Glacier National Park Guided Backpacking Trips

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuco

Reaction score
Has anybody ever been to Glacier and gone on a guided backpack trip- how about anywhere on a guided trip? Was thinking about doing this and weighing the pros and cons of a quiet lonely trip vs a trip with a park expert and a small group of strangers.

On a more personal note, I wanted to say congrats to members of our community Rob (i12climbup) and Carla on their upcoming wedding this weekend (did I get the date right?). Hope y'all don't mind a personal note here.

What? And they didn't want to get married at the Devil's Tombstomb with WR1 and WR2?

[insert tongue in cheek]That would be awesome[/remove tongue from cheek]

Congratulations Rob and Carla!

Have never been to Glacier though so can't help ya there.. Be prepared for bears!

I have never been on a guided backpacking trip but I once did a guided mountain biking trip in Utah.. Ride from Bryce to Zion via Western Spirit. Fun, riding was a lot easier than they seemed to advertise but the food was great, the guides were cool and I had a good time. Seems like the riding over here in the NE is a lot tougher, barring high altitude but then again, typically guided tours experience level caters to more of the general public and not hikers like you and I. Best thing would be to ask them about the miles per day, elevation gain, etc. etc.

Jay

Last edited:
Uh, huh .... we asked WR1 to marry us, but he said that we had to be related! :D :D :D WR2 couldn't do it either cuz he couldn't find his bible or his banjo. :p :p

Wanted to get married on top of a mountain, but the logistics were tough. The kinfolk were none too pleased with the idea either. Oh well, we got engaged in the Adirondacks ......... best I could do. :rolleyes:

Thanks, Eric and Jay .... very much appreciated. :)

Wish I could help you out with Glacier National Park but I haven't been there (yet). It's on my "to-do" list. A friend at work has been there ..... his photos were incredible.

I did the guided St. Mary boat trip to St. Mary Falls.

I also did the guided Two Medicine boat trip.

I think the "informative talk" added to my experience.

There are "campfire talks", in the park's campgrounds. The newspaper at the gate has a schedule, or get one at the Visitor's Center.

Best Easy Day Hikes, Short Hikes and Strolls, and Glacier Day Hikes are good references, for day hikes ..and well worth taking.

Glacier National Park is beautiful from any perspective, but only steps from the roadway, you are often completely alone.

The longer hikes, and camping, require permits. I understand there is a reservation system in place, and a first come first served system in place. Inquire.

Multi-day hikes are tough to set up, but not impossible. I have met people that got a 6 nights hike.

A canoe trip, involving camping, is also possible. I know people doing just that on Bowman Lake.

I have heard it is also possible to get an "off route" camping permit. Rare, but not impossible.

The Falcon Guide series trail guidebook is a good reference fro trail information.

The Two Medicine ranger station, and the St. Mary Visitor's Center have a ranger for permits, and trail information, including bear sightings, I know.

I don't get over on the west side, as much. I heard the ranger station over there has all the information.

I use the 7.5 minute National Geographic TOPO! series computer CD "Montana". The Glacier Park CD is 15 minute series ..and that is not good enough.

Climbing requires a special permit, and a special permit ranger has to approve you destination, your gear your party, you. Mountainclimbing in Glacier National Park is not specially good.

The book, A Climber's Guide to Glacier National Park is just plain wrong ! Routes described, no longer exist. But that is true for just about any "climbing route", in Glacier National Park.

Rotten rock.

I know only three places, for good rock practice.

Go over to the restaurant at West Glacier, on Tuesdays or something like that, and go along for the trip with "The Over the Hill Gang". No kidding. Those guys really know the park !

I have heard about "guides" but I am a co-founder of Outdoor Program, disapprove of guiding and I'd rather study the topo, the U.S. Forest Service maps, and the park maps, and figure on alternate routes, in case of severe weather, than support guides.

I think people get the most out of learning from the "old guys", rather than being shepherded thru.

I have never had a "bad hike" in Glacier National Park.

Thanks for all the info Connie.

I guess after reading the mountain lion attack thread I realized I left out the most important information on why to use a guided backpack, and that is it would also avoid going solo.

Not sure how realistic my concerns are but I am not thrilled about soloing in grizzly and mountain lion country. I would normally say whats the odds of a problem, but I'd hate to be part of the odds.

Maybe a better thread would be on how people feel about soloing in the backcountry of Glacier or any spot with "unfriendly" wildlife.

I misunderstood.

I thought you wanted to hike with other people. I solo all the time !

The main trick about mountain lions is do not look like food.

Do not jog. Joggers elicit a "food response". Mountain lions in the Oakland Hills in California have been shown to stash a dead jogger for eating later. This goes for bears also, usually found stashed under the bank of a stream bed. If you do hike with other people, stay together. No stragglers. Either that, or have a slow group, and a medium fast group. Stragglers look like prey. Mountain Rescue, you hear this stuff.

I have never thrown rocks at a bear, a mountain lion or a wolf. I think this is stupid. Why agitate a predator ? The risk is they become angry. If there is any question of territory, forget it !

Bears feel very proprietary about "their" eating places. If a bear is on the berry patch, or turning over rocks, or otherwise occupied with eating, this is not a good time for photographs, unless you have a very long telephoto lens.

I have a Falcon Guides "scats and tracks" book. I pay attention to my surroundings. I walk with a lightweight backpack, head's up. I talk or sing, if approaching a blind curve in the trail. Likely bear habitat gets a "snack break" while I evaluate the situation. For example, I never go into a huckleberry patch alone. If I smell or "feel" a bear, I either go back down the trail, at a normal pace, or, I ask the nice bear for permission to pass thru, speaking in a normal conversational and respectful tone, and wait for the bear, either to move off, or hunker down and stay quiet in the brush. I will stroll around a campsite for a little sightseeing, but I do not hike too early or too late in the day. Bears like to go up and down steep slopes to get water, at this time.

We are not at the top of the foodchain. This realization is what wilderness experience is. Many people feel threatened, and want to destroy anything natural that makes them know this. I happen to like my place, in nature.

I think the best way to avoid risk, is to stay home in your bed.

I have never had any trouble.

I even talked to a huge timber wolf stalking from thick brush parallel the trail. I said, I saw rabbit tracks on the trail, not far back. The rabbit does not have a gun and I have a gun. The rabbit will make a better lunch. This was not in the park, of course. No guns are allowed in the park. The wolf was surprised, and apparently that interested I knew that the wolf was right there. I had the gun ready, in my hand opposite the wolf, because predators are very, very fast. Fast, like a scarey movie. That wolf didn't jump for me.

I have heard of beating a mountain lion off with sticks, that was dragging a young child by the neck that had stepped into a thicket to pee. That worked. That child is fine. Do not step into a thicket. Often, the predator is hiding, or resting, in a thicket. Pee out in the open.