Where the Hale were you guys?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillwalker

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Despite the wonderful marathon trip reports made by the younger members of this forum, and remembering hikes like those accomplished during my younger days (I will be seventy in the Fall), Here is my contribution.

Six AM on Saturday, with the outside temperature registering -10 degrees I sat in my truck at the winter parking for Zealand trailhead. I was thinking about a PM I had found on my computer at two AM back in Wentworth. A group of really fun hiking friends was going to hike the Firewarden's Trail to Hale this day, then camp at Hancock CG on Saturday night.

At six thirty, just as it was getting light I strapped my BC skis and snowshoes onto my pack and set out to walk the Zealand road to the unplowed part of the road for the ski up to the Hale Brook trailhead.

The road was somewhat ice and snow covered, but probably skiable despite the fact that it was again in use by logging trucks. After a quick and pleasant walk and ski to the Hale parking lot I switched from skis to snowshoes for the hike up to Hales summit.

The snowshoe up to Hale was uneventful with the exception of the long steep side hill section ending at the box canyon. The trail had been packed out and was pretty nice traveling, but don't slip sideways!

Even though it was a bright sunny day, I didn't reach direct sunshine until I hit the summit clearing on Hale. But the sun shining on the hills around me, and in the treetops was enticing.

I reached the summit at eleven, rearranged my clothing layers and waited for the group who were to leave the Seven Dwarves at nine AM.

At one PM I decided that someones plans had undoubtedly changed. I had better start down and decided to go down the FWT and maybe meet the crew on their way up. The trail was not broken out after the last ten inch+ snowfall, but was very nice going. After proceeding down to where the old abandoned Sugerloaf trail heads straight and the FWT turns abruptly left, I switched to my skis, but prudently left my 18 inch Kick Skins on.

I took my only pictures at that point:

http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2686037950063988367bzHRUF?vhost=entertainment

http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2908326920063988367SBGxaQ?vhost=entertainment

http://entertainment.webshots.com/photo/2149691190063988367IxfVaL?vhost=entertainment

Once my boards were on my feet I carefully skied down to the big mud hole near the bottom, below the glades where I switched backed to snowshoes until I reached the North Twin trail then it was back to skis until I hit the Seven Dwarves. Then a two mile road walk to the highway and a quick hitch back to my truck in the dark.

In all a beautiful day and a satisfying outing.

But where were you guys?

Last edited:
Errrrr... We were on Lafayette!

Apology on the way!!

Cool trip though. Sorry we were somewhere else!

-Dr. Wu

No problem

Hey no problem Wu. Lafayette must have been awesome too. Anyway as you know I enjoy solo hiking so it wasn't really a problem.

The only low note is that I lost one of my 18 inch yellow kick skins where I took my skis back off at below the big mud hole on the lower third of the FWT.

There is a reward for its return. Half the retail cost at least.

First of all, nice trip report and pictures.

Secondly, if I am lucky enough to live to be 70 and am doing the things you do, I will be one happy guy! Your one of those people who "lives" and doesn't just exist in life, which is the minority these days... Just keep on doing what your doing. Your an inspiration to us all.

Third, when I was viewing your webshot pics, it said I was the 999,999 person, and to click here for my prize. Should i do it? :D

Despite the wonderful marathon trip reports made by the younger members of this forum, and remembering hikes like those accomplished during my younger days (I will be seventy in the Fall), Here is my contribution.

One Hale of a trip Hillwalker!!

And concerning the above, a few quotes come to mind as follows:

Abraham Lincoln:
And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Billie Burke:
Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Maurice Chevalier:
Old age isn't so bad when you consider the alternative.