You bring cake, I'll bring steak! 2-22-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bear

Reaction score
Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
Just kidding! Although you all know I would love to get a good bonfire going on top and cook up some decent steak! Guess we’ll have to save that for a more suitable time and location!;)

The Plan!

For a couple of years now I have been planning to celebrate my 48th birthday in style with my friends and family by finishing the NH48 on Cannon. Those unable to hike can take the tram, those wishing to ski down or swiss-bob as I did last year, go ahead. It’s a blast and will peak your adrenaline!

The Date!

Sunday February 22nd,2009 with no rain or snow date planned. I will hike in either and dress accordingly but will dance for blue skies. Just kidding again, can’t dance but would conjure up a good Irish jig if I could and it would help!

The Time!

8am plus or minus a few. This should allow for anyone that hikes slow or takes ample time to enjoy the path to get down by dark or not if they like. You are welcome to start earlier or later if you wish.

The Trail!

Choose whatever you like! I will go up by Lonesome Lake and down by Kinsman Ridge unless the weather is poor enough to demand going back down by Lonesome Lake. May take time for North East Cannonball but not a priority.

The Goal!

To have a great time with great people and enjoy the path! My journey has allowed me to become acquainted with many diverse and wonderful people for which I am forever thankful! I just wish to extend an invitation to all of you to enjoy the close of this small chapter and that also includes those who wish to cross paths. Thanks especially to those who helped me realize so much fun on this journey and hope to see you there!:D

PS – Please don’t all bring cake because bears tend to roll down hill if they get going too fast!!!;)

Last edited:
Brutus Rooney got a cake with 48 candles when he finished all in one winter season on Cannon, 6 March 2005. :)

Doc, I often wondered if the big fella did any glissading down the slopes. The cake and the trip down would have been a sight to see. Sorry I missed that but glad I can keep up the tradition!;) My uncle had a big St Benard that was a laugh a minute out in the snow. Emo was certainly capable of bringing up a keg but we never brought him to task!;)

Last edited:
Sunday February 22nd,2009 with no rain or snow date planned. I will hike in either and dress accordingly but will dance for blue skies. Just kidding again, can’t dance but would conjure up a good Irish jig if I could and it would help!

You need a "Weather Prayer." See "Patton," (screenplay co-written by mad genius Francis Ford Coppola, before "The Godfather").

====================================

Chaplain: You wanted to see me, general?

Lt. General George S. Patton, Cdr., US Third Army, ETO: Oh, yeah, chaplain. I'm tired of Third Army having to fight the Germans, Supreme Command, no gasoline, and now this ungodly weather. I want a prayer, a weather prayer.

C: A "weather prayer," sir?

GSP: Yes, let's see if we can't get God working with us.

C: Gonna take a pretty thick rug for that kind of praying.

GSP: I don't care if it takes a flying carpet.

C: I don't know how this will be received, general: Praying for good weather so we can kill our fellow man?

GSP: I assure you, because of my intimate relations with the Almighty, if you write a good prayer, we'll have good weather.

And I expect that prayer within an hour.

C: Yes, sir.

[Next day, as allied planes cross the sky...]

GSP: Weather's perfect. Cod, get me that chaplain. He's in good with the Lord and I want him decorated.

==========================

Good luck, happy birthday, and best wishes for the 48th!

You can't get steak, but if you time it right (not noon rush) you can get burgers at the lodge at the top of the Tram!

I'll be there, most likely skiing the ski area until I get a call from my spy that you're near the summit, then I'll unclip and meet you at the top. ;)

On your descent, make sure to take the side path out to the ledges for the most extraordinary view of Franconia Ridge and Lafayette.

Last edited:
Maybe, just maybe Davebear. Does sound kinda like a replay of the Brutus (another bearlike critter) finish actually. We had cake, he had cake and steak...

Don't remember if he did the glissade. I do remember skiers coming at us head on as we hiked up through the woods though. That was exciting....

Last edited:
I'm planning on being there Dave...I'll have better treats then I left in your tent, I promise!! :p

Dave, congrats in advance!

I'm also really hoping to make it, but depends on how cooperative my stress fractured leg is feeling that week. That and I try to avoid hiking in 33 degree rain downpours, so let's hope for amazing weather =)

Dabnabbit!
I had to mention the W word! I *am* working that weekend, I'm so sorry I will miss your finish, Bear. :(
Congrats in advance! I am certain you will be surrounded by many smiling faces as you reach the summit!

Ahhhh... this sounds like it has the potential of being a fun day! I'm processing thoughts of trying to get there. We'll see what happens with weather and building...

Dave: this isn't the close of a chapter... it's the opening of another book!! You'll be unleashed!! ;)

Ahhhh... this sounds like it has the potential of being a fun day!

I've now marked this on my calendar, so a fun day will be assured! I'm looking forward to hiking with friends and having a burger and a beer (or two) on the top. Gotta love winter hiking. Maybe my buddy, Swiss Bob will make an appearance as well... ;)

Hey everybody! Thanks so much for so many responses to this! Thought I would give it a bump up and let everyone know I'm still planning to do this Sunday at 8am. Still have my fingers and toes crossed hoping for great weather but being a New Englander I'll take whatever I get! Please, even though this is on my birthday its not about gifts just comradery and having a great time! Hope to see you there and thanks again!;)