East Osceoal via Greeley Ponds ski trail, Greeley Ponds & Mt. Osceola trails, Jan. 10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poison ivy

Reaction score
East Osceoal via Greeley Ponds ski trail, Greeley Ponds & Mt. Osceola trails, Jan. 10

Trail conditions: For something different, we decided to ski in via the Greeley Ponds XC Ski Trail. I am not a particulary good skier-- had a lot of trouble with the two stream crossings (got my boots wet on the first one.) The upper half of the ski trail was in great shape and fun to follow though. Greeley Ponds and Mt. Osceola Trail were broken out (there was a large group snowshoeing that packed the trail down nicely.) Crampons definitely needed for the steep bits -- the snow was loose power over ice. We also wore them for the slide, which was better than I've seen it in other winters-- only one tough icy step that required real care to walk around. We turned back at East Osceola, though the large group carried on to Osceola so the trail is definitely broken out.

Equipment needed: We used skis for the ski trail, snowshoes for much of the ascent and crampons for the steep stuff and the slide.

Comments: This was a tougher day than I expected! I probably wouldn't take the cross-country ski trail in again due to the brook crossings. But if I was a better skier, it probably would have been fine. I enjoyed the nice run at the end of the day though! Neither of us was feeling in top form, so it took us forever to reach East Osceola.... so we decided that was enough for the day. Views were gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous from the slide and the overlook so it was all good.

Pictures can be found here: http://ivyhikes.smugmug.com/gallery/7067588_nmr9C#452852374_vEZSH

Last edited: