Pemi Views Seldom Seen: (27-Jan-2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
The photo below was taken from the ledges on the southeastern tip of Owl’s Head. I have no way of knowing for certain how many folks have ventured to this spot to experience this view. However, based purely upon postings from VFTT and other sites, I would seem that very few individuals have been privileged to witness this particular view of the Bonds.
100_0843.JPG

Before getting started with some details about the journey to this destination, here is one more photo taken from this spot with a unique view toward the area of the Hancocks and Carrigain.
100_0846.JPG

Oh! And just one more thing before launching into some details of our trip! Chris (aka NeoAkela on VFTT) is not a photographer by profession, although I think he could be a professional photographer if he so chose! I fully expect that he will be posting some photos that he took during our trek, and they should be phenomenal!

OK, now for a few details about the trek. Two friends (Steve and Chris) and I set off on this adventure to Owl’s Head on 27-Jan-2009. However, as mentioned above, our destination was not the summit of Owl’s Head. Instead, we opted to embark on a bushwhack to the ledges on the south end of Owl’s Head. Steve had been to these ledges on other occasions and raved about the views from there.

Below is a photo (taken from another location on another trip) with a small red arrow pointing to the ledges we visited.
OwlHeadLdg.JPG

It was 6 degrees when we started, but we knew it would be warming up to the high teens. So, off we went at a good clip down the Lincoln Woods Trail. The views walking along the Pemi River are beautiful. However, this old logging railroad bed can soon become pretty boring unless you’re either doing it with other folks, or else you put yourself into a trance-like state if you’re doing it alone!

In a relatively short time we reached the Black Pond Trail junction. We were enjoying terrific hiking conditions: cool, very light breeze, and clouds which were beginning to clear. Once we reached Black Pond we stopped for a snack-break and the usual photo-op of Owl’s Head over Black Pond, etc. Below is a silhouette of a member of our team at Black Pond taking a break.
100_0829.JPG

The bootleg trail at the end of the Black Pond Trail was well broken out and quickly traversed. But, once we met up with the Lincoln Brook Trail, this is where our course of travel differed from those who would be going to the summit of Owl’s Head. Instead of continuing on the Lincoln Brook Trail, we crossed Lincoln Brook on very firm ice-bridges and then began our northward whack to the ledges. The whack up to the ledges was through mainly open woods with some beautiful birch glades. Parts of the whack were quite steep, and slippery snow conditions made for slow-going even with 3 of us rotating trail-breaking duties.

PHOTOS OF LINCOLN BROOK CROSSING & TRAIL-BREAKING
BrookCrossing.JPG
TrailBreaking.JPG
(Trail-Breaking Photo courtesy of Steve)
Along the way to the ledges we crossed over a century old segment of a former logging railroad located high above the current day Lincoln Brook Trail. As I understand it, this railroad traveled sort of a U-shaped route around the southern end of Owl’s Head. It’s amazing that with so many years having passed, the path of this old railroad is still quite discernable. (See photo below.)
100_0833.JPG

As indicated at the top of this report, we made it to our destination and got some incredibly unique views. But eventually, we had to rip ourselves away from ledges and begin the long trek back (roughly calculated to be about 6 miles staring us in the face!) Whenever you bushwhack and use bootleg trails such as the trail leaving from Black Pond, it’s difficult to calculate mileage with great precision. However, we guesstimated that this round-trip trek was somewhere in the vicinity of 11 to 12 miles *.

During our return, the nearly 3-mile long “Lincoln Woods death march” was traversed in the dark. But, it was a perfectly clear night and even though there was only a sliver of a moon, the light from the stars provided enough dim light so that it was unnecessary to use headlamps. And, to top off an already fantastic day, we saw a shooting star streaking across the sky just as we were approaching the Lincoln Woods trailhead!

1HappyHiker

* Subsequent to the original posting of this report, Chris was able to get a better fix on the original “guesstimate” for the trip mileage. Data from his Garmin 60Csx track-log showed a total distance of 13.8 miles. So, even if you were to deduct a few tenths of a mile from the GPS data for device recording errors, etc, it appears that the distance for this trek was at least 13 miles.

Last edited:
Wow -- breathtaking photos. Thanks for letting folks know about that part of Owl's Head, I'm sure many others will want to visit that section to take in those views! Excellent TR.

I hiked Owl's Head yesterday and kept looking at those cliffs and thought that would be a cool place to visit someday. If only I knew the path was broken out.

Bravo!

Great minds think alike. You guys actualized one of my White Mt fantasy hikes. However you guys live close enough where you can follow through with your fantasies.

It never occurred to me do this in winter though. I was thinking of attempting that hike next summer or something. I thought the views of Bonds would be as special and unique like you saw. The old RR is something I'd like to walk. The Owlshead branch peals off Franconia Brook Trail just south of where RR Brook crosses. Should be remnants of crossing over Franconia Brook to island of Owlshead.

