after-hike hang-outs in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In NoWoodstock, you might be thinking of Woodstock Station, which I know is a default choice for a lot of us. Excellent house-brewed beer (try the Pigs Ear Brown or Old Man Stout) and a remarkably eclectic menu, most of which is pretty darned good.

Over on the North Conway side, there are some excellent options

* Moat Mountain Brewing / Smokehouse (good food, better microbrew beer)

* Red Parka Pub (good food, classic apres-ski attitude, fun place, right at junction of 16 and 2, so great coming back from Pinkham Notch)

* Delaney's Hole in the Wall (my entire family is unaccountably fond of this place, probably because of the improbable combination of sushi, Guinness, and funky atmosphere in MWV)

There have been several good threads on post-hiking hangouts, including this one: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17324&highlight=Woodstock+Station

Just hangin out

In the Lakes Region, coming down the 93 side

Hard to beat Common Man Ashland...upstairs

frequently run into hiker groups there

Close to 93, on the way home for many heading south

just the right mixture of protein and carbs....

Bartlett-Intervale area:

Margarita Grill (302)
Red Parka (302/16)
RedFox (16 in Jackson)

DrewKnight, BlackBuffalo and Silverfox, thank you! I will peruse that link, DrewKnight, muchas gracias.

Last edited:
In North Woodstock there's also Truants, basically across the street from Woodstock Station.

Places I've often gone with folk aprés-hike, with an emphasis on being likely to also encounter hikers/climbers/skiers (ie, I've been to many other, some better, places, but they're not post-hike hangouts):

Mr. Pizza, Gorham
Northland Dairy Bar, Berlin
Woodstock Station, North Woodstock
The Common Man, the bar upstairs has good food and comfy couches, Ashland
The Shannon Door, Irish pub in Jackson
Moat Mountain Smokehouse and Brewing, brew pub and bbq, North Conway
Yankee Smokehouse, bbq, West Ossipee

and of course, who doesn't stop in at The Mountain Wanderer in Lincoln?

The Common Man in Lincoln is also a great place - Huge roaring fire + couches right at the front... excellent after a long day out in the cold! :p

I Liked Truant's Tavern in No Woodstock when I was there this past summer. They had an awesome summer salad...

Jay

Our group liked the food at Truants as well on a couple of trips back from Vermont this summer..Nice outside dining,,variety of food..I forget about the beer there..

Seemed like a place where the locals go..they looked at us kinda funny....:)

I don't think Truants is that great. The menu is boring.

In Lincoln/Woodstock area:
Common Man
Woodstock Station (my usual)

In North Conway:
The Moat (my usual)
Flatbread
Bearly There

In Bartlett/Jackson:
Margarita Grill
Red Parka
Spaghetti Shed (in summer... not a pub but still awesome)

In Berlin/Gorham:
Crabby Jack's (my fav)
Chinese Buffet place near Hiker's Paradise (formerly Fortune Cookie)
Mr Pizza

On the way home (down 93):
Plymouth Common Man (my fav)
Ashland Common Man
Rossi's (exit 23, good if using the P&R)

Red Fox Rt 16 Jackson, NH

Keep driving by that one, and have seen their menu in the local Menu Browser paper thingie... how is it? It looks really good...

The Red Fox is a great place to eat!!

The Pizza is the best in town AND TUE is 2-1 Pizza Night. They open at 4 PM. And they will do it to go! Not just the best Pizza in town, but on TUE, the best deal in town!!

If you are looking for a BIG breakfast, SUN "All You Can Eat" buffet is as good as it gets for $7.95.

Keep driving by that one, and have seen their menu in the local Menu Browser paper thingie... how is it? It looks really good...

Been there a couple times over the years. It's big place, it'll seat a lot of people. I've had burgers and brick oven pizzas there (usually what I crave on vacation). Fantastic!!

After hike food

No hikers here, but I'm a sucker for chinese food. I love the Chieng Garden in Lincoln. Better chinese food than I can get around here.

No hikers here, either, but when staying in the Gorham area we always hit Mary's on Cascade Flats. Just a little hole in the wall, but they've been there since 1947, (yes, slightly longer than I've been around.) Awesome Pizza, pasta, subs etc. They serve beer and wine. No atmosphere, but excellent food. Best I've had in that area.

KDT

The two best places to hang out in the N. Conway area:

Up Country (next to the Mobil station). Thursday is karaoke night.

May Kelly's (next to, and way better than, Delaney's). Irish music Friday night.

Popular with locals.