Books on hiking the Catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure you'll get a lot of good responses, but here are a few to get you started: "The Guide to Catskill Trails" by the ADK (Bruce Wadsworth), "Catskill Mountain Guide" by the AMC (Peter Kick), and "The Central Catskills: A Ranger's Guide to the High Peaks" (Edward Henry).

I like the Edward Henry books. One is on Northern Catskills, the other Central.
I saw at the bookstore that he also has one on the Shawangunks.

I have the ADK book on hiking in the catskills (no map) but I haven't really touched it that much.

Heck, this forum is a great guide to hiking almost anywhere in the NE. :)

Jay

Of those books that Rob listed I think the one by Peter Kick is the best. The Ranger's Guide covers only the selected trails that the author prefers. It has some of his impressions and opinions, so if you like that sort of stuff, you may enjoy it more. I prefer my trail guides to be thorough and completely lacking in editorial comment. The AMC book comes closest, although it does have some commentary, it is very complete and accurate (with the exception of the commentary, which in many cases is inaccurate and misleading, which is why I wish they would stick to writing about the trails and let us form our own opinions).
I own and have read all three books, but the AMC is the one I carry.
Happy Hiking,
Tom

In addition to the books mentioned above is a book I bought in the 90's, "Hiking The Catskills" by Lee McAllister. I really like it and have found it very interesting and informative, not sure if it's still in print though. Some of its descriptions are getting out of date since it was written in the 80's. For instance, some of the views it mentions on some of the bushwack peaks are starting to get grown in. I also like both of Ed Henrys books and met him once a long time ago on Kaaterskill High Peak.

Once you get hooked on hiking in the Catskills you might want to pony up the money for "The Catskill Forest - A History" by Michael Kudish. That's if you REALLY want to know in depth about the area your hiking in. Another interesting book I found recently was "Fire Towers of the Catskills" by Martin Podskoch. It's now sitting on my table competing with "The Catskill Forest" and a bunch of of other books for my attention. Unfortunately I haven't had much time lately to either hike or read...........

maps mentioned are a must. In addition I picked the ADK book as the AMC book does not really cover trail-less peaks very well.

If you are considering doing the Catskill 35, you need info on the trail-less peaks, some of which rival the hardest of the ADK & ME peaks as they get less traffic & growth at 3500 - 3800 feet is pretty thick.