Fuel Consumption

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Judy and Emma

Reaction score
This question was posed by a new member on the MWO Forum. Not a lot of backpackers there, I figured it would be better answered here:

" Fuel consumption
I don't have a ton of winter backpacking experience, so my question is this.

What "should" I expect my per person daily fuel consumption to be.

1)Wisperlight International - White Gas - Heat Exchanger.
2)All camping will be done be below treeline or in a sheltered area - low wind.
3)Two freeze dried meals a day.
4)Melting snow for eating, drinking, sleeping.

Thanks folks."

I appreciate the knowledge and experience here and thanks in advance for the answers to this.

KDT

Last edited:
As a rule of thumb, I plan on using 8oz of white gas per day/per person for winter backpacking (no scientific data, just based on experience. Doug Paul??:)). I also always bring extra just in case.

Since stoves are our lifelines when winter camping, carrying a little extra fuel is well worth the effort...

As a rule of thumb, I plan on using 8oz of white gas per day/per person for winter backpacking (no scientific data, just based on experience. Doug Paul??:)). I also always bring extra just in case.
??? You don't have to answer to me. You have enough experience to have adequately supported opinions whether I agree with them or not.

MSR used to have recommendations on their website (~Jan 2006). They seem to be missing now, but from an old email: MSR recommended:
* 4 oz/person/day for cooking
* 8 oz/person/day for cooking + melting snow
* up to 15 oz/day for extremely cold environments (eg Antarctica)

Since stoves are our lifelines when winter camping, carrying a little extra fuel is well worth the effort...
I have generally found the MSR recommendations to have some margin if you aren't too wasteful.

On a longer trip, it is also worth having a second stove too. No stove can mean no water.

Doug