For you Paris Expedition Sled fans and other boreal fools

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
In 2007 Børge Ousland and Thomas Ulrich retraced part of the 1895-96 sledge and kayak journey of Fridtjof Nansen and Hjalmar Johansen in the Arctic. Ousland and Ulrich towed kayaks over the ice and paddled when feasible, as did their predecessors.

Today I saw the Ousland-Ulrich video for the first time, which you can see free with iTunes as a video podcast at Ut i naturen: I Nansens fotspor. The spoken language is all Norwegian with no subtitles. Why would you, the non-Norwegian speaker, want to go to the trouble?

Well, partly because our little orange friend from South Paris, Maine, plays a prominent role in the trip. Ousland and Ulrich dragged Paris Expedition Sleds behind their kayaks. And the videography is fantastic otherwise, especially if you're boreal in your proclivities.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that an English version of Ousland's account of the trip, In the Footsteps of Nansen, will be published in February.

Last edited:
Paris makes a good sled. If you use care to transfer the stresses on the hitch contacts points so those to places aren't overstressed, a sled will last a long time.

And, points for "boreal proclivities"

Good to hear the PESs that have gotten good use! I haven't had a chance to use mine yet this winter...

Jay

I just bought two of them. I found them at the local Aubuchon Hardware store when I went in to get ice melt for my driveway. I grabbed the last two in the store. I gave one to my brother. I haven't used it yet but hope to with some trips coming up.

Woody