Musings about the Highland center

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sierra

Reaction score
You know, I try and try again to enjoy the Highland center, but it's not easy.It seems to have a wierd feel to it that is not at all condusive to a mountain climber ( now thats ironic). I went in the other day and paid 2 bucks for a small coffee, then was told I could not shower unless I stayed over. This is proboly old news to us all but heck, what a waste of a nice facility. i guess I base alot of this on my love for the base at Pinkham. I can always roll into Pinkham, sort my gear in the gear room, take a hot shower, eat all I want , then blow back out into the hills refreshed.
The Highland center is not what I would have hoped for and its a shame, its well constructed, but really, it doesnt feel like a place for climbers.
ok my rant is over.

I agree.
It's a routine stop for me when I reach the Whites. Usually all I expect is to pickup a trailhead parking pass, check out the books in the lobby. I may checkout the Washburn exhibit in the other building... again.
Those working the front desk are very good about advising non-guests about weather and trails.

To me it's hotel run by the AMC much like the Crawford house was. I could never expect it to live up to everyones expectations. Yeah a showering facility would be good.

DaveG.

You know, I try and try again to enjoy the Highland center, but it's not easy.

I know what you mean but my attitude is that, like Chinese restaurants, there are too many alternatives to choose from than to give another chance to something that does not meet your expectations or that you do not enjoy.

It might be helpful to let the AMC know your feelings in a constructive way.

My observation is that the Highland Center serves a prized and generous demographic that lends strong financial support to AMC's mission. Fine, but too bad they sometimes seem to write off those of us not in that demographic in the process.

By the way, I'll never complain about the cost of AMC accomodations ... no sireee, not after looking at the rates for similar accomodations in the Canadian Rockies. Maine Huts and Trails and others, on the other hand, offer comparable or better accomodations at lower cost. Competition for the backcountry dollar in New England can be good.

Last edited:
I never really thought about it, but now you mention it when compared to Pinkham it does seem a bit "off". It is nice to head into the Pinkham Cafeteria area and sit to wait for friends to meet up with, or to browse through the gift shop and muse over the Presiidential range 3-d map. But at Highland, except for the small common room with the fireplace, the rest of it seems a bit cold and unwelcoming.....

Brian

Good, plentiful, not cheap, breakfast. Clean bathroom. Cold beer. Warm fireplace. I've spread my gear out by the fireplace. It is what it is. I've never understood the mentality that the AMC owes us something.

Perhaps the AMC is distancing themselves from Pinkham's 'come in and eat, shower, and sort gear' plan. If you have fellow that you are introducing to hiking or whatever reason prefer the comforts of the Highland Center, yes the concept is appropriate. Many of us are very experienced climbers and would like the open doors to public at Pinkham and I think that it ought to be replicated at the Highland Center

I agree that it feels weird walking into the HC after a grubby or long or otherwise refreshing hike, like I need to change before I walk in or something. I do prefer Pinkham, where people understand why you savor a bar of soap after a few days out like it's a birthday cake. On the other hand, this cuts both ways... I think you can still borrow (and use to your heart's content) gear from the HC basement if you stay in Shapleigh. Free use of gear ain't bad for this price. (even though I lost my stinkin' reservation last month because of bizarre refund policies...)

Weatherman

While they technically the AMC does not "owe us something" they are a "non-profit" and have numerous buildings located on public land, including the Highland Center. Thats worth at least facilties to "pay" to take a shower.

I do agree pay showers there in one of the other buildings would be a great thing to have. It'd be great if there was some sort of other area there more hiker friendly. Personally I'm proud to walk in there and get a beer dirty and stinking. I do understand what the AMC is trying to offer at the HC vs Pinkham Notch though. If you look at their budget you'll see there are areas that make money and others that don't (I know that's surprising to many). If it were broken down, the Highland Center operations probably allow Pinkham Notch to remain open. Being a nonprofit doesn't mean they can lose money.

The Highland Center will never be Pinkham. It was not built to be so. It is part of the overall program and meant to compliment Pinkham and provide certain services that Pinkham could not and visa versa. I have taken it for what it is. Personally I didnot want it built to begin with but now that it is I have taken it in stride.

