Trail Bandit Ossipee Mountains (NH) Map - 1st Edition (2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket21

Reaction score
All:

The Trail Bandit has sent me a draft of the 1st Edition of the Trail Bandit Ossipee Mountains Map. As some of you may know, arrangements have been made to print this map.

New additions to this version:
- Trail names
- Trail segment distances

http://www.franklinsites.com/hikephotos/files/nhtrailbanditossipees.php

The Trail Bandit requests any feedback/suggested changes you may have as he prepares to go to press. Please note that this is the 1st Edition - there are additional trails and logging roads out there that have yet to be mapped.

The legend: "Map Is Not Complete 9-21-2008" at the top might need updating.

Doug

Doug-

You might be looking at one of the archived maps. The most current one is highlighted in yellow and doesn't have that note on the top of it.

Needs a key. Why are some trails red, some geen, some alternating red and green? What are the tiny-rounded-dotted lines and the the longer-dashed lines? (Abandoned and current logging/carriage roads respectively?)

Hi Nartreb,
There will be a legend that explains what the various different types of lines represent. The little dotted lines are for trails, snowmobile trails, and skidder roads that I was able to follow and map with my GPS. They aren't being maintained so you may not enjoy the hike if you go there. The different colors of trails was used so that something like "The High Ridge Trail" can be followed on the map and not be confusing where other trails intersect. The dashed black lines are what I call woods roads. They are either maintained, or are at least clear enough that they are a pleasant hike, but they haven't been given a trail name. In general you could get through in a 4WD, which I hope no one will do.
Thanks for your input. All comments, corrections, and suggestions are requested.

The different colors of trails was used so that something like "The High Ridge Trail" can be followed on the map and not be confusing where other trails intersect.

This wouldn't be feasible for, e.g., the AMC maps and the hug swaths they cover, but is very handy for local maps like this covering a finite tract. Often, the trail color is coordinated with a bold Trail-name in the descriptions, but that takes some trouble and expense.

As Silverfox says, this Map will ease your way to many fine spots - good to see the good work unfold.

The Ossipees are well deserving of a map -- kudos to TB et al who've done a great job at restoring, mapping, and raising awareness of this wonderful area. I'm so impressed by the work that's been done -- we really have a talented as well as dedicated hiking community!

:)

Right on!

Great job!

Would it be possible to add some "P"s to indicate parking areas, such as the one by the bottling plant?

I am not too familiar with the area, so, for example, I would like to know if there is off road parking at the Bald Knob and Shannon Brook trailheads.

Please let us know when the map is printed. And thanks, Trail Bandit, for a great job!

Would it be possible to add some "P"s to indicate parking areas, such as the one by the bottling plant?

I am not too familiar with the area, so, for example, I would like to know if there is off road parking at the Bald Knob and Shannon Brook trailheads.

Good point...a lot of the parking around the range is informal and roadside. To answer your question though, there is formal hiker parking (plowed too) at the bottom of Shannon Brook and at the castle gate adjacent to the Bottling Plant.

On Route 171 Bald Knob Trail, the plows have been pushing back snowbanks enough to fit a few vehicles.

Route 171 Mt. Shaw Trail, there is an informal, unplowed off-road parking area.

Boy, I hate myself in the morning every time I do this. ;)

From a previous thread on the Ossipees:

Put the new map in front of you. Locate White Brook (SW of Conner Pond) and see how a trail lying to the south and east of the brook wraps around the SE end of a small unnamed beaver pond. Follow that trail back to the northeast until it meets a road spur. That spur is Bean Mountain Road in Center Ossipee, which you can find named on Mapquest and unnamed in Delorme's NH Atlas and Gazetteer. The trailhead has parking room for a few cars. The trail is on land owned by Chocorua Forestlands, LLC. It's a snowmobile trail and does see a lot of sled traffic on weekends. There is also a fair bit of hunting near the trail for bear, moose, and deer in their respective fall seasons, so keep that in mind later this year.

There are multiple old logging roads running down to this trail from the highlands to the southeast. The skiing and snowshoeing is fabulous on these old roads and on the ones running down from the upper reaches of Lovell River and White Brook. No, it's not Tuckerman Ravine or even the Sherburne Ski Trail -- it's XC, fer cryin' out loud. Edges are a plus but not a necessity.

EDIT: The brooks running down the hillsides and across some of the logging roads/trails might prove troublesome at times. We haven't had sufficient snow to cover them adequately. Don't ski rapidly down something that you haven't skied up first, unless you can stop as well as freedan recounted in his excellent Cascade 1/10 trip report.

Last edited:
I took a quick look at this version. Very nice. I’m not too fond of all the colors though. I’ll look at it more later on as I have time.

Just to update - I recently met and talked to the new Castle trails property adopter and was told that they received funding to do a new map ‘AMC style’ (Larry Garland was named) along with a booklet of the trails on the Castle property. This is due in the spring. He was also complimentary of the work and mapping being done by Trail Bandit.

Thanks for the feedback. I have added a (P) symbol, that will be explained in the legend to show parking locations at: The west end of the Bean Mountain Road, at the bottling plant, and along Rt 171 at the Shannon Brook trail, Bald Knob Trail, and the Mt Shaw Trail. Also marked are the junction of Canaan Rd. and McDuffee Rds as the land owners don't like it if you park up McDuffee Rd., and at the beginning of the Sentinel Mtn Trail as the landowner requests that people park up the side road by the gate and not on the main road. Don't block the gate. I don't have room for any trail descriptions or instructions unless I print on the back of the map which involves more printing plates. If the readers of this think that is worthwhile, it can be done. Note, the map is 27" X 36". Also, if you print on the back, it tends to show through on the front side a little. I was leaning toward the USGS topo map style. "This is what is out there". I didn't show buildings on the map. I can but it starts to look too busy.

Oooh, this will be quite useful for not getting lost in the Ossipees! Thank you so much TB! The O-10 list finishers is going to go through the roof!

It would be great to be able to get this map in a printed version. I can't quite figure the trick of being able to print it from the computer into a size big enough to be useful.

Hi BobC, The map will be printed! The scale is the 1:24,000 scale used on the USGS 7.5 min. maps. The finished size is 27" X 36", and it will be water proof and "almost" tearproof.

What about making the colors of the trails on the map match the color of the blazes the trail is marked with? Another nice feature would be marking where there are views. Initially I thought that was what the stars were, then realized they marked the ends of mileage segments.

It's a great upgrade. I've sent copies of the prior maps to the Ossipee-uninitiated and they were overwhelmed by the maze without trail names. I can't wait for the printed version but, in the meantime, the download to my iTouch works fine out in the field.
Thanks to you, TB!

When we went by the lot off Shannon Brook it was taken over by snowmobilers and the trail itself seemed to be well travelled by them. We parked up the road at the plant and encountered none.

Great map! I haven't explored enough of this beautiful area but plan to soon.