A trail to Little or Big Coolidge?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyF

Reaction score
I was looking on Google Earth and I saw this obvious path running north on the West side of Pollard Brook. It looks like it could be used to access Little or Big Coolidge. Does anyone know what this path is? An old logging road? Cell tower access road?

It's the old Osseo trail... check it out here.

I think the thing Andy is showing is a bit west of the old Osseo Trail (which, according to the USGS maps, followed Clear Brook, not Pollard).

oop's my bad... I'm looking at the drainage on the W side of Big Coolidge (Pollard Brook) and thinking E side drainage (Clear Brook - Old Osseo Tr)

Thanks Mohamed for speaking up.

Kurt

Definitely not the Old Osseo Trail. I noticed this while looking at the old Osseo Trail which is further east and follows Clear Brook.

I could be very well mistaken, but I think this might be a segment of an unofficial trail maintained by locals in the Lincoln area for accessing Little Coolidge.
Would you want to bet that a certain bookstore owner in Lincoln might know the answer?;)

I did the trail that leaves from the condos and heads up the ridge, what my friends and I regarded as "the old Osseo trail", about 4 or 5 years ago. It was well-maintained to the ridge. After that, it required some route-finding and navigational effort to find our way over/around/thru the blowdowns from the fir wave until it intersects the new trail.

It took longer than we anticipated, so we returned from Flume via the new trail.

I've been in that pollard brook drainage but only at its most upper reaches where you begin to climb BC. Didn't see any evidence of an old log rd but there's not too many old trees up there so it must have been logged at one time.I noticed the WMNF line runs up on the west side of Pollard Br on a map I have. That would be a nice approach if there was an old rd further down the drainage.

I have climbed both Big and Little Coolidge and at those times there was no trail to either summit, can't say what's been built since. I'd guess the line is a logging road that doesn't reach the summit.

Looks as though the line, whatever it may be, starts at the top of the rope tow on the ski hill at the Kancamangus Rec. Center.

The rec. center parking lot may be a better place to park over a neighborhood road if trying to investigate this. Then again, possible private property issues either way?

Last edited:
I've been told by some folks at the rec center that there is a somewhat well-trodden path up to the cliffs of Little Coolidge from the top of the ski slopes, but I haven't yet had the opportunity to check it out.