Wildcat - accessing via ski area?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most (maybe all) hikers who use the ski trails go down the Polecat ski trail. This is one of the ski areas that is very tolerant of (welcoming to, maybe??) hikers.

I went up and down the Polecat a few years ago. There were no problems. As you ascend, just keep all the way left and you'll be on the Polecat.
-vegematic

I've descended a few times in winter, using Polecat. Sometimes you'll see ski patrol types near the lift - not a bad idea to let them know you'll be descending. Gives them a head-up if they get a later report of someone walking near the trail. As Mohamed said, they're pretty tolerant of hikers.

went up and down via ski trails a couple weeks ago. got good advice from a member of the ski patrol about a route to take and they seemed to have no problem with my hiking the trails. i started up straycat and continued on all trails branching left from there (right on descent). this was in part because a number of those trails were closed at the time, but with the recent snow maybe not. i know polecat is the route most often used.

bryan

I descended Pole Cat twice. Both times. the ski area wasn't open. The views of Mt. Washington from the Polecat are incredible. I find it to be a very pleasant way to descend and one of my favorite trails.

One another trip, we stood at the top of the lift and looked down at the lodge. We could see our cars and drew a straight line to them. That was a big mistake. Our chosen route took us down several very icy and and some closed Black Diamond trails. The ski patrol came by and asked us if we were wearing crampons (we were). Satisfied that we were OK, they went on their way. We continued down but I'll always remember that being a miserable descent. Sometimes, the shortest distance between two points isn't a straight line.

Take the Polecat, you won't have any problems. Remember though, it's a beginner trail; stay to sides. As you're at the top of the lift looking down at the lodge, keep going right.

Don't try going down the trails on Cannon. They aren't too friendly to hikers. Last winter, we were at the summit after the lifts had closed when we approached by a ski patrol member. He made sure that we knew that there was no hiking on the ski runs ...... ever. Our route that day was the Kinsman Ridge Trail. In places the trail coincides with the Kinsman Glade ski trail. It was impossible to tell where the hiking trail began and ended in those places where the skiers had cut their turns. I will never hike the KRT when the Kinsman Glades are open. Sharing the trail with glade skiers is far too dangerous for my tastes. Why they routed the ski trail so close to the hiking trail is a mystery to me. I digressed from your question...sorry.

Have fun,
Glenn

Just a note too, if by any chance you hike with a dog, keep it on a leash when using Polecat. Even a trained dog who wouldn't leave your side will cause anxiety to some skiiersjust because of the fact they may be wary of it.
Last year when skiing I stopped and chatted to a fellow going up. His dog was very well trained but unleashed. I said nothing but noticed some parents with kids higher up on the trail stop and wait for the hiker to pass. Which mind you, is mighty decent of them, but considering the goodwill of the owners of Wildcat, if someone were to make a fuss could endanger future usage.

Wildcat & Cannon Ski Trails

Don't try going down the trails on Cannon. They aren't too friendly to hikers.

My understanding is that both ski areas are on WMNF land. Therefore, they cannot prevent you from hiking up/down the ski areas. Is there other info out there?

Courtesy and caution, of course, would dictate that you make the attempt to stay out of the way. And I imagine that hikers would normally do just that. A collision would not make for a good hike!

I have found the personnel at both Wildcat and Cannon to be VERY hospitable to me when I have hiked there.

My understanding is that both ski areas are on WMNF land. Therefore, they cannot prevent you from hiking up/down the ski areas. Is there other info out there?
This is untrue on many levels. :)

First, Cannon is state land. They can and do prohibit hikers on trails during the ski season. They will stop you and turn you around.

Second, WMNF land doesn't mean you have a the right to hike up/down. It all depends on the least the ski area signed with the NF. Wildcat allows hikers up and down, but I'm not sure it's because they are cool with it or if they are required. They can and do block hikers if grooming or snowmaking is underway. Other ski areas in the WMNF have their own policies.