Over the winter they had a Christmas Tree in the lobby with a little write-up about how good Evergreen farming is the for environment.

Cool!

Now maybe they'll finally plants lots of Evergreens around the property to cut down the winds in the parking lot. I find the Highland Center parking lot to be one of the windiest places in all of the Whites. It's extremely belligerent.

Brian

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe the Highland Center is situated on public land, as previously stated. AMC owns that property and has for a number of years.

Ok, so it's a hotel for newbees and outdoor seekng families and has indoor plumbing.
It is big and a tad too commercial for my tastes.
BUT
If it adds more environmentally sympathetic folks to our population (and you can bet it does..in droves) and they can eventaully vote, its ok by this old guy.

I have so many fond memories from the old bunkhouse I can get pretty darn sad and a bit emotional looking at the replacement.

Last edited:
Highland Center

I must say that while I had heard tales about how un-hiker friendly the Hilton I had never been in the place until a few weeks ago. I had soloed Pierce..met up with lots of VFTT/ROT ers as they headed to Ike and an old friend from several hikes Luis who's group had also gone over to Ike.. I hiked down with him and offered a ride over to the Hotel..where his friends were going to meet up with him later....at that point, needing coffeeee, I decided, what the heck..get it here....The little common room comfy enough I guess..kind of small....the rest of it..well..I felt really out of place in hiking clothes and wondered if they had a boot check at the door.... I guess I understand the concept of building a place where people can escape to the country..be close to hiking trails etc... for those of us up here on the peaks and in the woods all the time the whole scenario seems a little out of place...being such a centrally located and busy hiking area it would make sense to me to have a "hikers basement" etc ala Pinkham ..oh well..I hear raves about the breakfast feed they put on so I guess it's not all bad

I agree with Maddy. Ever since the HC was erected I just don't feel the same way about the AMC. In my mind, Pinkham will always be what AMC should be about. I understand the need for all non-profits to create a sustainable revenue stream, and the fact remains that those who choose to pay the fees at HC are going to demand a higher level of service and amenities. If a greater stewardship of my beloved White's results from the existance of HC then I'll reluctantly say it really is a net positive.
OBTW: As far as developing more environmentally conscious visitors at the HC; every time I've been by the parking lot it's full of SUV's.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe the Highland Center is situated on public land, as previously stated. AMC owns that property and has for a number of years.

Correct. While the Pinkham facility is located on WMNF land under a Special Use Permit from the USFS, the AMC owns the land at the Highland Center, giving it much wider discretion regarding it's management. In fact, the AMC made it clear that the Highland Center was intended to serve a more "upscale" market than Pinkham. The facility seems to be mostly a conference center in an outdoor setting, rather than a base for outdoor activies. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's an entirely different focus than Pinkham.

The history of lodging in Crawford Notch goes all the way back to Abel Crawford in 1828. Here is a view of the larger-than-the-Highland Crawford House from the early 1900's.

Oh, and the road went through in 1803, the railroad in 1867, and the depot constructed in 1891.

There's some very interesting history there, just as an aside. :)

I've stayed at the bunkhouse a couple of times & I've found the patrons to be pretty friendly to a solo hiker. A gear room would be nice but that was the fight when they were building it.

On the other hand, everytime I go in PNVC's gear room, I feel like I'm getting the stare down from the other people in the room, ice screws, full pack, climbing axes or walking axes, it seems everyone is sizing the next group up.

Whenever I've heard people complaining about the Highland Center, all I can think of is "One Size Doesn't Fit All." I, personally, can't afford to go there for an overnight or even a meal, but I do think it meets a need and is a nice looking facility. It would be far worse for the location to be a private, gated property. The best of all worlds would be for all of us to have what we want, but how often does that happen? :rolleyes:

Last Christmas Day, our plans of having the S.O.'s parents up for the holiday fell thru at the last minute because of sickness. So rather than head back south for the second day in a row, we decided to take a holiday snowshoe hike in the Whites. After the hike, we stopped at the Highland Ctr for a bowl of soup but it turns out that they were having their holiday dinner. So we decided to join in and the deal was $20/head, all you could eat, and it turned out to be a fantastic time. Great food, great value, and we sat at a table with some great people. The Highland Center made our Christmas.

I've always liked the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.