Grivel G10 on big boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werdigo49

Reaction score
My G10s won't quite fit on a new pair of Sorel Caribou boots, even with the stainless steel strap removed and a bolt and nut used in the last hole. I'm considering drilling a hole through the stainless strap ahead of the heel plate and installing a bolt there, using roughly hole #14.

Has anyone done this? Does it look feasible? (These Grivels are, as yet, unused. They fit fine on my NorthFace winter boots and my Merrell Wilderness boots.)

In the 'daks, looking out the window at what looks like a Christmas card scene...

Last edited:
Before you drill holes, may I offer two suggestions?

If your boots don't fit by just a little bit, try buying the extended center bar. The Mountaineer in Keene Valley should carry them.

If you can't get a hold of a long bar, take two short bars and put a bolt and locking nut though the holes that already exist. This will give you a bar than go up to twice as long as the original, and even longer than the long bar.

Those ideas might save some drilling time :)

I have G10s with the long bar on my size 13 Columbia Ice Dragon IIs, and I am in the last hole - no room for my boots to grow, so-to-speak.

Tim

Last edited:
Thanks! I get up through Keene Valley now and then, and will try The Mountaineer for the longer bar. I'm not even sure the old drills I have here at the camp would get through that stainless anyway!

My boots are only size 11, so if 13's make it, mine surely should. I didn't know longer bars were available... thanks again.

Thanks! I get up through Keene Valley now and then, and will try The Mountaineer for the longer bar. I'm not even sure the old drills I have here at the camp would get through that stainless anyway!

My boots are only size 11, so if 13's make it, mine surely should. I didn't know longer bars were available... thanks again.

Just so you know, the boot size doesn't always match up with the hole on the center bar size. I have pac boots size 10, but they didn't fit in my regular center bars (even though the size goes up to 14 I think?). It still sounds as though the long bar will work for you, I just wanted to throw that out there.

I was doing some showshoeing up near Keene Valley yesterday and stopped at The Mountaineer. What a great store! They installed long flexible bars on my Grivels, replacing the standard length rigid bars... and my biggest boots, the Sorel Caribou size 11, now fit with the pin in the third from the rear hole!

Again, thanks for the advice about this.

Hi,
Are the long flexible bars available with a part name?

I have a North Face Ice Storm boot with Boa (Stainless steell lacing ) which is so good I would switch crampons befroe I switched boots My crapmpons (Grivel G10s) just about fit.
Climbing Stallion/BMT

Make sure the strap is long enough!

I don't have Grivel G10s, but I recently upgraded from leather boots to plastic boots and figure I should share my experience:

I tested to make sure the crampons would "fit" the plastic boots well before the hilke. I stopped short of strapping them together.

Last week up on Pierce we're switching into crampons before the summit and then I realize that the straps are barely long enough for the larger boots. Luckly my companion had a mini pair of pliars and we were able to tighten the straps.

I guess the name of the game is to fully test the setup before the hike! :)

My G10s with long bars in the last hole and size 13 Columbia Ice Dragon IIs have PLENTY of left over strap. Almost too much, actually. I thread the extra length under one of the tight sections and it stays put nicely.

Tim

Hi,
Are the long flexible bars available with a part name?

I have a North Face Ice Storm boot with Boa (Stainless steell lacing ) which is so good I would switch crampons befroe I switched boots My crapmpons (Grivel G10s) just about fit.
Climbing Stallion/BMT

The sheet in the plastic package says "FLEX LONG Regulation bar, cm 19; for G10/Air Tech/Air Tech Light/G12; Art. RB097.21"

Hope this helps...