AT hiking suggestions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoelTDahl

Reaction score
Could anyone recommend a good hike on the Connecticut portion of the AT where my friend Rajiv and I can be driven to the trailhead from his parents' place in Ridgefield at 4 or 5 on a Friday, camp before sunset, hike all day Saturday, camp again, and then hike a bit again on Sunday before his parents would pick us up at the trail terminus?

It seems the most logical thing would be to pick up the AT in Kent, CT (about 30 miles north of Ridgefield), and hike to West Cornwall, CT. Can anyone tell me if that would be a nice beautiful hike or not? It doesn't have to be extremely rugged wilderness, but I'd rather not be a few hundred yards from suburban backyards most of the time (or would I have to not hike in CT at all in order to avoid that?).

I'm a fairly accomplished hiker. Rajiv is very inexperienced, but in good physical condition. Would this hike be too strenuous for a first-timer?

Looking for info on this hike (or alternatives).

Thanks!

Joel Dahl

Northern Section

The Undermountain Trail is a good start, then head North on the AT. This is the most Northern section before the MA line. I've done this hike starting at dusk also, there are camping spots along the AT as soon as you get on it, although they are not 'legal'.

Lions Head - Bear Mtn. - Sages Ravine - Race Mtn. - Mt. Everett - Jug End ?

Hmm. Kent to West Cornwall.

I don't know quite so much detail about this section, but some highlights are, let's see: Caleb's Peak, St. John's Ledges, Breadloaf Mountain, Pine Knob.

"Lowlights" would be a few miles of flat walking along the Housatonic River. (I get bored with it sometimes.)

It's a nice hike - not too strenuous at all for someone in good condition.

I'd rather not be a few hundred yards from suburban backyards most of the time (or would I have to not hike in CT at all in order to avoid that?)

No, you won't be in backyards. Don't worry! There's tons of great hiking in CT as long as you're not hung up on 4000-footers. In fact, I'd say some the sections in NW CT and SW Mass rival plenty of White Mountain etc. bits. I've met thru-hikers who were surprised that CT was "so rough!!!" :eek: We may officially be called flatlanders, but that doesn't mean it really is flat everywhere. :D

The northernmost section in CT is really neat, but also really busy. One of the trips that I've done several times is the string listed above. Also the first part in SW Mass is excellent too (especially Race Mountain - little known, spectacular, and beautiful...

A hike that I've done as a nice two-day (with plenty of time to spare, at least at my pace) is the string above, starting either from Route 41 and staying on the AT or Bunker Hill Rd on the Lion's Head trail, which shaves 2 miles off. The whole hike is about 15 to 17 miles and has pretty rugged parts for this area, so use your judgement for a first-timer.

The mountain laurel should be great soon! Actually I'll go start a post on that now.

I'd highly recommend the earlier suggestion of hiking over Bear Mt., Mt. Race & Jug End. It's really the best that the CT and Mass. AT has to offer, imho.

Two options:

The first one would be to hike from Route 41 in Salisbury about 3.4 miles to Riga Shelter (over Lion's Head for your first night) which has a great sunrise view. Then hike 10.5 miles the next day to Hemlock Shelter in Mass -- over Bear Mt., Mt Race (which was my favorite spot on this hike) & Mt. Everett. Day 3 would be a short 3.4 mile hike to Jug End Road in Sheffield.

Another option would be to start just a little farther south at the Route 7/112 junciton in Salisbury. You could hike seven miles the first night to Limestone Spring Shelter (which sounds like a lot of miles but is really easy. I hiked this recently in three hours and I'm not generally a fast hiker.) You would get to see Rand's View the next morning, from which you can see all of the mountains mentioned above. Day two would be hiking 6.8 miles over Lion's Head to Riga Shelter. Day three would be hiking about 6.6 miles over Bear Mountain and out to Route 41 via the Undermountain & Paradise Lane Trails. (Parking area is about 1.5 miles south of the CT/MA state line.)

I enjoyed both of these hikes a lot.

- Ivy