I have used the ski trails at Wildcat several times..The people at the desk are always courteous and will show you the route which is evident in summer as a beaten path..less so in winter..

By staying left on the ascent and right on the descent you are rewarded with mostly moderate grades and absolutely stunning views...

For a little diversion in winter I drop off into the glade below Stray Cat and follow the yellow flagged ski area boundary to a point down below on Polecat..fun snow in the woods and gets you off the sometimes firm underfoot trail....

Last edited:
Double bow & I descended a couple of years ago, no hassles on Polecat. It's a nice way down

First, Cannon is state land. They can and do prohibit hikers on trails during the ski season. They will stop you and turn you around.

I had no trouble using a wee bit of Cannon's ski trail yesterday. Of course, if I thought for a second that using it was prohibited, I would have turned around.

In the future, I'll be sure to call ahead and ask next time, or to just continue up the hiking trail.

I had no trouble using a wee bit of Cannon's ski trail yesterday. Of course, if I thought for a second that using it was prohibited, I would have turned around.

In the future, I'll be sure to call ahead and ask next time, or to just continue up the hiking trail.

While I'm not questioning what David said, I have never had any issues with Cannon patrollers either time I've snowshoed a limited amount of upper mountain terrain (via Mittersill). Everyone's been very friendly. Of course, it's critical to stay at the edge of the trail and to stop moving when a skier is approaching (skiers have an easier time judging/avoiding stationary objects rather than moving objects).

In the past, Cannon has been very clear about not allowing skinning and hiking up from the bottom of the mountain. Since the Kinsman Ridge trail and the Mittersil backcountry access are in the area you can get by there. But I'd check with patrol before attempting any hikes on active ski trails.

CINDERSMOM and I traversed the Wildcat Ridge last January with Cinder. I was a little worried about having the dog along when we came into the ski area. We were standing there discussing whether or not to change from crampons to snowshoes when a member of the ski patrol came over, petted the dog and then made suggestions for the best way down (polecat) and for what he thought would be the appropriate traction to wear. They were very friendly and said nothing about the dog. They did notice that Cinder stays right at our side, we had the leash ready if required.

Nice in summer too

One July I climbed up the Wildcat Ridge Trail from Route 16, tagged D peak, and descended via the ski trails keeping to my right.

It was a lovely sunny day. The wildflowers on the slopes were wonderful, there were some ripe strawberries and raspberries, and the views of the northern presidentials were excellent! I worried a bit about the possibility of ticks, but came away unscathed.

It's a pain to carry all the stuff up, but I think the best way to go is snowshoe up on the hiking trail, alpine ski down (now you don't have to take the green circle and will be down in about 5 minutes). I did this at Tecumseh and was a blast - next up, Cannon.

...Our route that day was the Kinsman Ridge Trail. In places the trail coincides with the Kinsman Glade ski trail. It was impossible to tell where the hiking trail began and ended in those places where the skiers had cut their turns. I will never hike the KRT when the Kinsman Glades are open. Sharing the trail with glade skiers is far too dangerous for my tastes. Why they routed the ski trail so close to the hiking trail is a mystery to me.

KRT does not go through Kinsman Glade ski trail. A bit more than halfway up there is a fork. The more obvious path is to the right. This will lead you into Kinsman Glade ski trail. KRT actuallly goes left (and up more steeply) from this point. Once you reach the ridge the trail can be hard to follow in deep snow, but if visibility doesn't allow you to see the summit it's pretty easy to work your way back towards the upper part of the ski trails.

Many ski areas allow snowshoers on their trails. If you ask them, they'll recommend trails you should snowshoe on to avoid crowded trails. Stick to the side of any ski trail you snowshoe on to avoid collision with skiers.

Someone once posted about a ski area (Sugarbush?) that denied snowshoers access to their trails. Windblown XC SKi Area allows snowshoeing on their section of the Wapack Trail if you buy an XC ski pass. Better to ask ahead of time and avoid hassles. Wear your orange VFTT shirt so they recognize that you're being a caring steward in the mountains.