Sometimes you hike your own hike, Pierce..1/10/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverfox

Reaction score
It is hard to top all the amazing pictures and reports about hikes over this past weekend but i will throw my 2 cents in..

Feeling at about 60 percent strength these days due to some knee woes , while I knew I wanted to get out it seems 6-8 miles is my limit.. Despite news of a couple of other longer more interesting hikes going on in the area I decided on an old favorite, Pierce, via the Crawford Path..I hate holding people up....so solo it was...

A lively conversation with zman and 1Happyhiker got the day off to a good start..that's a fun couple of guys there..I am pleased their plan worked out to perfection..

There was enough loose and unconsolidated snow that I started with snowshoes and stayed with them from parking lot to parking lot..proved to be a perfect choice..I was amazed to see unnamed organized groups from the south not even carrying snowshoes..leaving an occaisional posthole of great depth and pounding out all the little snowbridges on this
trail...but i digress....

I first came across a woman, Susan I think, skinning up on her new BC skis..she was working hard and I think turned around about halfway to the cutoff... I played tag several times with AMC group..they has a couple of scragglers but helped me slow the pace down a bit as I tend to over exert when solo.. Beautiful day..bluebird skies..loose fluffy powder on all the trees.cold but virtually calm..just terrific.. Once to the first lookout ledge the windpicked up . a group wrestled with crampons etc at the signpost there but i found the MSRs perfect for ascent to the summit on the short stretches of ice and windblown snow...A large group milling around the summit at this point..Old friend Luis popped over to say hi..he was out with some folks heading to Ike, as Pierce was my goal as well we decided to hike down together and chat a bit..
A booming greeting cuts through the wind...."I recognize that hat" says this guy with a kilt who could only be Mad River...then I see the tell tale green coat of the cribbage champ and say hi to Geri and Bob..Trish is there..Rocknrolls pulls down the face mask and smiles....there were a couple of others who's names I missed:( but I mean seriously folks...how good is life.....the people you meet on the internet.....

Luis and I chatted a bit..we could see Leon and the rest of his group just getting up to Ike..after the VFTTers clattered off in their snowshoes headed that way we headed out for a nice leisurely walk down the mountain...my heart wanted to head over to Ike and extend the hike but this was the right choice...

What a great day in the Whites...and man..it was all blue sky and white snow.....

a few pics..someday i will get them in the body of message here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverfox777/sets/72157612410431332/

Last edited:
nice to meet you

Silverfox aka Mark,

It was great to meet you yesterday- John has mentioned you a number of times (very positively of course) so I 'm glad we finally had a chance to meet- Hang in there with the knee problem- I was hobbled for many many months with a patella problem which finally seems to have decided it had enough, and I'm finally getting back in shape- Hope your knee improves and we meet again-

BTW- my kids went to camp and worked on Bear Island (Nokomis) for many years so I'm guessing you know some of the Y people at the dock and on the island-

Marty

Great TR, Mark,

Saturday was picture perfect for hiking. You said it, Sabrina: It's all about the people you meet, on the web, on the trail.

Jabberwalk

Last edited:
Feeling at about 60 percent strength these days due to some knee woes , while I knew I wanted to get out it seems 6-8 miles is my limit.. Despite news of a couple of other longer more interesting hikes going on in the area I decided on an old favorite, Pierce, via the Crawford Path.
Hey Mark, despite your knee issue you’re still out there on the trails and doing things like Mt. Pierce which is far more than a huge percentage of our “couch potato” society can do. By this time next year, you’ll be back to full speed, and this little bend in the road will be just a distant memory!

Nice TR & pics!

Hey Mark, despite your knee issue you’re still out there on the trails and doing things like Mt. Pierce which is far more than a huge percentage of our “couch potato” society can do. By this time next year, you’ll be back to full speed, and this little bend in the road will be just a distant memory!

Nice TR & pics!

Amen to the above.

Good to finally meet you out there, hope to meet you again soon (probably on Tecumseh :))