Knee surgery..been there? done that?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best wishes,

BTW, a couple of years ago I was hikiing with a small group in the ADK's. The friend with the most experinence had a kneee replaced & was heading to have the other done in a year or two.

That day we did Macomb, East & South Dix (now Grace & Carson), Hough & Dix. With some rehab, you should be good as new, better than a few weeks ago for sure.

My left knee is showing some irregular wear, will work on rehab some more....

so far good vibes working tks all good vibes working quite tired and sm keyboard make this difficult.....funny post john.....tks again folks how much snow.

Good to hear you're doing well! The good news is you'll be able to catch up on your soap operas today! You always seem so downbeat when you miss Guiding Light.

Just a quick update, I spoke with Silverfox saturday morning with the intention of visiting him at the hospital but GOOD NEWS he'd gotten the OK to go home!!!!!

Pretty amazing that after a major joint replacement, he'd be going home after a few days in the hospital. And more inspiringly, he'd been able to put wieght on the knee and walk on it with assistance -- a freebie internet cafe for patients was his motivation! :p

I have a very strong feeling that he'll be back on the trails sooner than the average patient, here's to staying strong and healthy!

Thanks Sabrina

and everyone else who has posted good vibes my way during this situation..

Dr Miegle had spoken several times to me that his goal for active patients was to get them home in the 3-5 day..post-op..phase

yesterday was the third day but almost 4 since surgery had been at 8:00am wedsn

He and his team saw no reason to keep me longer that that..The PT folks had to watch me go up and down stairs etc and..through diligent practice at home the past few weeks on crutches doing that I did just fine.....

My ride arrived..home in Meredith by 6:00, Helen, who had graciously acted as transpotation coordinator for this event had her husband pick up a pizza and I enjoyed eating at home for sure.. I nodded off a few times..tried the different beds to see which would work the best and settled on the guest room..where I awoke this morning..clicked on NECN..and see a nice big snow coming..what better place to be than at home for that

thanks again..

time to do some stretchin

Dr Miegle had spoken several times to me that his goal for active patients was to get them home in the 3-5 day..post-op..phase
Some doctors are more aggresive than that and get patients out even sooner. But Dr. Meigel, he's quite a noted sports physician. He once treated me for a racquetball related shoulder injury.

Do your PT and enjoy it! The therapists seem to have an especially human touch.

Happy healing.

Congrats Mark!

Mark,
I have been following your thread with great interest and compassion as both my knees have no ACL's or cartilege.
Climbing is my passion so I do it inspite of constant hurt.

Your decision was a good, timely one ....and a brave one considering the onerous procedure)

Without poles on the descent I would be like the one legged man in an ass kicking contest, what with my almost straight legged downclimb gait.

My Daughter, who is an orthopedic sugical PA in Denver told me to wait (Im 64) until the pain is completely intolerable.
Im getting close.

I wish you my hearfelt best on recovery.
I do know one thing that is recurring in the othopedic field....Do the PT religeously and good things will happen.:).

How is the pain today?

Range of motion?

Warmest wishes,

Last edited:
Once PT is "done" (insurance runs out, or the PT decides you are good enough, where good enough usually means you can walk from the couch to the can without pain) you should consider continuing with a sports trainer. This was my path from patella-femoral syndrome to hiking without pain :D good PT will have the sports training in mind, but may be limited in the amount of time they can spend with you.

As a testament I am up to 12 plates on the leg press at the gym. As a precaution, I still only go to about a 30 degree bend in the legs.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Tim

Slow and steady Mark. Take good care of yourself, or allow others to give you a hand, during the first few weeks. You'll be glad you did in the long run!

Slow and steady is the best advice for sure...tks Cath.. I understand the plateaus that will happen and the good days bad days thing for sure...While in younger days I may have rushed back a bit from some injuries..younger..stupider..stronger..this is a big event and while i will push myself there will be no hurrying through PT

Excellent news! Keep us "posted" as to your recovery ... I think it's absolutely amazing that you're already home and able to move about under your own power. Modern medicine is amazing; the power and ability of our own bodies to heal when so well-trained by hiking, even moreso.

I do know one thing that is recurring in the othopedic field....Do the PT religeously and good things will happen.:).

no chance of the PT not happening..2 of my hiking friends, one with 7 rounds the other with a dozen or so full of good advice, inspirational messages..(as in..this is going to hurt) and pretty good meals so far...

How is the pain today?..pain today manageble..one percocet every 6 hours..regular ice and elevation..biggest pain today was the pecocet side effect but it is safe to say there has been "movement" in Meredith:D

Range of motion?not measured today 80 degrees flex..3 degrees extension yesterday excercise went pretty well..kind of a MD day off after busy day yesterday getting back home

note to pks4000... I am 56 and the time was right for this procedure..no way i could have lasted until 64 and one thing the docs all said..there is a fine balance between putting it off and waiting too long

thanks for the note

Let's stay in touch as you get back and feeling stronger and more agile.

BTW ...Before the procedure, where you able to bend your knees on descent while stepping down?

My ride arrived..home in Meredith by 6:00, Helen, who had graciously acted as transpotation coordinator for this event had her husband pick up a pizza and I enjoyed eating at home for sure.. I nodded off a few times..tried the different beds to see which would work the best and settled on the guest room..where I awoke this morning..clicked on NECN..and see a nice big snow coming..what better place to be than at home for that

thanks again..

time to do some stretchin

Great news Silverfox! Best wishes on your recovery to new and better things! Did they remind you to keep that baby elevated? If so, that's big. Forget the weather, click on Universal Sports channel if you have it and watch the Women's Downhill today.

Mark,

We met at the Mt. Clinton Road parking lot in early January (after it was plowed!) when I was hiking with John, aka 1Happyhiker- We spoke briefly and you mentioned your probable knee surgery- Glad to hear it went well and hoping you have an uneventful rehab which leads you back to the trail soon-

Marty