Most Attractive Trailheads

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurchian

Reaction score
We have a list for best summit views and toughest trails, why not a list of most attractive trailheads and environs?

I climbed Passaconaway and Whiteface recently and I was struck by how nicely the Wonalancet Out Door Club (WODC) maintains the Ferncroft trailhead area. The sand parking lot is large and well-groomed. The kiosk is attractive, up-to-date and timely.

Not only is there a porta-potty but it is a clean porta-potty. As relucatant as I usually am to even open the doors of these things, I chanced it. Voila! It was clean and it didn't smell like sewage treatment plant.

But wait, there's more! As you leave the trailhead you walk along a dirt road past attractive typical white New Hampshire houses. The scenes you see are pastoral and very attractive. At first, I was chagrined that I had to walk along a dirt road for a half mile, as I was eager to begin the hike. I finally realized that this was "part of the hike" and I relaxed and took in the "views".

It is also gratifying that the private land owners have no problem with the trails going directly through their properties. There is even a sign at one point that says "Hiker's Welcome" located on a homeowners property.

So, although I have only nabbed 20-something of the highest 48, the Ferncroft trailhead and the approach to the Blueberry Ledge and Dicey's Mill trails has my vote for most attractive trailhead.

I have to agree. I've hit 40 of the 48 so far, and I've never seen anything quite like the Ferncroft area. The last couple miles of road before you get there are breath-taking as well. The almost completely flat fields and then the mountains rising up out of them is so cool. Most everywhere else there is a more gradual buildup.

I used to think that when I got old and wanted to retire that I'd move back to my hometown in Vermont, but after going there, I'm not so sure.

I'd say the Hancock trailhead, with the hairpin turn and views along the Kanc isn't bad either. But the trail and the summit isn't really that great.

Most of the rest all look the same.

One of the most attractive trailheads I have seen is the Buttermilk Falls in the Northern Delaware Water Gap NJ. It is one of the most scenic areas that NJ has to offer. The drive to the trail head is very impresive. You go through the Walpack Valley were you get great views of the Rolling fields and the Kittatinny ridge in the backdrop. From the Valley the ridge looks much higher than what it really is. Then as you approach the trailhead you drive along the the bottom of the ridge through a steep Hemlock area. The trailHead itself sits at the Bottom of the Buttermilk Falls. The whole area reminds me of a Vermont Post Card. The best times to hit the area is Spring and Fall.

I don't know about most attractive, but as for least attractive (and hardest to find for me) I'd say the Tumbledown Mountain Loop Trail trailhead in Weld, ME. You had to head down a few different logging roads with a lot of undocumented turn offs and false trailheads. The only way to find the trailhead was to count your mileage after the last turn (but you didn't really know which turn was "the last turn" so you had to count from each turn and look for a landmark :p).
The trailhead was a small rotting wooden sign nailed to a tree a short distance into the forest.. Whatever it used to say was weathered off. The only way we knew it was the right trail was beacuse someone had written "YOU FOUND IT! LOOP TRAIL" in permanent marker on a small piece of plastic attached to the sign.

We were on the road the same day it opened back up to the public for that summer, so maybe this has changed since then :p
Beautiful trail and mountain though.

^MtnMike^

I agree 100% with the statement regarding Ferncroft and would like to add the following: On my last trek down from Passaconaway I realized that one reason that it is so attractive is the absence of traffic noise. The return to the trailhead without the approaching traffic noise, especially trucks down shifting as they climb to the top of a notch road is most relaxing.

It’s not exactly pretty, but I think one of the more interesting trailheads (from a historical stand point) I’ve been to is the Upper Works trailhead in the ADKs. The parking area sits in the middle of the abandoned mining town of Adirondac.

I always liked the start of the Great Gulf trail when it left Dolly Copp. As you drove there you pass a field with a beautiful view of the Imp Face, park at the Ranger's Information Center and head off. The trail started in a nice soft sandy area and slowly swallowed you up so that after 10 minutes you felt you were leaving your busy world behind. Then it slowly hanged into a nice wood walk to the Wilderness boundary. I think it was a mistake to move it - now it's a connector trail.

Ferncroft, been back there 4 or 5 times in every season, fall is especially scenic.

Hardest to find for me was also Tumbledown, well worth it though.

Are we limited to the NE?

I'm partial to Denali National Park, no real trailheads to speak of. Awesome views of the range from anywhere south of the park road.

NE, I love that wooded gate on the AMR property to Lake Rd. I guess it's not a real trailhead but it does get access to the river and the AMR trails below the Great Range.

Jay

I would have to say. The AMR in the Adirondacks, so far for me. The walk along the paved road is very nice with the views of the mountains.

But AlpineSummit has a very good point.

I like Chapel Pond parking lot at the base of Giant in NY. I think we should limit to the NE since alot of western trail heads are above treeline and will easily win out for view. For example Icefields Parkway visitors center & campground in Jasper NP (base of most of the Athabasca climbs), and ofcourse Paradise and Sunrise parking lots at Mt Rainier NP. I also second Alpine summit's comment, almost all trailheads are nicer on the way out.