Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: You bring cake, I'll bring steak! 2-22-09

Lonesome Lake, up and back. Hoping to make it to the trailhead by 8am but it'll probably end up being 9 since my friend is joining me and seems to think that getting up at 5am on Sunday to go hiking is odd or something...I think he's the weirdo

Hopefully we'll at least arrive at the summit while everybody's up there. Congrats in advance Dave!

If anyone could perhaps give me a ride to this, please pm me. I'd like to join DaveBear and company at the Lonesome Lake trailhead and start with them (8am).

My family would like to come up the tram, and I want to hike....and our family shares a car. If I take the car in the morning then they can't get there later.

If anyone can help me out, please let me know.

You'd be picking me up in Campton, about 4 miles off exit 28 (I-93).
    [B][SIZE=3]Patricia Ellis Herr (TRISH...ALEX...SAGE)

Those who say it cannot be done should get out of the way of those doing it. --Chinese proverb.

For more info about The Terrifying 25, contact me at patriciaellisherr@hotmail.com or search for The Terrifying 25 on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by UNFROZENCAVEMAN View Post
    Thinking about banging the Kinsmans in the morning then over the Balls to catch up with the party around 1:00 - the summit lodge sells beer I hear.....

Any takers???
    thought your doc said no more than 5 mile hikes? i think that may put you past the 5 mile mark!

If I can get out of bed Sunday morning (assuming I make it to it Saturday night!), I may try to be up there. In the very least, the idea of overpriced, fried food at the summit may be enough to motivate my broken body to climb!

Quote Originally Posted by rocket21 View Post
    In the very least, the idea of overpriced, fried food at the summit may be enough to motivate my broken body to climb!
    SKip the food and just go for the hot buttered rum at the bar. Just one sent my head on a nice little fuzzy vacation a few weeks ago. However, I'm getting old so maybe my tolerance just isn't what it used to be.

Those who say it cannot be done should get out of the way of those doing it. --Chinese proverb.

For more info about The Terrifying 25, contact me at patriciaellisherr@hotmail.com or search for The Terrifying 25 on Facebook.

Is there really a summit lodge on Cannon, or is this a massive joke to which I've easily fallen into?

Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
    Is there really a summit lodge on Cannon, or is this a massive joke to which I've easily fallen into?
    No joke.

At the top of the Tramway, which ends a few dozen vertical feet below the summit, there's a lodge with a cafeteria, restrooms, and booze.

Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper View Post
    Nope, it's there, open, and with a nice little bar.

A few weeks ago, my family walked over to the summit from the mountaintop lodge and found three very happy, extremely loaded skiers. They tried to make pleasant conversation, slurring away at us gleefully with their eyes looking about in every direction. My husband and I tried to converse with a straight face, it was very difficult not to burst out laughing. They were sweet guys, but I haven't seen anyone that drunk in a really long time.

I'm assuming they got down in one piece.

The best thing about stopping at the lodge is the looks you get from people as you walk in with backpacks and hiking gear. Almost as good as the people you sometimes run into at some of the lookouts before you get to the lodge.

Here's one conversation I had the first time I did Cannon:

Tourist: "Did you hike up here?"

Me: "Yes I did"

Tourist: "All the way from the bottom?"

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    The best thing about stopping at the lodge is the looks you get from people as you walk in with backpacks and hiking gear. Almost as good as the people you sometimes run into at some of the lookouts before you get to the lodge.
    I agree with that! I especially like leaning my snowshoes up against a ski rack adjacent to large skis. Or the looks I get when I walk into the lodge with an ice axe strapped to my pack.

will be there. sometime
    will be going up some trail (not sure yet)
    will be staying somewhere saturday evening, not sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket21 View Post
    I agree with that! I especially like leaning my snowshoes up against a ski rack adjacent to large skis. Or the looks I get when I walk into the lodge with an ice axe strapped to my pack.
    you should just tell them the truth - its an insignificant walk-up peak that can be hiked in 2 to 3 hours... and pretty much anyone that wants to do it - could

now if you came up the dike or fafnir to the top - different story....

see you dudes sunday.
    Accomplishments:
    Fastest known time around the flume visitor center boardwalk
    Voted the "best barnes field" party organizer 2008
    Only person to get bit by a dog on mt washington
    Most known ascents of the picnic tables on the kanc
    Most rounds of the pinkhman notch visitor center stairs - also fastest known time of climbing the stairs from the gear room to the gift shop
    Adopter of la casa in millinocket and the cheap beer store in gorham

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post

Here's one conversation I had the first time I did Cannon:

Tourist: "Did you hike up here?"

Me: "Yes I did"

Tourist: "All the way from the bottom?"

I can relate. I got the exact same thing at the exact same location.
    "The laborers day ends with the going down of the sun, and he is then free to
    devote himself to his chosen pursuit, independent of his labor and his
    employer". Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMTHike View Post

I can relate. I got the exact same thing at the exact same location.
    Me too!
    I had just arrived on the summit from the Kinsman Ridge Trail off the Cannonballs, all grimy and muddy, and this well dressed couple on the loop trail gave me a disgusted look and asked where I came from...I told them Lonesome Lake, and they asked 'where's that'?...Then they told me I could have saved myself all the trouble and taken the Tram..
    People are funny.
    "If its not fun, why do it?"- Ben and Jerry

so whats up with the snow on sunday?
    going to make for a nasty ride home?