You bring cake, I'll bring steak! 2-22-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
will be there. sometime
will be going up some trail (not sure yet)
will be staying somewhere saturday evening, not sure yet.

I agree with that! I especially like leaning my snowshoes up against a ski rack adjacent to large skis. Or the looks I get when I walk into the lodge with an ice axe strapped to my pack.

you should just tell them the truth - its an insignificant walk-up peak that can be hiked in 2 to 3 hours... and pretty much anyone that wants to do it - could :D

now if you came up the dike or fafnir to the top - different story....;)

see you dudes sunday.

The best thing about stopping at the lodge is the looks you get from people as you walk in with backpacks and hiking gear. Almost as good as the people you sometimes run into at some of the lookouts before you get to the lodge.

Here's one conversation I had the first time I did Cannon:

Tourist: "Did you hike up here?"

Me: "Yes I did"

Tourist: "All the way from the bottom?"

:D

I can relate. I got the exact same thing at the exact same location.

I can relate. I got the exact same thing at the exact same location.

Me too!
I had just arrived on the summit from the Kinsman Ridge Trail off the Cannonballs, all grimy and muddy, and this well dressed couple on the loop trail gave me a disgusted look and asked where I came from...I told them Lonesome Lake, and they asked 'where's that'?...Then they told me I could have saved myself all the trouble and taken the Tram..:p
People are funny.:p

I stepped off the summit, and turned to walk to the restaurant, when a guy with two little kids asked me, "Are you going to 'the summit' now?"

FYI, I'm going to be tramming it up with my family on Sunday. Works out better that day logistics-wise with the car. Wish we could hike down with everyone but Alex is still a bit congested and I don't think she's ready to get back out there yet.

We look forward to seeing everyone at the top!

I'll be trammin' my way to the top. Entertained the idea of trying to walk down, but got a big gust in my face in my driveway and was coughing for 10 minutes, so I'll be trammin' on down too.

Did it miss it somewhere, what is the expected summit time?

Jen

Dave ,
You mentioned this trip to me almost a year ago, And I really want to make it.
However, as you know, I push snow for a living.:(
It does'nt look good for me at this point.
If the weather shifts in the next 24 hrs. I will be there.
If not, Have an excellent B-day and I will hoist one in your general direction!:)

FWIW, the weather looks to have shifted a bit -- now the snow's supposed to develop in the afternoon.

Will probably be a nice and calm hike up with perhaps some flakes coming down on the descent.

Congrats in advance, Dave Bear!

Your big day is just one more night's slumber away!:D:):D

I'm sure you are busy packing the final barbecue fixin's in your sled as I write this!

Happy Birthday and I look forward to reading your report and seeing your pictures -- its the next best thing to being there -- I really wish I could have made it!

Yipee, I am coming!! I'll be tramming it and won't be able to get over to summit but will see everyone in the hut!! :D

I found a ride who was willing to drive me up & back!! Thanks Dave!! :)

For selfish reasons, I will not be attending, however, I wish you the best of luck and of course, congratulations!

I am sorry to have to do this, but given the severity of the impending storm, we're going to have to cancel as well. It looks like it's going to be dangerous driving this afternoon and tonight.

I wish you well, Dave -- congrats!!!

Dave, wishing you the very best. Would have love to be with you and all at the top. However, my daughter needed my assistance today.

Happy B-day