Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: You bring cake, I'll bring steak! 2-22-09

Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook

You bring cake, I'll bring steak! 2-22-09

Just kidding! Although you all know I would love to get a good bonfire going on top and cook up some decent steak! Guess we’ll have to save that for a more suitable time and location!

The Plan!

For a couple of years now I have been planning to celebrate my 48th birthday in style with my friends and family by finishing the NH48 on Cannon. Those unable to hike can take the tram, those wishing to ski down or swiss-bob as I did last year, go ahead. It’s a blast and will peak your adrenaline!

The Date!

Sunday February 22nd,2009 with no rain or snow date planned. I will hike in either and dress accordingly but will dance for blue skies. Just kidding again, can’t dance but would conjure up a good Irish jig if I could and it would help!

The Time!

8am plus or minus a few. This should allow for anyone that hikes slow or takes ample time to enjoy the path to get down by dark or not if they like. You are welcome to start earlier or later if you wish.

The Trail!

Choose whatever you like! I will go up by Lonesome Lake and down by Kinsman Ridge unless the weather is poor enough to demand going back down by Lonesome Lake. May take time for North East Cannonball but not a priority.

The Goal!

To have a great time with great people and enjoy the path! My journey has allowed me to become acquainted with many diverse and wonderful people for which I am forever thankful! I just wish to extend an invitation to all of you to enjoy the close of this small chapter and that also includes those who wish to cross paths. Thanks especially to those who helped me realize so much fun on this journey and hope to see you there!

PS – Please don’t all bring cake because bears tend to roll down hill if they get going too fast!!!
    Last edited by Dave Bear; 01-16-2009 at 08:59 PM.
    The heart of the journey is in the path not the peak!

Dave, I'll be there.
    unless, it snows back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bear View Post
    PS – Please don’t all bring cake because bears tend to roll down hill if they get going too fast!!!
    Brutus Rooney got a cake with 48 candles when he finished all in one winter season on Cannon, 6 March 2005.
    Last edited by Dr. Dasypodidae; 01-16-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dasypodidae View Post
    Brutus Rooney got a cake with 48 candles when he finished all in one winter season on Cannon, 6 March 2005.
    Doc, I often wondered if the big fella did any glissading down the slopes. The cake and the trip down would have been a sight to see. Sorry I missed that but glad I can keep up the tradition! My uncle had a big St Benard that was a laugh a minute out in the snow. Emo was certainly capable of bringing up a keg but we never brought him to task!
    Last edited by Dave Bear; 01-17-2009 at 06:12 AM.

Barring having to work that weekend, I will plan on being there!!
    ADK 46'r NE115'r NEHH NH 48 x 6 NH48W NH 331/576
    Terra NH 48 x 6+ ~93/100 NEHH ~ ADK 35/46 ~RIP~
    Pemi NH4K~ Gem NH4K

assuming my injury allows - I will try and come dave

Will hike up with you for sure but will ski down.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSunRa View Post
    Will hike up with you for sure but will ski down.
    Excellent idea, Smithers.
    Count me in!
    ADK 46'r NE115'r NEHH NH 48 x 6 NH48W NH 331/576
    Terra NH 48 x 6+ ~93/100 NEHH ~ ADK 35/46 ~RIP~
    Pemi NH4K~ Gem NH4K

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bear View Post

Sunday February 22nd,2009 with no rain or snow date planned. I will hike in either and dress accordingly but will dance for blue skies. Just kidding again, can’t dance but would conjure up a good Irish jig if I could and it would help!
    You need a "Weather Prayer." See "Patton," (screenplay co-written by mad genius Francis Ford Coppola, before "The Godfather").

====================================

Chaplain: You wanted to see me, general?

Lt. General George S. Patton, Cdr., US Third Army, ETO: Oh, yeah, chaplain. I'm tired of Third Army having to fight the Germans, Supreme Command, no gasoline, and now this ungodly weather. I want a prayer, a weather prayer.

C: A "weather prayer," sir?

GSP: Yes, let's see if we can't get God working with us.

C: Gonna take a pretty thick rug for that kind of praying.

GSP: I don't care if it takes a flying carpet.

C: I don't know how this will be received, general: Praying for good weather so we can kill our fellow man?

GSP: I assure you, because of my intimate relations with the Almighty, if you write a good prayer, we'll have good weather.

And I expect that prayer within an hour.

C: Yes, sir.

[Next day, as allied planes cross the sky...]

GSP: Weather's perfect. Cod, get me that chaplain. He's in good with the Lord and I want him decorated.

==========================

Good luck, happy birthday, and best wishes for the 48th!

You can't get steak, but if you time it right (not noon rush) you can get burgers at the lodge at the top of the Tram!

I'll be there, most likely skiing the ski area until I get a call from my spy that you're near the summit, then I'll unclip and meet you at the top.

On your descent, make sure to take the side path out to the ledges for the most extraordinary view of Franconia Ridge and Lafayette.
    Last edited by MichaelJ; 01-19-2009 at 06:33 AM.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Got the date saved dave, the only thing(s) that will stop me are work or a snow storm!

Maybe, just maybe Davebear. Does sound kinda like a replay of the Brutus (another bearlike critter) finish actually. We had cake, he had cake and steak...

Don't remember if he did the glissade. I do remember skiers coming at us head on as we hiked up through the woods though. That was exciting....
    Last edited by Nif; 01-27-2009 at 12:53 PM.

I'm planning on being there Dave...I'll have better treats then I left in your tent, I promise!!
    You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well. ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    -Gandhi

Dave, congrats in advance!

I'm also really hoping to make it, but depends on how cooperative my stress fractured leg is feeling that week. That and I try to avoid hiking in 33 degree rain downpours, so let's hope for amazing weather =)

It'll be a treat just to get together with everyone! Here's hoping for a beautiful day, lots of smiles and everyone healthy, healed and having fun! Looking forward to this!!!