Wright slide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bourque

Reaction score
Can anyone provide me with good directions from Marcy Dam to the beginning of the slide on Wright?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave - which slides are you referring to? The ones that are visible from the Dam itself (those are the ski slides) or the 1938 Slide that is found on the south face? Let me know which one and I can help you out.

peace
Oysterhead

From Marcy dam continue along the trail towards Avalanche Pass. Find the Cagel Lean-to, which is the one hidden off the trail on the right, roughly 1/2 mile from the dam. Once there follow the brook down stream for a very short distance, until you see a large inlet on the further side. This is Wright Brook. Follow this brook up into Carabou Pass. The Brook will branch to the right but be sure to continue on the main source until you come upon a fairly good sized cairn that marks the way to the base of the slide. The hike along the brook is pretty open, and will seem to take for ever. Because your constantly thinking, did I miss the cairn, did I miss the turn. It's there, and probobly getting more obvious by the day.

If I am mistaken with any of this information, please correct me. It has been a few years since I've been in there. MrOysterhead, anything to add?

No that about sums it up. I just wanted to make sure which slide we were talkin about here. On the off chance its the ski slides - just take a compass bearing from the dam and you should be golden.

peace
Oysterhead

FYI - 1938 slide

I was just there a few weeks ago and there wasn't a carin marking the starting point. And there was no flagging either, so the start of this slide is a bit challenging.

Best that I can describe it is that it takes about 2 hours from when you start up Wright brook. You get to several spots that look like they could be the start of the slide. You finally get to a very rocky stream bed (the rock is clean) Follow this for about 5 or 10 minutes - the trick here is that there will be no resistance up to the slide - if you take the wrong approach there will be lots of reistance - trust me - I flailed about in here several years back.

And if you happen to find a blue northface sandle on the right hand side of the brook that was ripped from my pack, I would glady pay shipping and be forever in your debt! It's pretty thick back there...

ski slide?

Are the slides "skiable" in the winter months? I understand that there is avy danger and that, but when conditions are favorable, I bet those must be some SWEET powder runs...as well as quick routes down.

Dave Bourque said:
Can anyone provide me with good directions from Marcy Dam to the beginning of the slide on Wright?

Thanks,
Dave

I am talking about the ski slides. Most discriptions say to follow Marcy Brook until a good tributary comes in from the right. Follow that to the base of the slides. I would appreciate your directions. Also, how close to the summit does the slide bring you and how bad is the cripplebrush above there?

Thanks,
Dave

ski it! - the 1938 slide

I'm sure that you could ski it - but it would be a fast run as the slide is not that long - and it is steep!! Plus it would be tough getting back there, as the access is not right there, like the slides on Dix or Colden.

My thought would be to ski up the Wright ski trail - find the slide - which starts right near the summit - ski down it and then either work your way down the brook and back towards civilization, or even walk back up the slide and back out. I couldn't image thrashing all the way up to the slide via Wright Brook, walk up the slide, ski down it and then slogging back out down Wright brook again!!!

As far as the beginning of Wright brook leave the trail at the last point that you can see Marcy Brook (as you head towards Avalanche camps). Cross over Marcy brook and you should be able to find where Wright brook empties into Marcy.

Dave - if your talking about the slides that you can see from Marcy Dam - those have nothing to do with the 1938 slide that you access from Wright brook.

Best regards and happy hiking!

Last edited:
dave,

i did several snowboard tours over the winter to the slides - which i've heard referred to as "angel slides". they are visible as two slides which look like wings from marcy damn, and i believe are the NW aspect of wright.

i can offer you some directions, but would have a hard time giving you a good idea on how much bushwacking is involved during the summer season.

if you are coming from the adk loj, take a R on the trail just prior to crossing the damn bridge. if you are coming from the rangers trail ((forget the name, cross the bridge)). follow a foot trail past (if i remember) either 2 or 3 lean-to's. there are also 3 latrines around this area which may help as bearing points. this trail meanders a bit, but after the lean-tos, transitions into a drainage area. you can basically follow this stream drainage, i would cross it at any opportune time so that you are skiers right, hikers left ascending along the brook/stream. not sure on the mileage, but it should take you about 30-50 min. to access the slide drainage. this will be visible as a logjam of strewn trees. follow that up into the slide basin. from there, you are kinda on your own. i'd estimate that it takes about 30-40 min to ascend the slides, but that is in snowcover, so hard to say how long it will take now.

i will add that the area that breaks up the two slides is quite dense and required pretty tight trailbreaking. this may be the same case anywhere above the slide area towards the summit.

good luck, enjoy.

The ski slides are different than the one I told you about. The ski slides I believe are approached from the Whale's Tail ski trail. I have yet to explore those, maybe this summer.

wow

That all sounds like awesome news. I had a "western experience" this past March in Banff and these slides would serve as a good substitute. I think I might have to do some scouting this summer. Thanks for the info folks. I can't wait for snow!!!