after-hike hang-outs in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like CJ's Penalty Box in Lincoln (basement of the Kanc Motor Lodge). Great pub food, reasonable draft beer selection, and a very locally flavored crowd. One warning; don't tick off the bartender, you could die of thirst.

I really like CJ's Penalty Box in Lincoln (basement of the Kanc Motor Lodge). Great pub food, reasonable draft beer selection, and a very locally flavored crowd. One warning; don't tick off the bartender, you could die of thirst.

What is a "very locally flavored crowd," if I may ask? (I want to make sure I live up to our ethnographic rep. :))

If you're heading home north or north/west, you might find some hikers--and skiers for sure--at Above the Notch (Cannon Mountain View Motel) on NH 18 in Franconia; it has great pizza.

on a related note..

Adding in a post hike - pre drive home favorite of mine:
Half Baked and Fully Brewed in Lincoln; coffee, soup and yummy brocoli salad
(cash only)

And for those mornings in the mountains when the hikes don't happen:
The Moonlight Cafe in Gorham

ditto on Moat, Common Man.

Last edited:
Just my opinion =)

EASTERN WHITES
Flatbread - 9/10
Moat Mtn Brewery - 9/10
Red Fox - 7/10
Muddy Moose - 5/10
Yankee Smokehouse= 4/10
Delaney's Hole in the Wall = 8/10
Almost There (Burger Joint) = 6/10
Cafe Noche - 7/10
Fabyan's - 7/10

WESTERN WHITES
Woodstock Station - 7.5/10
Common Man, Upstairs (Ashland) - 9/10 (but very, very slow)
Bill & Bob's Roast Beef - 5/10
Sunny Day Diner - 5/10
Mad River Tavern - 8/10
Tilton Diner - 7.5/10
Gordi's Fish & Steak House - 5/10
Mooseland Grill (R.I.P) - 7.5/10

On the List to Try:
Pizza Barn
Horsefeathers
Red Parka
Fratellos
Common Man (Lincoln)

Last edited:
What is a "very locally flavored crowd," if I may ask? (I want to make sure I live up to our ethnographic rep. :))

Very simple; there are a fair amount of patrons who live in the area. Nothing more, nothing less.

Wow...a 9/10 for Moat Mtn Brewery? I didn't know it was so well liked. I think I've been in there 3 times and will never willingly choose to return. I thought the service at the bar was rude and unhelpful, the beers quite lousy...too cold, no head on them at all, uninspiring taste. TVs on all over the place playing sports events loudly, including commercials. Don't know about the food. Just watched others eat in my general area. Looks like typical pub food.

I actually feel the same way about Woodstock Station. Except that's more to do with the fact that the place is like a never ending warren of restaurant expansion. It's just too crowded in there for me and too big.

I don't mean to be so negative, just wanted to add my differing opinion to the pile.

Haven't had a chance to check out the Common Man, but I'm curious to try it some time and see if it's more my style. Seems hard to argue with couches and fireplaces...even if the service is slow.

I really like the Indian Restaurant in North Conway. Is it called Shalimar? Not really a "hiker" hang out, but if you like Indian food, it's very yummy!

Wish there were some places more like The Alchemist in Waterbury, VT or a place to get a beer like McNeills Brewery in Brattleboro, VT or something like the American Flatbread restaurants. Places with no TVs, creative food and really, really good beer. I haven't found a post hike place in NH that I really look forward too.

I'll second the thumbs up for the Indian Place in No Co.

I will also second the thumbs down for the Woodstock -- noisy, poor service, long waits, food is sub par.

I've had good experiences at the Moat, have always been seated -- have never eaten at the bar. Love thier Hefeweisen!

I like the Common Man in Ashland alot. Good beer, good service, good food -I have only eaten upstairs; never in the dining room - and who can argue with sofas and FREE cheese and crackers??!!!

But in all honesty, with a three hour ride home and usually a finish after dark -- I am usually cramming half of a stale sandwich from my pack and stopping at one of NH's fine Irving Stations for coffee and chips.

Just my opinion =)

Moat Mtn Brewery - 9/10

Yankee Smokehouse= 4/10

I admire the specificity of your responses, but this jumped out. De gustibus non disputandum, but if your focus is on the ribs (vs. other entrees, side-dishes, beer and other libations, etc, where Moat smokes the Smokehouse,), the Pighouse wins in a canter. They keep their down-South hickory smoke-pit going all the time, as dawn travelers up Rte. 16 can observe, and there's no substitute for that. Also, there is a 100% genuine Harley/trailer park vibe to the Pighouse that Moat will never approach. Sweaty hikers fit right in.

Don't bother with Pizza Barn unless you've got kids you need to pacify. Horse Feathers can be good if not crowded, which is hardly ever when I've gone.