Refer to these pictures from Dave Metsky's Hike the Whites website where he he's posted some pictures taken from Bond Cliff on Bob&Geri's W48 completion. I've always remembered these photos because they show the Owls Head Branch of the Logging RR so well.

top08.jpg

And this one shows your destination very well. and those nice open woods leading up to the cliffs. (Zoomed obviously) How was the last part? Did you approach cliffs from west or the east?

top09.jpg

Thanks a lot guys for sharing. I'm glad someone's living out my fantasies!!! :D

Amazing, John! I've personally found that part of the mountain a lot more enticing than the summit(s). Great to see what it looks like over there!

Refer to these pictures from Dave Metsky's Hike the Whites website where he he's posted some pictures taken from Bond Cliff on Bob&Geri's W48 completion. I've always remembered these photos because they show the Owls Head Branch of the Logging RR so well.
Ray, thanks! That was a good idea to post Metsky’s photos showing the path of the old logging railroad that we crossed on our whack up to the cliffs.
Did you approach cliffs from west or the east?
We headed toward them in a northerly direction from a point off the Lincoln Brook Trail. But don't head directly for the cliffs in a straight-line fashion. Stay in the vicinity of the drainage west of the cliffs and then eventually cut to the east for the final approach.
I'm glad someone's living out my fantasies!!! :D
It’s a tough job, but someone has to do it!;)

The approach to Owls head from the east has similiar views from the glades, but obviously not as unobscured as yours. Just be aware that the bushwhcking along the ridge from is pretty nasty with blowdown patches!

Excellent report and nice photos John..it sure was a fine day yesterday

I understand the death march thing..the Guinea Pond Trail sure felt like that as well...

you sure get to some to interesting places..your GPS routes in the Whites must be a spider's maze of off trail exploring...

Ever since reading of Steve Smiths trip to that spot in his book "Wandering Through the White Mountains" I have been very interested in going there....the tough part is finding someone/s interested in joinging me :D

Brian

Keep me in mind! You can bring along that fellow with the big nose and funny glasses too.

I have a (perhaps dumb) question: where exactly were you on Owls head?

Were you at point "A" on the map, the bump at around 3640+' at the end of the ridge just to the left of the name "Owls Head"?

Or were you at point "B", that little bump down to the east around 3040+' below the "d" of the name "Owls Head"?

Owls%20Head.jpg

The other thing: Roy made a report a few years back about whacking to this point (A or B?) a few years back from the top of the ridge. I think he came in from the slide. I wonder if he's reading this, he might comment on whether this "bottoms-up" route might be easier than his "top-down" route. I think he ultimately descended eastward and crossed the old RR bed on the east side. Roy? Are you there?

Thanks

Last edited:
I have a (perhaps dumb) question: where exactly were you on Owls head?

Were you at point "A" on the map, the bump at around 3640+' at the end of the ridge just to the left of the name "Owls Head"? Or, were you at point "B", that little bump down to the east around 3040+' below the "d" of the name "Owls Head"?
Hey Papa Bear . . . not a dumb question at all. For all practical purposes, we were at your Point B. (See map below for an ever so slightly more precise pinpointing of our location.)
OwlCliffMap.JPG

Great report, John! What an incredible day with beautiful weather and gorgeous views! I can't wait to go back again and attack the higher peak - wonder how the cliffs look from there?

Great photos as usual! I really don't have much to add, as yours really hit the spot, but here are a few extra that I'll tack on.

Here's 1HappyHiker surveying Black Pond prior to the great bushwhack:
a8.jpg

Across the pond, we spied our goal:
a1.jpg

After the rambling Black Pond 'whack, which unfortunately followed the crazed Orange Blaze course, we ended up at Lincoln Brook, where we saw some strange creatures:

A Shark:
a7.jpg

And the frozen, crampon-laden feet of a poor lost tramper claimed by the brook:

a5.jpg

Some gorgeous shots of Bondcliff were to be seen from two different ledges on the top:

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

Down again at the bottom, as the light was fading, gazing back at the cliffs:

a2.jpg

a6.jpg

And lastly, here is a little panorama shot from the eastern ledges - best if you can get your browser to fill the screen with the height of the shot. Here is another panorama from a tiny ledge hidden on the south edge of the cliffs where there was a great view from Anderson to Scar Ridge and all the way over to Flume. I reduced both down a bit in quality and size for a slightly faster load time.

Happy Trails! :)

Last edited:
Boy, these shots just keep gettin' better & better! Excellent color saturation! While not being totally overcast, it sure lends to vibrant color.Great job!

great pictures! once upon a time(march 1, 1986) I did a day bonds traverse with the amc. Half of us went from west bond summit straight west over that ridge, and then hit open ledges and woods all the way down to franconia brook trail. Talk about rare views! What a different perspective...its amazing when you get get to see these things, and better in winter when you are higher up in the snow with a better view