Drew), made the decision to take a quick side trip up to the mountain. It was well worth it, since the views were absolutely spectacular:

Tim decided to stay behind to take some additional photographs (which I hope he'll share with me :)) whilst the rest of us headed down the mountain. Jeremy stopped on occasion to clear blowdowns. About a quarter mile from the trailhead, we caught up with Drew, who pointed out an unusual architectural structure that he'd found to us - resemblant of some sort of creepy ship/house thing... and then we were back at our cars! Grinning like a maniac, I plopped down in the snow and took a short break to cool off. It had been a brilliant day, and I could not have been happier.

Before I close out this trip report, I'd like to take a moment to thank all of the people who have assisted me thus far with my winter hiking goals. In the past two weeks, I've been pushed to my limits, challenged in ways that I cannot even begin to explain, and learned so much about who I am and what I'm capable of accomplishing (with the right amount of grit, determination, and encouragement). If you'd asked me this past summer about even attempting to climb all 48 4ks in a single winter season... I'd have deemed it to be a ridiculous notion. But now, 21 peaks down, I honestly feel that I have a shot (as ambitious as it is) at realizing this goal.

Thank you... :)

Great trip report and photos! It seemed like a mini-VFTT convention up on the ridge, running into Peakbagger and then Feathered Hat.

Yet another rousing Trip Report, Larissa!

You have a real gift for writing which makes your reports tremendously enjoyable to read. I’ll bet you got A+ in your writing courses at school!

Well, McRat and I SHOULD have been behind you guys, but being Fools we could not find the trail head (despits both of us having our guide books giving explicit directions on how to find it :eek: ) so kept on driving to Pierce. I have been dying to get back to the Kinsmans for a while now. It has been about 3 years since I was on them and the view from South Kinsman is a bit hazy in my memory (big surprise there...I would forget my name if it were not sewn on my underwear :rolleyes:). Oh well....another time I guess. :D

Brian

I just love it when that happens....on the trails, in the bars, in McD's parking lots...you just never know where or who or when, but its always special! :)

Yep - and it's great when you don't even need to say scrambled crocodile eggs or whatever the code phrase is. :)

It's Gotta be the Brownies

Great report and pictures of the day Larisa! The cold and frost in the air that day was really making for some cool visual effects.

I didn't stay much longer at Bald Peak , but this was my favorite shot before I left, looking up at the snowline on the Kinsmans:
Snowline_from_Bald_Peak.jpg

Good to meet you, Jeremy, Unfrozen Caveman and Eric, and hope we get to hike again soon. And nice work on bagging 21 peaks already this season!

A few more pics here

Yep - and it's great when you don't even need to say scrambled crocodile eggs or whatever the code phrase is. :)

People usually recognize my dog. :)

Tim--that frostline is a cool effect -- we noticed it driving through the notch that afternoon. The contrast between the brown woods and the pure white ridgelines was striking.

Great report, Lari! And sorry for the thread hijack! I've only hiked the Kinsmans in Winter -- so I doubt I'll be back that way before next summer. Thanks for your pictures!

Larisa,

Very nice! Congratulations in advance on your Single-Season W48. I'm sure you'll be checking off the final one very soon.

Perhaps you can run through the list a second time as a cool-down lap. ;)

I just love it when that happens....on the trails, in the bars, in McD's parking lots...you just never know where or who or when, but its always special! :)

Lonesome Lake Hut was a stopover point for a parade of VFTT and ROT members on Saturday and Sunday.
Peakbagger,Cumulus,Hiker Bob,Poison Ivy,and Jason on the trail down

Really great report, Larisa! I know very little about the Whites, but following your incredible quest makes me want to get out on them. I wish you well in your remaining 27!

-Tyler ;)

Tim - Your pictures are just stunning. I wish that I'd been able to capture the frostline as beautifully as you did... It was a pleasure to meet you. I, too, hope that we can hike together again soon.

I’ll bet you got A+ in your writing courses at school!

I was the master of procrastination back in the day... 10+ page research paper, the night before? No problem! It's incredible that I did so well in school, really. ;)

Well, McRat and I SHOULD have been behind you guys, but being Fools we could not find the trail head (despits both of us having our guide books giving explicit directions on how to find it :eek: )

We were wondering where you two were! I certainly would not have found the trailhead had I been on my own. Hope you had a good time on Pierce!

Perhaps you can run through the list a second time as a cool-down lap. ;)

We shall see, we shall see... As long as my body holds up. :)