I admire the specificity of your responses, but this jumped out. De gustibus non disputandum, but if your focus is on the ribs (vs. other entrees, side-dishes, beer and other libations, etc, where Moat smokes the Smokehouse,), the Pighouse wins in a canter. They keep their down-South hickory smoke-pit going all the time, as dawn travelers up Rte. 16 can observe, and there's no substitute for that. Also, there is a 100% genuine Harley/trailer park vibe to the Pighouse that Moat will never approach. Sweaty hikers fit right in.

Don't bother with Pizza Barn unless you've got kids you need to pacify. Horse Feathers can be good if not crowded, which is hardly ever when I've gone.

:D This is one of the best posts I've read here. De gustibus non disputandum ! De gustibus non disputandum est, no ?
Regardless. I will check out the Pighouse next time I'm there. Thanks Amicus !

No hikers here, either, but when staying in the Gorham area we always hit Mary's on Cascade Flats. Just a little hole in the wall, but they've been there since 1947, (yes, slightly longer than I've been around.) Awesome Pizza, pasta, subs etc. They serve beer and wine. No atmosphere, but excellent food. Best I've had in that area.

KDT

Man, you really pulled that one out KDT! Mary's was always our favorite when I lived up there. Good call. Their loaded pizza was great, and it was the only pizza I ever tried with anchovies on it.
We are also big Common Man in Lincoln fans. We've rolled it lookin gruff, sweaty, and dirty but never felt out of place or treated indifferently.

De gustibus non disputandum est, no ?

Not necessarily, anyway.
N.B. The verb esse is often left out in the passive periphrastic.
-D. Cramer on Gerunds and gerundives

Omitting it sounds more idiomatic to me, esp. with proverbs like this.

I love anchovy pizza (which is usually the "everything but.." omission), so will seek out Mary's when hungry in Gorham.

I've always wanted to try to Spaghetti Shed on 302 near Bartlett...anyone tried it??

As I mentioned, Spaghetti Shed is good though only open in summer. Quality and quantity.

Woodstock Station is good and if you, like me, go down to the bar, the service is good too. The food and brews are top notch.

I like the Plymouth Common Man better than the Ashland one for atmosphere, though I stop at both. The Tilton Diner? It's good, but I might as well go home it's so close to Manch Angeles!

Another notable mention is Yokohama in Gorham. Very, very good.

I really appreciate all the comments regarding the atmosphere, cuisine, and customer service of establishments. I don't like huge crowds and I have zero patience for rude bartenders (there's a difference between very busy and rude, the former I understand and the latter means I leave).

Much to absorb, and many lovely places to try -- thanks!

FYI on Marys Pizza, Great Pizza, no beer. Best way to describe it is a 50's diner installed in the first floor of a house. To find it, Drive up Rt 16 past the car dealerships and Wally world, then turn right on Cascade Flats road that runs down to a row of houses along the river, drive almost to the papermill and look on your left (the parking lot for the mill is right behind it). If you miss the first turn off for Cascade Flats road, just turn right at the next street at the Fraser Papers sign and drive pas the papermil and look to your right.

In keeping with local places post hike,

Northland Dairy Bar in Berlin - Great Menu and dessert plus a liquor license. Mostly families and elderly but the food makes it worth it. Take Rt 16 completely through town go past the Heritage Park (logging camp ) and go up about 1/2 mile past the next bridge. Since you are already up there, go about a mile or so up north on 16 and keep and eye out for Cates Hill Road on the left. Go steeply up a hill and come out on top of Cates Hill. Be prepared to get blown away from the views of the Mahoosucs, Northern Whites and the Kilkennys. Follow the road back down the hill and eventually it will connect up with Rt 110 which leads back to Rt 16

There is new Pizza place in Gorham on Rt 16 just past the traffic light at the split between Rt 2 west and Rt 16 north. I havent tried it yet

Last edited:
Wow...a 9/10 for Moat Mtn Brewery? I didn't know it was so well liked.

FYI - My rating was solely based on atmosphere, their beer, their burgers and their amazing spicy cajun french fries. I haven't tried much of anything else :rolleyes:

As far as Yankee Smokehouse goes, I thought that was some of the worst quality BBQ I've ever had. I did like the biker atmosphere, and the service and sides were pretty darn good, but I've had way better BBQ in New England (i.e. Bubs, Blue Ribbon, Firefly's, Texas Roadhouse, Uncle Pete's, etc.)

Last edited:
We have frequented the Yankee Smokehouse for years, as we used to have a house on Ossipee Lake. However, we always referred to it as "The Pig Place". In my opinion, the quality has steadily dropped through time, or maybe I am getting fussier.

(Oh, yes, leaving out the "est" triggered my editorial response also)

And further...I had the OILIEST Pizza in my life at Pizza Barn

Last edited: