How do you guys do this???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not strange at all!!!! I am the same way. I went to bed extra early for my second to last trip, but barely slept at all the whole night, because I was so excited to hike and kept running though what the trip was going to be like in my head.
It happens now for every trip...and the bigger the excursion, the more excited I am and the less sleep I get, haha.

This is a huge problem for me! I call it Christmas Eve Syndrome. The night before a hike, I'm like a little kid trying to get to sleep on the night before Christmas. I get so psyched while pouring over maps, checking the forecast, making notes, packing my bags, etc, that I find I can't sleep and when I dont sleep, I end up walking around the house as stiff as the tin man the next morning.

That's a big reason why I dont really plan hikes anymore. I wake up when I wake up and get in the truck and go.

bob

I take my time. Drive up Friday, set up camp and go to bed early. Hike Saturday, have a big dinner and some beverages by a fire with friends. Laugh, BS, drink somemore then drive home on Sunday.

Sure to be a cop magnet even on the plushmobile you drive.

All he has to do is claim he's REALLY into VW's and Bratwurst. ;)
Cool plate Tom !

I don't sleep well before a big hike so I do better at home with an extra early start. I've left CT at 2am for a 8am start. That night after the hike I usually leave open, either drive back (not too often) or crash there somewhere.

That was my strategy. Now that I'm back in school part-time and working extra full time, most of my trips for the next year or two will be quite local. :rolleyes:

This is a great post. I'm not alone! Do any of you nearly cry when the morning alarm goes off? I do.

If a drive is longer than 1.5 hours, I can't usually do it, need someone else to share the behind the wheel time. On the way home, I can drive a long distance easily. (That's why I take Sonata for chronic insomnia -- going to sleep at night is my big challenge.) If I'm traveling alone, podcasts or an audio book help tremendously. Right now, for example, I'm listening to Deep Survival which is a fascinating take on how the brain works during stressful situations.

Last edited:
Drive time is part of the overall hike for me (typically two to three hours each way depending on the trailhead location). Every hike I do is a day hike. And, I generally start and end at home. In the planning process I work out the actual hike details. Then, I decide a target time to be out which also determines the start time. From there, it’s easy to decide the departure time and expected return time. There is always a detailed hike plan left at home – just in case.

If it’s necessary for me to be up before 2:00am I’ll generally get to bed a little earlier than usual. Almost always, I beat the alarm clock and wake up before it goes off.

I just sleep at friends houses close to where I'm hiking....it's who you know I guess and where they live! :D

Connections! I also grew up in Conway so can always fall back on staying at family.:rolleyes:

Warmer weather I camp or sleep in car! Pays to have a big car too, makes it pretty cozy..:p

If you live in NJ, you get used to the driving to the mountains... :)

I'm, being a morning person and light sleeper, can easily wake up any time of the morning and be on the road in a 1/2 hour, given that I have already packed and stuffed the car the night before, made lunch for the hike, etc. etc. I have left my house in Jan at 1am and have been in the ADKs by 5am so I could hike the Dix range in a day. Fortunately didn't have to drive home afterwards but I was quite mobile and awake til like 10pm the same day.... It's all relative to one's natural body, if one is used to it by doing it often. I've driven to the catskills and back in the same day, which would be about 2 hours each way, but usually I will stay the weekend.

Jay

I've done the day trip to NH once and that was enough to tell me that it's not for me :rolleyes:. I need a good nights sleep and shots of espresso and red bull aren't going to help me...especially on the drive home.

So...while I will probably do the day trip again, my preference is an overnight with 2 days of hiking.

For those new to the whites, Hikers Paradise in Gorham and the Hostel in Conway both offer low cost places to stay on weekends. Feel free to search for past threads on either.

I have run onto a lot of folks who drive up on Friday night so they can get a jump on the trails Saturday AM, of course that assumes that the party instinct isnt too strong on Friday night ;)

I did the majority of the NE 100 as dayhikes except Baxter. Even using Gorham as a base, its a long drive to and from Eustis for the White Cap and Boundary combo. One of these days I have to repeat it since Cupsuptic Snow made the list.

This is a great post. I'm not alone! Do any of you nearly cry when the morning alarm goes off? I do.

I think there's some of "why do I do this again" in all of us when the alarm goes off at 3 in the morning!

I just sleep at friends houses close to where I'm hiking....it's who you know I guess and where they live! :D

Connections! I also grew up in Conway so can always fall back on staying at family.:rolleyes:

Warmer weather I camp or sleep in car! Pays to have a big car too, makes it pretty cozy..:p

You can sleep in your car in cold weather, too! It makes it more challenging that way.
I spent one night in the Noonmark Diner (in the Adirondacks) parking lot with the heater on the whole night. Was pretty crammed with all my gear all over the place in my Subaru trying to dry for the next days trip. But it got down to 10 degrees or so that night, so it was much more comfortable than being in a tent by the trailhead! 8 hours and an 8th a tank of gas later, everything was dry and I set out on my next trip!

If you live in NJ, you get used to the driving to the mountains... :)

I'm, being a morning person and light sleeper, can easily wake up any time of the morning and be on the road in a 1/2 hour, given that I have already packed and stuffed the car the night before, made lunch for the hike, etc. etc. I have left my house in Jan at 1am and have been in the ADKs by 5am so I could hike the Dix range in a day. Fortunately didn't have to drive home afterwards but I was quite mobile and awake til like 10pm the same day.... It's all relative to one's natural body, if one is used to it by doing it often. I've driven to the catskills and back in the same day, which would be about 2 hours each way, but usually I will stay the weekend.

Jay

Jay, you're lucky you're a morning person. I sleep heavy and most always wake up feeling groggy. I usually set two alarms if I have something important to do. If I manage to wake up and stumble over to the kitchen and make myself a pot of coffee, I know I'll make the 5AM start at the trailhead...

Ever since I moved to 2nd shift, I haven't hiked nearly as much. Waking up before 10am is a serious chore, and to get to any decent mountains, you need to be gone from Lebanon by 8 or 9am at the latest. In winter, earlier is better since it gets dark so soon. I thought Leb was closer to the Whites, but it really isn't. Its close to Moosilauke (only about an hour), but there is really no direct way to get anywhere from here. Even the Greens are kinda far away, though I don't have much interest in hiking there.

In general its about 30 min closer from Lebanon to all the major hiking destinations I like, compared to where I used to live...Chester. But I have a hard time getting pumped up for hiking these days. Its kind of depressing.

I am attempting to hike Mt Cube this Sunday, and I feel like I'm already looking for excuses to not go...like cold, waking up early, havent hiked in months...etc. I guess I just need to do it. My last hike in the Whites was nice, but I didn't have nearly as much fun as I usually do. I hope I'm not getting burned out.

You can sleep in your car in cold weather, too! It makes it more challenging that way.
I spent one night in the Noonmark Diner (in the Adirondacks) parking lot with the heater on the whole night... But it got down to 10 degrees or so that night, so it was much more comfortable than being in a tent by the trailhead! 8 hours and an 8th a tank of gas later, everything was dry and I set out on my next trip!
:eek: Pretty dangerous. I wouldn't sleep a wink. This is what cheap hotels and expensive sleeping bags are for. I've slept in my truck a couple times (engine off, windows cracked). Not bad in a pinch or a storm, but I prefer my tent.

Bought a house in the Whites.
So we would have a place to sleep.:)

We did the same thing. We've spent one night in the house in five years...
But hey,the tenant is almost done paying for it!:D

Most of our trips are overnight anyways,so it isn't an issue,but even after camping overnight,I'm toasted on the ride home.

Now we're thinking of doing more dayhikes,but there's no way I'm doing the round trip drive on the same day. Might just drop a tent on the Kanc once in a while,along with staying at one of the "value" motels. Hello Bruno!:D

I am so impressed by the users of this forum. I sit here reading trip reports of leaving home in the wee hours, driving several hours from MA, CT, NY VT Canada, etc...doing a traverse, or bagging several peaks, and then driving home way past hiker midnite.
How do you accomplish this?
The monotony of driving would put me right to sleep after such a grueling day!
Please tell! Maybe I can learn something so I can get out there too!
Sandy
I think the crux for me too was always the drive back. The drive up is always filled with pent-up weekday energy and weekend anticipation... plenty to keep me awake.

I have had some less proud moments on drives back, pushing exhaustion pretty far while driving. Caffeine helps, finding songs that motivate me to sing along helps, talking to people helps... but many times on drives back I just had to go into a rest area for a quick (or not) nap.
For rest area napping what I liked to do in the winter would be to blast the heat before going into a rest area, settle in for a nap and turn the car off. Usually when the car started to get cold again it was a good waker-upper and about time to get going. If I had the car running with heat there was no way I'd be getting up in less than an hour... and the longer napping the farther away the home ETA would get.

But yeah, I sacrifice a lot of weekend sleep to do the things I like to do. I just make it up on the weekdays... or at least that's what I tell myself! ;)

I complete sympathize with the question, Sandy... Personally, I couldn't take it anymore... between skiing/hiking/biking and other family-oriented outdoor activities, we literally were driving from the South Shore to the Whites every weekend, which meant the entire family was in the car at least 6 hours every weekend, and we really came to resent Sunday nights and having to go home. Also, we were neglecting most aspects of our "southern life". We were fortunate enough to have the opportunity to move to the mountains full-time a couple years ago, and we leaped at the chance.

These days I have a longer commute but I ride-share with two other guys and try to work at home regularly, so my net time in the car is roughly equal to my Boston commute, and maybe less some weeks. I also get my Sunday nights back (a regular work commute is somehow less painful, knowing I will be back in the hills to sleep), and I am able to fall out the door and ride my bike to a lot of good trailheads, or drive to a lot of the southern / eastern Whites in an hour or less -- then we tend to come home directly after hiking to relax locally (so no driving later).

Bought a house in the Whites.
So we would have a place to sleep.:)

Ditto! Now I live here so travel isn't a problem unless I'm heading to Baxter. I do have to admit that I do feel guilty when I pull into a trailhead to meet people who have been on the road a tad longer than my 20 minute commute.