saddle and basin, Feb. 7th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got crampons? Due to the steep wall on the west side of Saddleback, it is highly recommended that you not do those 2 peaks in that direction. Personally, I won't even climb that wall in winter, but plenty of people do AFTER going over Basin via the Shorey Shortcut.

I'll start over. If you don't want to do Haystack, then hike to Slant Rock, cross the brook and go up and over the Shorey Shortcut to the col below Basin. Climb up and over Basin, descend into the col, then don your crampons to climb UP the wall to Saddleback's summit. Then you can descend Orebed Brook Trail back to Johns Brook by JBL. Good luck, and start early! :rolleyes:

If you want a challenging "starter" hike, then consider

Colvin & Blake

Nippletop & Dial

Street & Nye

Giant & Rocky Peak

any of these will give you a taste of what a tough day is, but you will only need snowshoes and there are no dangerous spots involved like Basin/Saddleback.

+1 for Giant in the winter!

Did it in March '07 and am kicking myself for not tagging RPR at the same time. (Although at the time, I was happy to just get up Giant, since I was pretty hosed from the previous day's ski/climb loop of Algonquin, returning via Avalanche Pass.)

Guess I'll just have to plan another ADKs trip to get Rocky Peak, then. :D

I'd say about a foot of fresh this week. Looked like someone went in towards Giant today.

There was at least 12" of new snow and some big snow drifts up high on Giant on Saturday. At least 8 of us went over to RPR; Giant received lots of traffic, so all trails are broken out now. RPR trails were getting a bit windblown, so there could be a little bit of breaking trail.

Have fun on your hike! Lots of elevation, but the views are absolutely fantastic!

Laurie

Looking forward to hitting them again, and wishing for a clear day to see the view. Been on Giant twice and RPR once, each time summits were socked in by bad weather. First time I did Giant and RPR together it was on a Dec 17, what a fool, had I waited 4 days I would have gotten winter credit. Hit Dix the day before that too. Hind-sight is always 20-20 :)

Giant/Rocky - Feb 7th

You may want to start a new thread - the Saddleback/ Basin heading is old news.

Yes, I tryed to change thread name but i guess one cant do that..

I've found that it will change the heading, but not the thread name. The only exception to that is when it actually DID change the thread name once, which was rather weird. I'm not exactly sure how that happened, but it made me happy!