Jan. 16 cold thread

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cold here also, in the Montreal area, it is -20F here now.
I was supposed to go hiking today, and I decided to stay home. :(

It's apparently -25 just south of the Sandwich Range now, with the sun being up for an hour and a half. Apparently it didn't get much colder than that. It was in the negative single digits when I was driving home last night around 6 PM.

Pretty nippy up here in Quebec. Yesterday we went for a hike north of Montreal from 10 to 3. We wore Sorels with thick felt liners and not that much on top (base layer shirt and Torch softshell only for me) The blue sky and sunlit snow were a photographer's dream come true. On the exposed summit of the little mountain we climbed there was no wind and we sat with our backs against a black rock facing the sun. The snow on my black gaitors was melting.

Hit -26 here in Lebanon. Clayton Lake Maine was -43. Island Pond VT was about -43. I think Berlin NH hit -39 or -40. Here is an interesting one.

"At 0730 am EST this morning a USGS gage at Big Black River recorded
a low temperature of -50f. This exceeds the current statewide
record low temperature of -48f set on January 19th... 1925 at Van
Buren. This report is considered unofficial until a review of the
equipment and data by the state climate exteremes committee as to
the validity of this report. If the committee ascertains that this
is indeed a valid report... a separate public information statement
will be issued at that time."

Negative 27.5 when I took the dogs outside this morning. Had to carry the little one out (he's the smart one), the big one is too dumb to know its cold out.

Negative 27.5 when I took the dogs outside this morning. Had to carry the little one out (he's the smart one), the big one is too dumb to know its cold out.

HAHAHAHA I know what you mean. We have a Blue Tic Coon Hound and he has no care in the world. The other one is a Miniature Dachshund. He hates the cold :D

"In the United States, the lowest temperature on record,–79.8°F, was recorded on January 23, 1971, at Prospect Creek Camp, which is located in the Endicott Mountains of Northern Alaska at latitude 66° 48′N, longitude 150° 40′W. The lowest temperature in the contiguous 48 states,–69.7°F, occurred on January 20, 1954, at Rogers Pass, in Lewis and Clark County, Montana. This location is in mountainous and heavily forested terrain, about 0.5 mi east of and 140 ft below the summit of the Continental Divide."

I'm doubtful of -60 at Jackson, but hey, who knows.

Source:
Weatherexplained.com

"In the United States, the lowest temperature on record,–79.8°F, was recorded on January 23, 1971, at Prospect Creek Camp, which is located in the Endicott Mountains of Northern Alaska at latitude 66° 48′N, longitude 150° 40′W. The lowest temperature in the contiguous 48 states,–69.7°F, occurred on January 20, 1954, at Rogers Pass, in Lewis and Clark County, Montana. This location is in mountainous and heavily forested terrain, about 0.5 mi east of and 140 ft below the summit of the Continental Divide."

I'm doubtful of -60 at Jackson, but hey, who knows.

Source:
Weatherexplained.com

Yes, I was too, but hey, I was the tourist this time, they were the locals so I did not question it.

However, the WY state low is -66F at Moran in 1933.

State record lows (F in left-hand column):

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0113527.html

Interesting, all of the 48 contiguous have seen temps below 0F, even FL at 193' elevation, although the coldest air often slides down into valleys. Only HI has a record low above 0.

(Is this a reliable source?)

Last edited: