Camping near Ferncroft Rd

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stash

Reaction score
We're planning day hikes of Whiteface and/or Passaconaway from the Fercroft area and looking for somewhere reasonably close to camp. Blackberry Crossing would be good if coming in from the Kanc but that could make for some long days. Car camping stuff - not pack-in.

Thanks...

If you find one, let me know...Ferncroft is a long ways from anywhere, and I've been trying to find a place to spend the night before my upcoming Whiteface trip.

Sorry, but I wracked my brain overnight and couldn't think of a camping location that meets all of your criteria. It's the "not pack-in" that's a killer here. The only alternative that comes to mind is the Wonalancet Cabin. I haven't been there recently, and their website is apparently kaput. You could try the phone number I found: 617-661-6520. Maybe someone else knows the status?

Thanks for the replies folks. A web search on Wonalancet Cabin shows a for rent by owner rental at $175/night. Not quite the $15-20 tent site I was hoping for :(. I'll post if something appears...

Wonalancet Cabin status

FYI - Wonalancet cabin was sold years ago by the AMC to a private owner, and it has since been sold (to a VFTT forum member). Although active in the hiking community and known to many of us, they do not rent the cabin out. There are many members on this forum that have taken advantage of their hospitality (for 175/night less than the quoted rate, i.e. nothing). The $175 came from a web page advertising a cabin in Wonalancet - not Wonalancet Cabin).

Sorry, I don't have a suggestion for a Ferncroft campsite, but I wanted to clarify the cabin issue.

When is this for? Winter? Summer?

White Lake Campground is on NH 16 and is 12 miles away per Google Maps. Bear in mind that this campground can be quite the zoo. I still like it though.

Tamworth Camping Area on Depot Rd. (http://www.tamworthcamping.com/directions_attractions.htm) is only 7.5 miles away, but I've never heard anything about this campground before so I can't recommend it.

Last edited:
When is this for?

White Lake Campground is on NH 16 and is 12 miles away per Google Maps. Bear in mind that this campground can be quite the zoo. I still like it though.

Tamworth Camping Area on Depot Rd. (http://www.tamworthcamping.com/directions_attractions.htm) is only 7.5 miles away, but I've never heard anything about this campground before so I can't recommend it.

I assume that you're talking about the campground at White Lake State Park, which is closed in the winter. And so is the Tamworth Camping Area.

winter camping near Ferncroft

i have been searching the mental archives on this one and cannot come up with a viable option...

the Kanc seems far away but i guess it has to do with how far you are driving....

The state and NF campgrounds nearby are closed for the winter, there are commercial campgrounds that stay open all winter - I found one in W Ossipee but will let you find it for yourself as I know nothing about it
http://www.ucampnh.com/database/search.asp

If after reviewing the above rates you are willing to walk in a short distance you can camp for free in the NF, it's 1/4 mile from trailheads but less if you park elsewhere on some roadsides