Mt. Hight and Carter Dome via Carter Dome and Carter Moriah Trails 1/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alpinehobbit

Trail Conditions: Nineteen Mile Brook Tr is packed solid, Carter Dome was untouched so I broke that out with my MSRs - some pretty deep pockets where I sank to my knee even with the snowshoes on. Saw several old postholes from a barebooter - I would not try that now. Lost the trail a bit at the stream crossing - don't follow my tracks up the hill to the right unless you want to do a gnarly bushwack through some serious powder and dense trees. Carter Moriah also unbroken on both sides of Zeta Pass. Powder got a bit deeper on the steep ascent up Hight. Summit of Hight is pretty windblown but minimal snow and no major ice issues. The ridge to Carter Dome was loaded with deep powder - a really fun snowshoe walk. Carter Dome summit, being pretty protected by trees, is covered with a few feet of snow, and also was untouched. Descent to Carter Notch was really fun in the knee-deep powder. Saw the Hut caretaker and a few others going up as I was coming down, so the trail is definitely broken out. The lake is frozen solid so I just cut across it. Nineteen Mi Brook from the Hut is in great shape, and there are some really neat ice formations on the brook.

Special Equipment Required: Snowshoes for sure, poles are always useful, full winter gear for the summits (the 11th was pretty cold, though relatively calm). As of now, no real need for crampons, although I threw mine on for part of the descent to Carter Notch - figured if I carried them all day I might as well use them. Definitely want a camera if you get a bluebird day like today was.

Comments: Perfect day for hiking in the Whites. Could see the ocean from Mt. Hight. Surprised I didn't see more people up high.

Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/alpinehobbit/CarterRange#