Flying with Superman to the Base of Whitewall Mountain (22-Jan-2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
Awhile back I agreed to do a X-C trek with avk4316 (also known as Allen). The plan was to start from the winter parking lot for Zealand Road and to X-C our way to Thoreau Falls, and possibly Shoal Pond if time permitted.

I have to tell you that I only began X-C skiing toward the tail-end of last winter. However, this winter I’ve been practicing quite a bit and have X-C skied with others on a variety of trails and conditions. So, I was feeling pretty confident about doing this trek, thinking that I’d come along pretty well with developing my X-C skiing skills.

So, today (22-January) the big day came and Allen & I were off on our prolonged X-C country ski adventure. OK, right off the bat I could see that I was outclassed when I watched Allen ski uphill nearly as fast as I’m able to ski downhill! This guy is a Superman! He’s faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and even able to leap brook-beds in a single bound! Allen, my man, you be good!!

Well, to continue with the story, Allen mercifully skied at a pace where I could keep up (barely! :eek:) But, because my pace was slower than had been anticipated, we only made it as far as the viewpoint at the base of Whitewall mountain near the junction with the Zeacliff Trail. At this point, we had reached our turnaround time.

Despite only having reached the base of Whitewall, it was a fantastic winter outing, and a great X-C ski adventure. Also, it was good to get a better feel for the distance I’m able X-C ski. This trek was approximately 14 miles round trip and (including some breaks) it took about 6:45 hours to complete. However, with Allen’s expert X-C skills and super-sonic speed, I truly think he could have made it to Shoal Pond in about this same timeframe, although he’s too modest to admit it. Just like Clark Kent! Like I said at the beginning, this fellow is Superman posing as avk4316 (a.k.a. Allen . . . or is it really Clark Kent??).

OK, now for a few photos!
Here is a photo of Allen trying to hold himself back, while I’m trying to keep up!

Crossing the Bridges Near the Zealand Beaver Ponds
100_0810.JPG

Here’s yet another photo of Allen skiing across the frozen Beaver Ponds (as I struggle to keep pace!)

Skiing Across the Beaver Ponds Along the Zealand Trail
100_0811.JPG

After reaching what turned out to be our final destination, here are a few photos taken from the Ethan Pond Trail at the base of Whitewall Mountain.

Looking Left (South) Toward the Hancocks
100_0813.JPG

Looking Right (North) Toward the Zealand Hut (barely visible, nearly dead center over the evergreens)
100_0816.JPG

Looking In Front of Us (West) Toward Zeacliff
100_0818.JPG

Looking in Back of Us (East) Toward Whitewall’s Cliffs
100_0817.JPG

BOTTOM LINE TO ALL THIS: Wow! What a terrific day in the Whites! I was able to test my limits of endurance for a prolonged X-C trek, and I got the opportunity to fly with Superman!

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Nice Report!

This is timely, as I am looking at skiing with Superman in the near future.:D

I will have to remind him that I am a VERY inexperienced x-c skier.:eek:

seriously, it looks like you guys had a great day out there!

Correction!

Your photos, John, are wonderful (as usual), capturing the essence of a day cruising through the sparkling powder in the variety of forests and viewpoints that Zealand has to offer. But the text of your Trip Report could stand some correction: your description of your ski buddy is somewhere between hyperbole and fantasy! I merely shuffled along, frequently thanking God when I didn't fall after I wobbled.
You have more xc prowess after a year than I had after a decade, and there are miles and miles of xc skiing awaiting you in the Whites.

. . . the text of your Trip Report could stand some correction: your description of your ski buddy is somewhere between hyperbole and fantasy! I merely shuffled along, frequently thanking God when I didn't fall after I wobbled. You have more xc prowess after a year than I had after a decade . . .
Allen, thanks for your generous words about my X-C skiing!
But, concerning your statement that you “merely shuffled along”, methinks that’s the mild-mannered Clark Kent speaking!

Oh! And here’s another photo from our trip. I just took a closer look at it. Are those flames that I see coming off your feet!? :rolleyes::D
Allen_Flames.jpg