Post Hike Traditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

percious

Reaction score
After the dicussion on lodging I thought I would add this post. One of our favorite after trip traditions is to find a pizza place and pig out. Our pizza joint of choice, Phat Shannon's in Keene. Has anyone else eaten here? Absolutely awesome. What do you like to do after a long hike?

-percious

For us, it's been getting a nice bowl of French onion soup just prior to an enourmous meal when we get off the trail.. :D

Just yesterday, me and my friend finished our little 6-day/5-night trip in the high peaks area (there's no trip report because it was a bit of a failure for me - I wound up dehydrating myself the 3rd day in, and spent too much time recovering to see/hike much more...boohoo...he got to summit Marcy though!), absolutely CRAVING some French onion soup. When we got back to the Loj, the staff there recommended a place in Lake Placid that we decided to go to. The food was good and the portions fairly large, as we were told, but they were out of quite a few things this sunday afternoon, and one of them was............French onion soup!!!!!!!!! :(

We ate there anyway, and decided we'd hit the "usual" place we've eaten at in Woodstock, a few hours later during the drive home. We go there to find they don't serve it in the summer, but the guy there recommends another place across town. We finally track that place down ('The Bear', or something like that) intent on ordering just French onion soup, but instead both order another huge meal along with our soup when we see the menu. It was gooooood eating, but my wallet is hurting now. :/

One of my favorite places to stop after a long hike in the Adirondacks is the Noonmark Diner! Nothing beats the Trailblazer steak sandwich and an ice cold Mountain Dew!!!

Depending on where I'm hiking out. If in Keene Valley, the milkshake at Noonmark. If at the Loj, pasta at Jimmy's in Lake Placid. If around Upper Works, milkshake at Stewart's in Long Lake.

After the beer, of course.

After a hike my buddies and I usually pass a bong around in the car then stop at a gas station and buy lots of munchies. Good times...good times.

Take off the boots, soak my feet in cold water for a few minutes, and gulp an Ibuprophen. Then an ice cream cone at the Dam in Chocorua and a cup of coffee for the 3-hour drive home. If no ice cream, a bag of McD's fries (normally forbidden) will do in a pinch.

Last edited:
Depending on level of smell, we usually try to hit a nearby diner to get a bit of the local flavor. If not available, we load up on the McDonald's $1 value menu.

If I'm with other people:
I like to try to get as clean as possible using those alcohol wipes, and put on clean clothes. Then we go to a sit down restaurant and enjoy. Favorites in the Lake Placid area are Downhill Grill, Casa del Sol (Saranac Lake), Lake Placid Pub, Little Italy (??) in Saranac Lake. I don't want to go anywhere too fancy, because I'm still pretty grungy.

If I'm alone:
I might put on a clean shirt, and then pick up some fast food through the drive in window. The greasier and more carbo loaded the better. I eat without guilt.

Then I've got a 2 hour drive home. Then its a hot shower and into bed.

I like the milkshake ideas at Stewarts and Noonmark. I am going to have to try that!

No question - an ice-cold coke at the trailhead, a quick change in the parking lot, then beer and food and beer at the Woodstock Inn.
:D

Artex said:
Depending on level of smell, we usually try to hit a nearby diner to get a bit of the local flavor.

Ah.. You reminded me of what my son and his gang like to do. The ADK pro trailcrew. After spending 5 days living in a tent and working in the mud, then hauling out 80 pound packs.

They like to go into a local 'establishment' to gross out people.

After a High Peaks baggin trip, my brothers and I love to refuel at the Noonmark before we head off is different directions. Almost anything off the menu, plenty of Cokes and a milkshake for dessert.

After the Whites, my favorite eats include the Common Man or Tiltn Diner. If returning through North Conway, take West Side Rd. to avoid the traffic and stop for a dip at Diana's Baths (usually just on non-winter trips).

McGrossout

Delighted to see this thing working again. Haven't checked in since the last big crash still had the boards inoperative.

Two major post-(successful)hike traditions have remained constant since my college-boy days of the mid-'70s: one group photo at the trailhead/parking lot (to bookend the pre-hike photo taken at the same spot), and then a drive straight to the Route 86 McDonald's, where we enter still dirt-caked and reeking. Double cheeseburgers for me, plain hamburgers for my dog, varying choices for varying other hiking companions. We've become considerate enough of the other patrons over the years that at least we eat outside at the picnic tables now. After that, about a 45-minute shower at a motel, then a cardiac infarction from the combination of the hike and the McDonald's food.

Best wishes --
Uncle Butch

1. Sit on hydration bladder on hood of car to make a shower and clean up.

2. Put on clean cotton everything.

3. Find someplace to pig out; lots of red meat and gravy.