Cabin Recommendation in Allegany S.P.?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurt

Reaction score
Now we're thinking of going to Allegany S.P. for some hiking/snowshoeing. Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular cabin and area of the park, esp. one that might be removed from the snowmobilers?

Kurt Strause

Stay away from Bee Hunter Trail as it is the seems to be the most popular for snow mobilers. I think the Summit Trail is the best for winter, it is next to the best sledding hill in the park as well as the Art Roscoe X Country ski center. It has the added benefit of having showers which some of the other loops do not have. All the cabins on Summit have two bedrooms with four beds but we have easily fit six. We were there after Christmas, no snow while we were there but since they have had quite a bit. At least a foot in the southern tier today alone.

Hey Kurt - I believe that all of the cabins are 'bout the same throughout the park. I don't have a trail map close-by, but seems it makes sense to find a cabin close to the trails you think you'll ski.

As WBB mentioned, there's plenty of snow around this neck of the woods. You'll have great skiing - enjoy!

When you planning on coming up?

Thanks for the replies. We're coming up Feb. 26 and staying for three nights. We've already booked a Weller cabin mainly because its got a wood-burning stove. Its in the Quaker Lake section. Glad to hear you've had some snow up there. We'll mostly be hiking and snowshoeing. I might bring along the X-country skis as well.

Kurt Strause

x/c option 2

I believe they still rent xc gear for cheap at the trailhead (and have a hot chocolate hut) if you don't have your own...but you should consider bringing your own sled, there is a nice 1/4 mile run my kids and I broke a sled on(and nearly a tail-bone;) )
nice variety of cut xc trails