Hikes near Bennington, VT-Best bang for your buck

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADKdremn

Reaction score
A buddy of mine is spending the weekend in Bennington VT. He'd like to get out for a hike somewhere near by. What are some close peaks, or nice walks in the woods that anyone could recomend. Something trailed, well marked, etc. He's a winter hiker, snowshoes, prepared, etc just not too familiar with the area.
Thanks!

The Mt. Olga fire tower is nice (east on Route 9)

Equinox of course is a good sized hike (north on 7)

Bromley via the AT is nice as well

Greylock isn't too far south

The AT from the Mass border north is nice. If I recall, there are a couple good view spots that get cleared regularly along that section..... Mount Anthony is really pretty.....not sure if there is a trail or not. Glastenbury Mtn. isn't too far either ( on the AT).

If you have a Long Trail Day Hiker's guide you should be able to find some fun stuff. Near Manchester there is one that I think is called Owl's Head (I'm at work and don't have my guide with me today) that I haven't done, but looks like fun. Also over that way (near Manchester) is Mt. Aeolous (Green Mtn) and that was a fun hike too. Went past some cool old quarry sites. Mother Myrick Moutnain has a geocache on it, IIRC and a snowmobile/atv trail. So, this time of year you'd probably have some motorized company.

Glastenbury is a great trip, but better as an overnight at Goddard Shelter. I think the hike in to Glastenbury is about 8 or 9 miles (isn't it or am I off on that one?) so the RT might be more than you're looking for.

Glastenbury is a great trip, but better as an overnight at Goddard Shelter. I think the hike in to Glastenbury is about 8 or 9 miles (isn't it or am I off on that one?) so the RT might be more than you're looking for.

That is about right.

Bald Mt. is a good choice as you can leave right from Bennington.
The LT either south or north are great.
Haystack Mt. near Mt. Snow is another choice for a dayhike.

Duh. How could I forget Haystack! Some friends and I had views all the way to a still snow capped Washington on a very clear day in May from Haystack. Or else, I was hallucinating with post Cinco de Mayo party hangover. hmmm...

Also, there is a brew pub in Bennington (why can't I think of the name?) and I'd rate it at just okay in the beer department, but I'm pretty picky about my beer. But they do have a satisfying fish and chips.

Harmon Hill would be a good choice. Drive east on Rt. 9 to the AT/LT parking lot and walk south.

If you have a Long Trail Day

"For this stretch of trail, even in wilderness areas (Glastenbury Mountain, Lye Brook, Peru Peak and Big Branch), the path is very obvious and hard to lose."
It appears that the blazes are very few and far apart, if any. I don't know how easy it would be to follow at this time of year.
Don't forget the compass.
AND, there is always Stratton accessed from Arlington-West Wardsboro Rd (Kelly Stand).
(Copied from info I obtained this past week from GMC.)

Last edited: