Trail Bandit Ossipee Mountains (NH) Map - 1st Edition (2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like the UTM grid because the lines aren't running N,S, E, and W so I will add a fine black line grid for the Latitude and longitude. I will use the WGS84 horizontal datum, which is the most common default for the GPS users. This said, if there are any more strong opinions on this topic, I will consider them. This map is for you.

At the scale of your map and our latitude, the UTM grid is square and lined up N/S, E/W (in fact more square than the lat/lon, which is the raison d'etre for the UTM.) See Selecting A Geographic Coordinate System on MapTools.com.

I suspect that WGS 84 is not the datum used for your map references originally. (USGS topo quads are usually NAD 1927, sometimes NAD 1983.) Although WGS84 is the same as NAD 83 in practice for foot travel, you should state and use the actual datum used for the map originally, IMO.

Of course, simply calling it Black Snoot fixes all said problems, but I digress :)
Not at all, unless you get the AMC guide to use that name it will just add more confusion, just like another peak not so far away from here

Compass users (if there are still any) will like magnetic N lines, and the pole won't vary that much during the next few years after which you or somebody else will issue an updated map. I'm not sure there's any purpose in a lat/long grid as I think grid users prefer UTM. Of course both magnetic N lines and UTM grid would make a lot of clutter, I suppose you could add them as layers and post it but I'll bet people won't like it.

I know more colors cost more $$ so I'm not sure how many you need.

At the scale of your map and our latitude, the UTM grid is square and lined up N/S, E/W (in fact more square than the lat/lon, which is the raison d'etre for the UTM.) See Selecting A Geographic Coordinate System on MapTools.com.

I suspect that WGS 84 is not the datum used for your map references originally. (USGS topo quads are usually NAD 1927, sometimes NAD 1983.) Although WGS84 is the same as NAD 83 in practice for foot travel, you should state and use the actual datum used for the map originally, IMO.

Hi Sardog1, The data that I have used to prepare this map came from a number of sources that were in different projections and used different projections. I am putting the map in the horizontal datum WGS 84 as that is what the GPS data was collected in. The elevation contours were only available easily as derived from a digital elevation model. I have manually corrected the contours around hill tops and along streams, where there were obvious errors. The spot elevations for summits are from the old USGS maps. I also have high resolution aerial ortho photos that came in State Plane Coordinates. All the data sources seem to be consistant when corrected for the different projections. I placed the 71D. 16M. longitude line vertical for true north. This of course means that the lines at the right and left tilt in a little bit. I used straight lines for all the longitude lines which is good enough for this effort. All the roads, trails, dashed lines, etc were mapped with my Garmin GPS. Everything is quite accurate and a hiker won't notice any errors. A surveyor might complain. I will stick with my Lat/Lon format as I am comfortable with it. It is what I use in my airplane.

Not at all, unless you get the AMC guide to use that name it will just add more confusion, just like another peak not so far away from here

Compass users (if there are still any) will like magnetic N lines, and the pole won't vary that much during the next few years after which you or somebody else will issue an updated map. I'm not sure there's any purpose in a lat/long grid as I think grid users prefer UTM. Of course both magnetic N lines and UTM grid would make a lot of clutter, I suppose you could add them as layers and post it but I'll bet people won't like it.

I know more colors cost more $$ so I'm not sure how many you need

Hi Roy, The purpose for providing the Lat/Lon grid is so that you can pick out something on the map you want to go to, interpolate the position from the lines, and load the position into your GPS. I realize the same can be done with the UTM grid system. I like having a line (Longitude) that points to true north. The central longitudeline on my map points to true north.
I am printing the map using a 5 color press (C,M,Y,K and a spot color for the contour lines). Although this is not how the USGS does it, I have had good luck in the past. With this approach, I can have as many colors as I want at no extra cost.

Again, this is a matter of user preference. Some of us navigate in true and use compasses with adjustable declination.
Seconded.

I'd prefer true northing lines, but magnetic's fine...just some sort of orienting line, please! Pet peeve of mine.

Bravo, Bandit! The addition of the detailed notes is a nice touch. EDIT: And kudos likewise for the Rocket Man, for this and other favors on his site.

(It's not even morning right now and I hate myself already. ;) )

Last edited:
Dots vs stars for mileage indicators

The map sounds awfully final, but FWIW .... Have you considered using red dots instead of red stars for indicating mileage? Mapadventures and WODC maps use dots. AMC trail maps leave it to your imagination which is not so good. Using red dots will reduce visual clutter and maybe even be easier to print. Less quality control rejections. Besides in future editions you may wish to indicate good viewpoints (There's a lot of them!) with the star symbols the way Map Adventures and WODC do. That would also be consistant with what other widely accepted map publishers like Map Adventures and WODC are doing. Consistancy is good in map making.

Last edited:
Hi Jazzbo, I used the stars because they are what is used on a map I have from the Tucson, AZ area and they look nice. I have seen the dots used but they are usually on the trail junction, as opposed to being beside the junction. I tried it your way originally, but with my red trails, the dots had to be too big to stand out. The printer doesn't care whether there are stars dots, or anything else. It seems to be just so much paper and ink, plus 5 printing plates. Thanks for the input. Next time, after all the faults have been found with this edition, I will do better.

Hi VFTT. Long time no post, but a few people drew my attention to this thread.

One comment on grids: I think it was Roy S. who said "...compass users (if there are any left)...". I think pretty much all people who still depend on a compass for navigation are proficient in setting their compass to adjust for declination. Trail Bandit's north arrows are all anyone should need for this. Too many grids cause clutter and confusion, and they detract from the aesthetics of the map (a good map is not only functional but also pleasing to the eye). Choose one (I prefer one based on true north, but UTM would work fine for the Ossipees) and leave it at that.

My main reason for posting: I'm personally acquainted with a number of Ossipee Mountain landowners and because some of them associate me with trail maintenance and building (I do volunteer work for LRCT as well as other local trail-related organizations), I occasionally get calls whenever unauthorized activity occurs on their property. This can involve clearing or sometimes something as little as strange flagging popping up on their property.

The vast majority of the Ossipees is private land. The vast majority is also open to the public (un-posted) and therefore free for anyone to explore. However, there is a distinction between exploring by individuals and publicly sanctioning specific routes on private property. As a long-time board and committee member of WODC I know we have wrestled with this problem ourselves.

I personally support Trail Bandit's right to map what is "on the ground." All the information sources are publicly available anyway and anyone with marginal competence in map, aerial photography, and GPS skills can collect and use it. However, there are routes marked on Trail Bandit’s map as hiking trails (and indeed they are) that are not official by any means and are open solely at the discretion of the landowner. We, the hiking public, really don’t want to piss off the landowners.

Trail Bandit: I can put you in touch with a land conservation working group that includes landowners and landowner agents who collectively represent a huge chunk of the Ossipee Mountains. They have ideas of how you could improve your map and how you might be able to help them in their planning process. Are you interested? You can email me at [email protected].

I know I could contact Trail Bandit directly but I chose to do it this way because this is an issue that VFTT members should be reminded of on a regular basis. Those of us (myself included) who love to wander beyond the “beaten path,” or seek out the obscure beaten paths, are dependent on the good will of the landowners. The vast majority of landowners -- in this neck of the woods, anyway -- are decent people who are happy to share their property. But it is only natural to be taken aback upon discovering clearing work going on within your boundaries or internet-wide publicity of informal paths. We should all keep this in mind.

We, the hiking public, really don’t want to piss off the landowners.

This map is great. I've been looking for something like it for years.

Like stopher, I know several landowners. In my case, they are small-parcel landowners. Most are happy to share. Some have become unhappy when visitor's behavior become annoying, costly, or burdensome to them. These people worry about liability, damage, and their own safety. I think some would be taken aback to see trails across their property.

It's a fuzzy line that we walk as hikers.

Someone who knows more about conservation tracts than me might be able to make sense of where the borders are with the UNH Granit mapping tool at http://mapper.granit.unh.edu/viewer.jsp

After you hit the URL, switch "Select a Theme" to Land Conservation. Personally, I feel like I'm less likely to encounter an angry landowner in the CL areas, but conservation != public access.

Hi All,
Thank you all for your input. Some of it I used, and some I didn't. The map was printed last Thursday. It has to be trimmed and folded. I should have them in my posession late this week. They look pretty good. I hope that each of you will find errors, so that the second, and last edition, will be perfect.

I just received a copy of the printed version. Real nice. I hope Trail Bandit is taking orders or has a place to sell them.

I hope Trail Bandit is taking orders or has a place to sell them.

I'll try and have details on that soon. I believe you'll be able to order them via snailmail. I also believe the Mountain Wanderer in Lincoln will be carrying them at some point.