Your Expertise

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your expertise and background?

• Total voters

Puck

Reaction score
VFTT has two major strengths; many eyes and feet for the trip reports and the amount of experience and expertise. Of course the generosity to share both is paramount. The expertise is both lay and professional, pastime and career.

There are; SAR and first responders, technical experts for kayaks, rock and ice climbing, mountaineering, BC skiing, and photographers. There are natural scientists for birds, astronomy, and ecology. There are experts in tracking. And on and on.

Perhaps this thread can serve as an index, a ‘VFTT Who’s Who.’ What is your area of expertise and how did you get your background.

The topic headings can not cover everything so post and explain away.

Last edited:
I'll start

I will get my SOLO WF training next weekend. I am a Masters candidate in Ecology. I am involved in a lot of bird census citizen science. Other then that I know just enough to be dangerous

I'll start

Other then that I know just enough to be dangerous

Similar thought, my field of expertise is nothing, but it has taken me many years and a lot of experience to get this far.:)

Does this mean an option can be "Other" with the opportunity to explain?

None of the above.

Guess I just don't fit in. (sigh)

G.

Had to vote for "could be a guide",but I never really wanted the job.
I don't wanna drag people up and down the same stretch of water every weekend,for short money.
I got offered a job to guide,but left it at" if someone breaks a leg call me to fill in."
Can't wait to start the kayak guide job I really want-Out Island Adventures in Exuma! Soon....very soon...

Hmmm.... I like to be outside, hike, walk and enjoy fresh air and sweeping vistas.

I must be unqualified, though I've been taking this course since I was old enough to walk. I still cheat when identifying alpine plants by sneaking peeks at a guide book.

Maybe I inherited something from my family, a few who appear in local history books and lived on one of these mountains. I'll use that as my claim to fame!

Just kidding - I'll stick with "Guy who wants to see the view from up there" and Hack Photographer :D

I used to be an EMT and involved with local search and rescue. Since kids came along, all I do now is go for fun hikes in the woods and put band-aids on scratches. The latter causes much less stress and anxiety. :)

Smitty

May real world expertise may not be that great, but my on-trail skills are quite impressive:

I know how to provide a taco dinner to multiple thru-hikers

I know how to transport 15 quarts of ice cream and the whole fixings for an ice cream party above treeline

The nuances of keeping ice cream sandwiches edible for distribution to thru-hikers across the AT.

Providing a full cooked breakfast of French Toast, bacon and sausage for 40+ people staying at Lonesome Lake or Carter Notch hut.

:D

Brian

/QUOTE]I know how to transport 15 quarts of ice cream and the whole fixings for an ice cream party above treeline

I wanna hike with you!!!
I don't qualify for anything. I do know how to eat, though:D
Sandy

I could be useful as a "citizen scientist/naturalist volunteer". I unofficially minored in natural sciences and I spend alot of time out there observing all I can, and I cover alot of ground off-trail. Observing and learning is actually the focus of my hiking. I could be trained as an observer for any particular study.

I could be useful as a "citizen scientist/naturalist volunteer". I unofficially minored in natural sciences and I spend alot of time out there observing all I can, and I cover alot of ground off-trail. Observing and learning is actually the focus of my hiking. I could be trained as an observer for any particular study.

I bet people would pay you to take them on a photo safari for moose ;)

Professional naturalist, teacher, plus informal canoeing and kayaking instructor with wilderness first aid and CPR certs. I have done a lot in the field, do a lot of different things in my current position, and have never gotten paid much for any of it. I do LOVE it, though. :D

New Hampshire...I don't think there is a caterer alive that could match that ice cream logistic challenge.

So where are all of the botonist, rock hounds, historians dutch oven experts???

Don't sell yourselves short.